The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You can when, in 4 years potentially a top-5 contract for a RB now may be outside of the top 10.  While the salaries for top RBs haven't elevated as quickly as other positions, it's still going up on average.  We talk about how teams like the 49ers don't pay any big name RBs...that's a mistaken theory...they spend more money on that position than any other team in the entire NFL, while the Vikings are #24 (and only 2 other teams below them actually made the playoffs last year).  The Vikings actually have been one of the most balanced teams in the NFL in positional spending.

So the Vikings are #24 now for RB spending ... let's keep it that way ... and not give out a big extension to Cook, that would lead to Vikings soring in that ranking. 
(Does this RB pay ranking, take into account FBs too? It should)

14 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

So the Vikings are #24 now for RB spending ... let's keep it that way ... and not give out a big extension to Cook, that would lead to Vikings soring in that ranking. 
(Does this RB pay ranking, take into account FBs too? It should)

It does...it accounts for both positions.  

And in response to @vikingsrule, while I agree with you that they should just let him play out the contract, I'm not going to po'ed if they do extend him...unless it's for Gurley/Zeke money...because he certainly doesn't deserve that high of a contract on the basis of his performance/health.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It does...it accounts for both positions.  

And in response to @vikingsrule, while I agree with you that they should just let him play out the contract, I'm not going to po'ed if they do extend him...unless it's for Gurley/Zeke money...because he certainly doesn't deserve that high of a contract on the basis of his performance/health.

My fear is that he will end up right up there with Zeke or Gurley. Which is insane because I don’t know how you can put Cook in that class when those two signed their deals.

• Like 1

I think Gurley and Elliot reset the RB market in a downward direction. I would think teams not named NY Giants will be looking at Gordons contact as a starting point. No RB is worth north of 10m at this point in the NFL, anything under 8m for Cook I would be fine with. 

59 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

My fear is that he will end up right up there with Zeke or Gurley. Which is insane because I don’t know how you can put Cook in that class when those two signed their deals.

No doubt he is targeting right behind that.

I don't see Melvin Gordans free agent 2\$16M as a reasonable comparison for what Cook camp would remotely consider.

Edited by CriminalMind

35 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

No doubt he is targeting right behind that.

I don't see Melvin Gordans free agent 2\$16M as a reasonable comparison for what Cook camp would remotely consider.

Gordon’s contract is about the only thing I would consider, when Cook hits the market in a year. How is Cook more deserving of a big contract than Gordon? Wouldn’t you say these two are fairly comparable?

59 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Gordon’s contract is about the only thing I would consider, when Cook hits the market in a year. How is Cook more deserving of a big contract than Gordon? Wouldn’t you say these two are fairly comparable?

On field production is only one factor. Other factors is that Minny invested a high pick (opposed to zero investment from anyone else beside LAC), and that Cook is still relevantly well liked in Minny (whereas Gordon had worn out his welcome in LAC). Leverage for Cook camp.

If your a good RB signing with a new team, your prolly not getting a "great" contract, compared to those retained from their original teams

Edited by CriminalMind

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

On field production is only one factor. Other factors is that Minny invested a high pick (opposed to zero investment from anyone else beside LAC), and that Cook is still relevantly well liked in Minny (whereas Gordon had worn out his welcome in LAC). Leverage for Cook camp.

If your a good RB signing with a new team, your prolly not getting a "great" contract, compared to those retained from their original teams

Is a mid second round pick really a high investment? I’d hope that Spielman isn’t so convinced he must sign his draft picks where he throws a bunch of money at Cook. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Is a mid second round pick really a high investment? I’d hope that Spielman isn’t so convinced he must sign his draft picks where he throws a bunch of money at Cook. 

Yes a 2nd round pick (41st overall)  is a high investment -- and considering the Vikings traded up to get Cook by using their 2nd and 4th rd pick it emphasized their want for him even more. It was a great decision, and keeping him would be equally great. I love the 1-2 punch of Cook-Mattison. Keep this offense rolling. 

On 4/3/2020 at 2:20 AM, babababa said:

Yes a 2nd round pick (41st overall)  is a high investment -- and considering the Vikings traded up to get Cook by using their 2nd and 4th rd pick it emphasized their want for him even more. It was a great decision, and keeping him would be equally great. I love the 1-2 punch of Cook-Mattison. Keep this offense rolling. 

I'd rather see him walk, pick up a 3rd compensatory pick, and draft another RB (depending on if they see Mattison as a legit starter or not).

RB's just shouldn't be paid crazy money. Its not worth it unless you're legendary like AP.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'd rather see him walk, pick up a 3rd compensatory pick, and draft another RB (depending on if they see Mattison as a legit starter or not).

RB's just shouldn't be paid crazy money. Its not worth it unless you're legendary like AP.

Your last sentence is right and calls into question your first sentence. I do not believe there is a reasonable chance of Cook signing a contract as a free agent that would put him at a third round compensatory level.

Melvin Gordon just went for $8M per year which will likely have him counting at the fifth round level. With luck, Cook might sign something that puts him in the 4th round level but I wouldn't be counting that unhatched chicken.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Your last sentence is right and calls into question your first sentence. I do not believe there is a reasonable chance of Cook signing a contract as a free agent that would put him at a third round compensatory level.

Melvin Gordon just went for $8M per year which will likely have him counting at the fifth round level. With luck, Cook might sign something that puts him in the 4th round level but I wouldn't be counting that unhatched chicken.

Then that just comes from a misunderstanding (still) from the comp formula. Thanks for pointing that out. You're my go to guy for this stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Trade Dalvin now.... Jeeze. 

As I just told someone else, based on this, I'd put Dalvin's target at about $12-$13M...and that's too rich for my blood.  I wouldn't trade him though...I'd let his contract play out and then let him test the market.  And when he doesn't get anywhere near that, let him come back for $10-$11M.

• Like 2