The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't think anyone has said that.

From what I’m seeing a lot of people think that letting Cook walk away and replacing him with a lesser talent RB would be a good idea and I’m saying it’s not. Cook is a special talent especially in today’s football where he can be dangerous running and catching the football. His main knock is that he’s injury prone, and I get that, but so is everyone else in football besides the QB. It’s a contact sport, players get injured. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Purplepride323 said:

From what I’m seeing a lot of people think that letting Cook walk away and replacing him with a lesser talent RB would be a good idea and I’m saying it’s not. Cook is a special talent especially in today’s football where he can be dangerous running and catching the football. His main knock is that he’s injury prone, and I get that, but so is everyone else in football besides the QB. It’s a contact sport, players get injured. 

That's not what I quoted, or what you said though. No one is advocating for me to go play RB for the Vikings. There is a baseline for talent that many RBs meet. The argument is that paying for talent beyond that baseline has diminishing returns, and that finite resources are better allocated elsewhere. You don't agree with that argument, and that's ok!

Arguing that Cook's injury history isn't a concern because anyone can get injured is disingenuous at best.  

If they want to keep cook around and have the cap space next year to make it work, then Tag him. The biggest problem with longer term investments in running backs is the position's longevity and the fact that when RBs fall off, they dive off cliffs.

It's not unreasonable to extend a 25 year old running back to a "reasonable" three year deal and by year two hes completely diminished.

@Krauser mentioned earlier in this thread the contrast between giving a guard a big deal and drafting a RB in the 2nd vs the inverse basically being a wash. This very well may be true, but again, my concern is longevity. Lets assume all players are the average age for a draftee and second contract earner, That OG is significantly more likely to play out the terms of the contract at the expected performance level at the time of signing than the RB.

Well at least I suspect as much and I'm sure the groundwork for such a claim has been proven (the memory of such is floating at the back of my mind lol)

• Like 1

So, out of arguments sake, what could Jim Brown in his prime expect to receive in compensation.  Now, you young folks may not agree, but Jim Brown was the best football player ever...bar none.  What would he make?

17 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Quite a few have. One guy said Cook was average lol can’t make this up

36 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

So, out of arguments sake, what could Jim Brown in his prime expect to receive in compensation.  Now, you young folks may not agree, but Jim Brown was the best football player ever...bar none.  What would he make?

I didn't see Jim Brown play, but I would give Barry Sanders $18M a year, as no one could tackle him...he was the Detroit Lions.  

Edited by swede700

5 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Quite a few have. One guy said Cook was average lol can’t make this up

One guy even said Gus Frerotte was more valuable than Adrian Peterson. Can’t make that up either. The level of disrespect 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

One guy even said Gus Frerotte was more valuable than Adrian Peterson. Can’t make that up either. The level of disrespect 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Position-wise, the QB does impact the game more than the RB...however, in the case of Gus Frerotte (or even Christian Ponder in his case), the RB can be so far and above the average RB that he will be more valuable than the QB.  Arguably though, Cook is not in that class.  I'd say he is above an average RB, but not so far above that he could surpass the value of Kirk.  

18 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

🤦🏿‍♂️Just gotta let people talk and move on. I believe that dalvin cook is SPECIAL and can do things nobody at his position can. I’m just happy that many fans who spew this nonsense are just fans and not really with the team lol or we would be in for losing seasons for years. 

1 hour ago, Illadelegend215 said:

and can do things nobody at his position can

Like?

All of the other RBs on the Vikings had similar numbers in proportion to their work load. So what makes him special? Not just being a good player, but what makes him irreplaceable?

Edited by SemperFeist

1 hour ago, Illadelegend215 said:

🤦🏿‍♂️Just gotta let people talk and move on. I believe that dalvin cook is SPECIAL and can do things nobody at his position can. I’m just happy that many fans who spew this nonsense are just fans and not really with the team lol or we would be in for losing seasons for years. 

The level to which Cook is being overrated has become incredible. He’s a talented RB who’s good when healthy. He’s not a uniquely talented player though like a Peterson or McCaffrey. He’s not a top 5 talent at his position and he certainly doesn’t have multiple years of production to justify a long term commitment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I agree and it’s best to take the high road most of the time. I think most people wouldn’t know talent if it hit them in the face. Last year in the first eight games, he was in the league MVP race, now some Vikings fans are saying he’s not even a top 5 RB. I would understand if a Packer fan said this but Vikings fans? I don’t get it. Guess everyone’s got their own opinion, even if it’s wrong. That run after the catch against the Redskins last year. That was my favorite play of the season. He probably cut like 10 times on that play. Hope we get to see that for at least another 4 yrs. 

Edited by Purplepride323

25 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I agree and it’s best to take the high road most of the time. I think most people wouldn’t know talent if it hit them in the face.

That is pretty humorous seeing those two sentences in succession.

Stuck up much?

• Like 4