A.M- Life After Marcus Watch (options?)

KingTitan

Just now, -Hope- said:

we badly need to upgrade some spots on the OL but aside from that, personnel-wise we’re probably one of the better landing spots for a QB in terms of potential for quick success. now, on the coaching front.....who knows lol

I really liked Vrabel going into the last two games and I still do. I don't like what we're doing offensively, but he tried to get Ryan Day and then got Matt LeFleur. LaFleur wasn't good, but he had no real way of knowing how he would do as a play-caller.

Idk what the hell Smith is, but with 3 OCs on a row calling the same games, it almost makes me wonder if that's what they feel is Mariota's strengths. He isn't great throwing outside the numbers so maybe that has something to do with it.

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I really liked Vrabel going into the last two games and I still do. I don't like what we're doing offensively, but he tried to get Ryan Day and then got Matt LeFleur. LaFleur wasn't good, but he had no real way of knowing how he would do as a play-caller.

Idk what the hell Smith is, but with 3 OCs on a row calling the same games, it almost makes me wonder if that's what they feel is Mariota's strengths. He isn't great throwing outside the numbers so maybe that has something to do with it.

vrabel was impressive as an in-game coach last year and i’m pretty shook at how bad he’s been the past two games. hopefully that’s an aberration but who knows.

that’s sort of what i wonder with the OCs as well, but it’s really just hard to say without seeing what they’d do with another QB. mariota’s always been better throwing to the middle of the field dating back to college, but that doesn’t necessary mean we need to run the kind of tight sets we constantly do- all that seems to do is get our OL killed and neutralize any sort of spacing advantages we could leverage. i really don’t know, and i guess we can’t know for sure.

I think we need to clean house on the offensive side of the ball as far as coaches and players. Unless Smith improves dramatically, then bye bye. Marcus it’s time to move on from. Haven’t really focused too much on the QBs in the draft yet but I don’t want anything to do with Tua or Herbert. Burrow wasn’t very good last year. Bringing in Brady from the Saints has clearly made him a draftable QB. Can we get Joe Brady with him as well? Need a guy with a clue on coaching offenses in this day and age. Thought we had that in LaFleur but he was stubborn at times with RB usage and his QB and OL wasn’t very good. Plus it seems he wasn’t very liked.  This franchise has missed on 3 straight QBs. Can Robinson bring one in for a change? Hasn’t had a chance to get his QB and he’s definitely turned the talent around but it hasn’t been good enough. Just think we need to clean house on the offensive side. Obviously that idiot coaching the OL hasn’t done any good so he’d be the first one out the door. 

27 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I think we need to clean house on the offensive side of the ball as far as coaches and players. Unless Smith improves dramatically, then bye bye. Marcus it’s time to move on from. Haven’t really focused too much on the QBs in the draft yet but I don’t want anything to do with Tua or Herbert. Burrow wasn’t very good last year. Bringing in Brady from the Saints has clearly made him a draftable QB. Can we get Joe Brady with him as well? Need a guy with a clue on coaching offenses in this day and age. Thought we had that in LaFleur but he was stubborn at times with RB usage and his QB and OL wasn’t very good. Plus it seems he wasn’t very liked.  This franchise has missed on 3 straight QBs. Can Robinson bring one in for a change? Hasn’t had a chance to get his QB and he’s definitely turned the talent around but it hasn’t been good enough. Just think we need to clean house on the offensive side. Obviously that idiot coaching the OL hasn’t done any good so he’d be the first one out the door. 

I agree that we need to clean house on the offensive side of the ball. We need to bring in someone who has a clear identity of their offense and it needs to be a modern, QB friendly one. They need to have called plays before, too

i have no faith in JRob to pick a QB because, frankly, his drafting is mediocre. Doesn’t mean he won’t/can’t, but I have as much faith in a QB that is JRob-approved than I do any of his draft picks...and it’s hit or miss at this point 

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I would give up one future first if we loved a guy, but that's about it. Outside of the OL the team is ready to win now, we just have to get good QB play. We really need to bolster the OL. 

I really like Burrow also. I think he ends up going higher unless the small amount I've seen of him isn't consistent. I really like Herbert in one game last year and then watched several more and he was meh. I think Fromm goes later first and I kinda like him too.

If all it took to move up for a QB that they really like, then that would be an acceptable price. 

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

we badly need to upgrade some spots on the OL but aside from that, personnel-wise we’re probably one of the better landing spots for a QB in terms of potential for quick success. now, on the coaching front.....who knows lol

Well, that would be our situation now, but next year, we lose Jack Conklin, Derrick Henry, Logan Ryan, Wesley Woodyard, and Dennis Kelly.  We could probably keep a couple, but before that, we're going to be going into 2020 needing to replace our starting RB, RT, and CB, and losing a depth piece at OT and LB, along with the needed improvements at pass rusher and DL.  That's a much lesser position for a young QB to be in, and we certainly ain't winning a Super Bowl with a rookie QB either.

In 2021, we'll have Delanie Walker, Corey Davis, Daquan Jones, Jonnu Smith, Jayon Brown, and Adoree Jackson hitting free agency.  Replacing that many core players over a two year span, especially if we have fewer draft picks, will be tough.

25 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I would slow down on cleaning house.  These were Smith's first three games as a play caller, and one of them was excellent.  He's still learning.

The reason I'd be fine moving on from Smith even as an unknown, and why I didn't love the hiring, is because he's a product of really, really terrible offenses. It's all he knows in the NFL...he's a product of whatever you want to call our offensive culture since he's been here.

I just want someone who's going to come in here and try something new. 

51 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

The reason I'd be fine moving on from Smith even as an unknown, and why I didn't love the hiring, is because he's a product of really, really terrible offenses. It's all he knows in the NFL...he's a product of whatever you want to call our offensive culture since he's been here.

I just want someone who's going to come in here and try something new. 

Yeah, I think we all do. I thought LaFleur would be that, but he was basically a zone concept Mularkey in an offense that didn't have Walker.

If we're getting a new QB and Smith doesn't improve, I'd like to get a new OC to pair with the new QB.

8 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Yeah, I think we all do. I thought LaFleur would be that, but he was basically a zone concept Mularkey in an offense that didn't have Walker.

If we're getting a new QB and Smith doesn't improve, I'd like to get a new OC to pair with the new QB.

Yea with LeFleur we thought we’d get McVay or even Shanahan. But he’s like shanahan x1000 worse. We gotta get a guy who actually has implemented an O before so we have an idea of what we are getting ...from a fan perspective at least haha

A guy that I'm loving who may not be an 1st round guy, is Brian Lewerke from Michigan State. 

Can run and move. Has a live arm. Good person. Smart IQ. 

A good Senior bowl could put him in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

He looks to have the tools. He is having a good start to the year.  Just someone else off the radar to watch. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Heard talk of Panthers maybe moving on from Cam Newton at the end of the year, due to injuries, performance and money.

Would you be interested in him next year as an option?   I wouldn't. 
What say you?

Interested, yes.  Probably not for the money he'd want though.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Heard talk of Panthers maybe moving on from Cam Newton at the end of the year, due to injuries, performance and money.

Would you be interested in him next year as an option?   I wouldn't. 
What say you?

I’d love Cam but If we don’t know how to use Mariota I’m pretty sure we would ruin Cam as well

On 9/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, TitanSS said:

I don't know a ton about Ryan Day, but know he's running a pretty dynamic offense at OSU. If that's what Vrabel wanted, why would he hire LeFleur? LeFleur had to have shared his POV for our offense...slow and heavy sets. Smith is just LeFleur 2.0 (and worse so far). So what the heck was Vrabel thinking?

14 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I don't know a ton about Ryan Day, but know he's running a pretty dynamic offense at OSU. If that's what Vrabel wanted, why would he hire LeFleur? LeFleur had to have shared his POV for our offense...slow and heavy sets. Smith is just LeFleur 2.0 (and worse so far). So what the heck was Vrabel thinking?

Vrabel being a defensive guy is probably always going to struggle with the offensive staff. LaFleur wasn’t good, Arthur hasn’t been good, Keith Carter hasn’t been good, Shaun O’hara has been mediocre at best, Tony Dews has been pretty meh considering it was Eddie George’s pep talk that got Henry going...

48 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

From what I understand, Lafleur was hired under the recommendation of Jon Robinson.  Vrabel didn't know him but after Lafleur interviewed for the HC, I think Robinson recommended him to Vrabel as the OC. 

It really hurts me to think that we were going to go in that direction for an offense and didn't because Day stayed. I think if Day gets hired we might be talking about a different team and a different Marcus. 

• Like 1