General News and Notes

.Buzz

Hey all you cool cats and kittens, I have a question for you. With you guys taking a QB at #2, do you think you'll trade Gardner Minshew this off-season? If so, what do you think would be the price tag on him? Rams have a need for a backup QB.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Hey all you cool cats and kittens, I have a question for you. With you guys taking a QB at #2, do you think you'll trade Gardner Minshew this off-season? If so, what do you think would be the price tag on him? Rams have a need for a backup QB.

I would imagine a 4.

We dealt a 5 for Dobbs (not that this was smart, but...), so I have to imagine we'd need more than that. He'll be an excellent backup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

No telling what new management will do. Me personally, I’d keep him as the bridge starter and then once the rookie takes over have him be the backup. Minshew seems like the perfect backup for this team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jacksonville-jaguars-gardner-minshew-frustrated-starting-job-doug-marrone-mike-glennon-012443130.html

“It’s so frustrating,” Minshew said Monday, via ESPN. “I pretty much went and begged before the Cleveland game [two weeks ago] to be able to play. It sucks, you know. There’s no way around it.

“I want to be out there. I want to be helping our team, but if helping our team is me being the best No. 2 I can be, then that’s what I’ve got to do right now.”

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Honestly, who knows.  I can see a world where they just keep him as a stopgap/insurance policy for a few weeks until a rookie is ready to step in.  I can see a world where they want to maximize value and just move him while he's still worth something.  The biggest thing is...we don't even know who "they" is at this point.  Whoever they hire as the new management, is presumably going to have a huge impact on what happens with Minshew and what he might cost.

He's going to be a great backup in the league for a long time i think.  But it's questionable if he can just be that for the Jaguars in the future.  It's always hard to go from "starting QB" to "backup" with the same team.  Especially when you had the sort of wild out of control over-hype on personality that he did.  So i could very much see a new GM coming in and just wanting to wipe the slate clean, and move Minshew for a 4th round pick or something, if the interest is there (and it probably should be).  The Rams would probably be a great fit for him, but i could see other teams really interested in a competent backup QB/stopgap guy, on his exceptional value contract for now.

• Like 1

Well, they finally aired it out that they have zero ties to JAX and free to the highest bidder.

We can all accept the London situation to help keep JAX viable is BS.

Idk how this gets repaired. The president just said they've been a "free agent team" since they bought them. Like...

10 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Well, they finally aired it out that they have zero ties to JAX and free to the highest bidder.

We can all accept the London situation to help keep JAX viable is BS.

Idk how this gets repaired. The president just said they've been a "free agent team" since they bought them. Like...

Part of this is clearly just "posturing" in a negotiation from the Khan camp.  They're obviously out to make the most money they possibly can.  Whether that means strong-arming the city into spending a ton of taxpayer public money on a project that most benefits Khan...or actually moving the team.  They finally explicitly played that card, but they've had it up their sleeve the whole time.  It's basically "give us a bunch of free money or we're moving the team".  It's a hand that you don't really play, unless all of the parties involved implicitly understand that moving the team is a completely viable and even attractive option.

It's where, for a while now...Khan and his crew have been saying the right things about commitment to Jacksonville...but actions speak louder than words.  And the actions they've taken have screamed "small and cheap goodwill gestures" while refusing to commit to anything substantial that they couldn't walk away from without breaking a sweat.  It's hollow proposals that they know aren't going to work, or move forward with any actual financial commitment on their end.

At this point, it really just comes down to Jacksonville's municipal government trying to figure out if they can survive without the key tenant in their big stadium and "downtown" draw.  And how much they could actually afford to charge taxpayers to keep the team, and fund Khan's personal pockets.

Edited by Tugboat

Just seems like the way they're talking they'll threaten to leave whenever they have issues/the city won't cave to their demands.

I agree that the Lot J will pass based on what I've read, but they also said in a few years a new stadium will be on the docket, no? Idk...just seems odd to say stuff like this and upset an already pissed off fanbase with the whole "viability" term Shad likes to use.

Idk what I'd be feeling like if I actually lived in JAX/FL.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Just seems like the way they're talking they'll threaten to leave whenever they have issues/the city won't cave to their demands.

I agree that the Lot J will pass based on what I've read, but they also said in a few years a new stadium will be on the docket, no? Idk...just seems odd to say stuff like this and upset an already pissed off fanbase with the whole "viability" team Shad likes to use.

Idk what I'd be feeling like if I actually lived in JAX/FL.

The writing is on the wall they are about to give the city a mixed bag of BS til the point where the fan base won’t even care anymore.. It’s going to be a Baltimore Colts pull the moving trucks up in the middle of the night type deal. 

14 hours ago, Tugboat said:

And the actions they've taken have screamed "small and cheap goodwill gestures" while refusing to commit to anything substantial that they couldn't walk away from without breaking a sweat.  It's hollow proposals that they know aren't going to work, or move forward with any actual financial commitment on their end.

I see this a lot, and yeah I guess a lot of it is stuff that doesn’t hold the team on the hook, but which team has done more to show a commitment to their city?

Weaver was 100% committed to the city and he didn’t do anything even close to the “cheap goodwill gestures” Shad has done until he sold the team, and even that was solely just negotiating a longer lease. The Ford family is 100% committed to Detroit and you don’t see them doing these “cheap goodwill gestures” even though Detroit needs them far more than Jacksonville does.

The fact is that Jacksonville is one of the 5 least viable cities right now among those with a professional sports team. Stuff like Lot J and stadium upgrades are absolutely going to be completely necessary to keep the city from being the least viable market in American professional sports and to actually allow the growth both Shad and the NFL as a whole want. The Jaguars growth rate last year was tied with the Chargers for second worst in the league, and the Chargers are in a city that doesn’t even want them there.

Lot J and the like isn’t an obscene ask either. Like even the Chicago Cubs, who play in the most iconic stadium in America have started massive developments over the last few year to make the area around Wrigley more enticing and as a whole a destination, because even they understand that simply selling a game and a long trip back home doesn’t work anymore. It’s the same the Cowboys did with Jerryworld.

People aren’t going to spend a boatload on a ticket to go to a game and then a hefty Uber charge back home anymore when they can instead watch the game on an 80-inch TV in HD. You have to be able to sell the game as an experience in stadium and in the surrounding areas. Going down to the stadium at noon, getting out of the game at 4:30 then heading over to a restaurant at 5 and then going shopping until 8 is a far easier sell than the dump that currently resides around the stadium. You’re not just selling a game anymore, you’re selling an atmosphere everywhere around the stadium. And ultimately, it’s not exactly unreasonable for Lamping to make it clear that the Jaguars need the same viability everywhere else has/is working towards or they need to go somewhere else to make it work.

• Like 1