Week 5 GDT: Bills vs. Titans

KingTitan

2 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

this is my problem with mariota 0 pocket awareness, once he gets pressured early on he picks up bad habits, gets skittish in the pocket & run into a sack. Look the OL is terrible I swear I get that it’s not perfect but man how you don’t know where’s your safety blanket, your emergency check down is open. At the 8 sec Mark Delanie should sit it down & mariota should throw it to him. Quick throw 🗣year 5

I just feel like there’s this desire to manufacture QB issues. A defense rushes four and drops seven into coverage on 3rd and 8, and the QB is under immediate pressure up the middle and off the left and right edge, I just don’t know why anyone sees this and thinks the problem is with the QB. And if you think any realistic QB option available this offseason is going to do better under these circumstances, you’re going to be super disappointed.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I just feel like there’s this desire to manufacture QB issues. A defense rushes four and drops seven into coverage on 3rd and 8, and the QB is under immediate pressure up the middle and off the left and right edge, I just don’t know why anyone sees this and thinks the problem is with the QB. And if you think any realistic QB option available this offseason is going to do better under these circumstances, you’re going to be super disappointed.

Again in the game of football every pocket isn’t going to be clean, I’ve said it again and again. The OL are playing like trash no excuses but as I’ve said before, what separates the good QBs, from the bad 1s are the intangibles. Andrew Luck for crying out loud took far worst beating as Mariota, but he still got it done. Deshaun Watson Russell Wilson, Wentz I see a lot of QB’s under pressure yet they still know when to get rid of the ball. It’s year 5 & marcus still has 0 pocket awareness he gets skittish & takes sacks when sometimes all he needs to do is get rid of the ball. Facts are right in front of you 8 second mark. Delanie wide open nobody is in Mariotas face, I’m sorry he’s not going to have a perfect pocket to sit there all day.

22 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I guess the funniest thing is that if Marcus hits the top of his drop and immediately throws it to Delanie for a 4-yard gain on 3rd and 8, there’s going to be a dozen complaints in the GDT about the decision.

Not really because football is a game of inches, Delanie might could’ve gotten the 1st down, it’s 50/50 depending if Humphries take the the LB with him or if Delanie catches it & makes him miss. But a 4 yard completion is better than taking a sack. I truly believed we’ve screwed the kid. Mentally he’s skittish in the pocket & he runs into pressure. All marcus has to do is drop back a lil more he drifts right then drifts left because he panics. I really don’t want us drafting another QB not with Vrabel & Arthur running the show. 

32 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

No one is saying that he caused the pressure. But he had the check down available and wide open in his immediate sight. That's what it's there for. 

Also, yes, maybe a rookie QB won't be able to pick up on the pressure and neglect it by throwing to his check down constantly, but at least it'd be a rookie, not a 5-year vet.

• Like 1

I just find you guys insane then. That’s fine. I will never ask my quarterback at the exact moment he hits the top of his drop, to abandon his first two reads in order to give up on a drive. If the defense is sending pressure, sure, give him a hot read. There was a great example of that Sunday where we converted a third down because he recognized a nickel blitz and got the ball out hot to Humphries.

This just isn’t a QB not functioning because he doesn’t have a clean pocket. It’s an offense not functioning because the highest paid LT in football, a supposedly elite guard and a top 10 pick at RT all lost individual battles immediately and simultaneously.

• Like 1

I think I figured out why I’m bothered by the criticism of this particular play (and I’m clearly bothered by it). For years we’ve accurately and fairly criticized Marcus for panicking and lowering his eyes in the face of pressure.

Now we have a play where he senses pressure coming from his left as soon as he hits the top of his drop, his first instinct, correctly, was to slide to his right while keeping his eyes downfield, but Lewan and Saffold were beat so hard inside that the play has broken down. Even then, he tries to get away from the pressure, but is trapped by a free rusher because our two best linemen were completely overwhelmed by a simple stunt. For me, this is a play where his instincts were right. His line was just so bad that he still got punished for it.

I just can’t fathom watching a play where the three linemen we’ve invested the most in get horribly beat and the takeaway is that our QB, who saw a four-man rush, didn’t hit his check down in 1.5 seconds on 3rd and 8.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I just find you guys insane then. That’s fine. I will never ask my quarterback at the exact moment he hits the top of his drop, to abandon his first two reads in order to give up on a drive. If the defense is sending pressure, sure, give him a hot read. There was a great example of that Sunday where we converted a third down because he recognized a nickel blitz and got the ball out hot to Humphries.

This just isn’t a QB not functioning because he doesn’t have a clean pocket. It’s an offense not functioning because the highest paid LT in football, a supposedly elite guard and a top 10 pick at RT all lost individual battles immediately and simultaneously.

But he did give up on a drive, that's the issue. Big time. There are times when holding onto the ball might be the thing to do, that was just not it. 3rd & 8 in your own 15, in a 0-0 game with a lot of time to go, and his check down is wide open. Instead he takes a sack 10 yards behind the LoS and forces us to punt from our own EZ. It's just not smart no matter how you try to spin it. Sure, his screw up isn't the only issue on that play, there's first the failing to pick up the stunt between two players that were playing together for the first time. That doesn't excuse it, and it's a big issue nonetheless. But he had a pretty easy way out, that would've put Delanie in a position to either pick up the 1st, or gain enough yards to give our All-Pro punter a chance to flip the field. The fact that he's still not picking up on this and continues to fails to do the little things that would help this team in the long run, is concerning.

🤦🏽‍♂️ This criticism on mariota goes to what I keep saying he’s missing intangibles things you can’t coach. Understand me when I say this. Football is a game of inches correct. Okay going in we knew buffalo was a great defense & we have to take what the defense gives us & take our shots when the opportunity presents itself. Mariota on that play has to have a QB mindset it’s a 1 possession game, game isn’t out of hand. If we don’t convert I’m take what the defense gives me punt the ball trust my defense will get the ball back & boom me & Arthur talk X’s & O’s adjustments. It is year 5 year freaking 5 & he’s still is skittish in the pocket has no pocket awareness. Again our OL isn’t playing great but neither is Watson or Wilson, Andrew Luck was a dayum pro bowler with no OL till his last season, 🗣Intangibles the ability to make something out of nothing work with what you got uplift your team. That’s is all agree to disagree