We should keep haskins on the bench.

mar29020

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So what would you like to do, cut him?

That'd be silly. We've w̶a̶s̶t̶e̶d̶  used a 1st rounder on him. We can see what he has. But there have been A LOT of rumblings about this lately. There is reason to be concerned. If we finish with a Top 2 pick, we HAVE to do our due diligence. Arizona actually looks smarter for it at this point. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

He’s a project who was over drafted. I don’t know if he’s a bust Or will be good-and we should give him just some spit duty this year and treat it like a redshirt year. 

just saw @turtle28 comment and was struck how much better Haskins would look if he was playing for Kyle Shanahan who’s offense is also complicated and much better. Haskins had had a “teacher” who was a lazy incompetent “nice guy”. Let’s not “Ramsey” him and see where he is after an off-season with a new hopefully quality coach. Reasonable? 

Kyle runs the same offense as we do. They run a west coast system and it took a long time for Jimmy Garapolo to pick it up. Remember when they traded a 2nd for him two years ago and CJ Bethard continued to start for another month or maybe more bc Jimmy couldn’t run the offense yet. He didn’t fully grasp it until last year, then he tore his ACL and now finally this year - after he’s been in San Fran for 3 years has he finally grasped and has total control of Kyle’s offense.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

That'd be silly. We've w̶a̶s̶t̶e̶d̶  used a 1st rounder on him. We can see what he has. But there have been A LOT of rumblings about this lately. There is reason to be concerned. If we finish with a Top 2 pick, we HAVE to do our due diligence. Arizona actually looks smarter for it at this point. 

Well, that’s why Haskins needs to start the second half of the year, so we know more about what we have - and IMO should have started since the Giants game - and to me it seems silly for the press and others to continue to berate a young, raw but talented developing quarterback too. I’m so over how the press is reporting the Dwayne Haskins not starting yet situation .

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

Well, that’s why Haskins needs to start the second half of the year, so we know more about what we have - and IMO should have started since the Giants game - and to me it seems silly for the press and others to continue to berate a young, raw but talented developing quarterback too. I’m so over how the press is reporting the Dwayne Haskins not starting yet situation .

Maybe because they're frustrated like you are and keep bringing it up like you do for that reason. 

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Stop with the overdrafted crap. Literally everyone on the planet had this dude in the top 15-10 picks of the draft. That doesn’t change because he was picked by the Redskins. 

I said throughout the whole process he should have been a 2nd round pick.

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Maybe because they're frustrated like you are and keep bringing it up like you do for that reason. 

It just comes off the wrong way when they constantly write about how he’s not ready and what’s wrong with him, he should be ready, and then they take players comments out of context like they did with Peterson and write an entire story based off of that. Their headlines are just click bait/attention grabbers which, I can understand when I used to blog, I did the same thing to get more website hits!

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I said throughout the whole process he should have been a 2nd round pick.

Saying it and him actually being available are two different things. If we didn't take him, the Broncos probably do and then its highly questionable if Lock lasts till we pick in round 2. 

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Saying it and him actually being available are two different things. If we didn't take him, the Broncos probably do and then its highly questionable if Lock lasts till we pick in round 2. 

Flacco is out and they won't even activate him. Rypien is ahead of him. Lock might be worse. 

I don't think he's ready. But I think that this point, you need to set a date (for example purposes, we'll choose Week 12 - November 24 against the Lions) and tell him that is the date he is going to be the starter.

Then start developing goals for him to achieve. Simple things like preparation, getting in and out of the huddle, ect. Two weeks before, have him start going through the scouting package he would normally get and have Alex Smith walk him through the process. 

At some point we need to see what he can do, but he also needs a ton of work to get there.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Stop with the overdrafted crap. Literally everyone on the planet had this dude in the top 15-10 picks of the draft. That doesn’t change because he was picked by the Redskins. 

I completely agree.  There was a solid period of time when Murray was seemingly going the baseball route that Haskins was being considered as the #1 qb in the draft.  Taking a qb with a top 3 pick or trading up for one puts a lot of extra pressure on the success of the player, but not at 15.  15 straight up, that is nothing for a potential franchise qb.  Sure it would be a lot nicer if you get a Minshew late in the draft but that is just luck, because if it is anything but luck, if a team actually believed he was a franchise player then the jaguars and every other team would have drafted him higher.

People need to be honest about the situation.  Drafting qbs is gambling.  No one has figured out the formula, but you still have to play to win.  They are regularly overdrafted because it is the most valuable position in sports.  But it doesn't matter you got to take a chance on this.  There are plenty of things to kill our front office about, but this is not one of them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

You have made accusations like this dating back to Jason Campbell with no actual proof.

Let’s think about this, Haskins is just 3 years removed from HS where, he probably didn’t have a playbook. At Ohio State they don’t have an extensive playbook either, their offense isn’t too much different than what RG3 ran at Baylor but a little more to the passing game.

Then, he gets to the NFL and goes to a team that runs one of the most complicated offenses in football to learn and from what I can gather his first he’d coach didn’t spend any time in trying to help him learn it bc he was too worried about getting Keenum ready so that Keenum could try to save his job.

Multiply people "with Knowledge " said it - not me . I just surmised ..IF.. that is the case he must be lazy or stupid , or both - Seems like a logical conclusion .

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Multiply people "with Knowledge " said it - not me . I just surmised ..IF.. that is the case he must be lazy or stupid , or both - Seems like a logical conclusion .

Or, he’s just not developed enough to run a very complicated NFL offense bc he’s never ever had to call plays that extensive in a football  game before he got to the NFL. Let’s not try to overreact 

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Flacco is out and they won't even activate him. Rypien is ahead of him. Lock might be worse. 

I thought Lock was injured. Ahh!!! Brett Rypien, my draft man crush. Oh how I wanted to draft him in the mid rounds.

Edited by turtle28