2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Are the Nationals now the favorites to trade for Cubs?

A better question may be, what do the Cubs want to get from Bryant? Are they expecting to compete this year, or are they looking to restock their farm system and go for it in a couple years, while they still have a trio of Schwarber, Rizzo, and Baez?

there was a rumor(not sure how true) of Bryant & Jason Heyward to the Phillies for Segura & Bruce. the philles can take on money.

1 hour ago, flyguy1609 said:

there was a rumor(not sure how true) of Bryant & Jason Heyward to the Phillies for Segura & Bruce. the philles can take on money.

Just because they can take on money doesn't mean they should. Where is Heyward going to play? CF? Dude is getting old in a hurry and his defensive prowess is already slipping. 

Why trade for Heyward when you can sign Ozuna and Donaldson/Rendon?

3 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Just because they can take on money doesn't mean they should. Where is Heyward going to play? CF? Dude is getting old in a hurry and his defensive prowess is already slipping. 

Why trade for Heyward when you can sign Ozuna and Donaldson/Rendon?

Heyward(roughly 4 yrs & 96mil left) was the throw in, get Bryant to play 3rd. Heyward can be a 4th OF or something.  Phillies  have Haseley, Cutch, Harper, Odubel(not sure if they keep him or not) Kingery can play some OF.

6 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

Heyward(roughly 4 yrs & 96mil left) was the throw in, get Bryant to play 3rd. Heyward can be a 4th OF or something.  Phillies  have Haseley, Cutch, Harper, Odubel(not sure if they keep him or not) Kingery can play some OF.

Sounds like they should just trade straight up for Bryant. Heyward isn't so bad that he's a 4th OFer, but he probably needs to play a corner OF spot. It also sounds like they have plenty of 4th OF types and need to spend that money elsewhere. Like a bullpen or pitching depth. 

• Like 1

In fact, the Nationals have made an initial inquiry to the Cubs about trading for third baseman Kris Bryant, sources say.

What happens if the Cubs trade Bryant and the grievance is adjudicated that the Cubs manipulated service time, and Bryant is granted free agency a year early? 

Edited by Slateman

24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@Slateman I'm guessing that the Nationals are  talking to the Cubs about what the price would be if the grievance is resolved and Bryant doesn't get to FA a year earlier. That way, when it's resolved (which will apparently be this offseason), the groundwork is done.

That makes sense. Maybe a dual scenario where they settle on a price either way. 

19 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

https://nypost.com/2019/12/09/yankees-actively-shopping-j-a-happ-to-soften-gerrit-cole-money-blow/

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Yankees are "actively looking to trade" J.A. Happ

Hey guys, will someone take this dead weight off our payroll so we can go overpay for the best pitcher to hit free agency in the last five years?

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

Hey guys, will someone take this dead weight off our payroll so we can go overpay for the best pitcher to hit free agency in the last five years?

Wait, wait, wait....the NYY cant overpay. They make billions of dollars and money's no object for them. Right? Thats what I keep hearing from people anyway LOL  Will they overpay for Cole? They appear intent on trying at least. Will they be successful and get him? Remains to be seen.

Edited by Leader

6 minutes ago, Slateman said:

That makes sense. Maybe a dual scenario where they settle on a price either way. 

I could see that too. I'd imagine it might be a little awkward for the Nats to bring up "so...if you guys lose that grievance" in the middle of trade discussions but there's no reason they absolutely couldn't or anything.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I could see that too. I'd imagine it might be a little awkward for the Nats to bring up "so...if you guys lose that grievance" in the middle of trade discussions but there's no reason they absolutely couldn't or anything.

I don't think it's awkward as much as being honest. Can you imagine if they agree upon a deal prior to a ruling, and the ruling comes back with Bryant gaining free agency a year earlier? Then the Nats say, "Hmm …. naw, we ain't doing that for one year of Bryant." That's more awkward. Setting up multiple scenarios is just doing your due diligence.

If it meant somehow keeping Kieboom, I'd be pretty stoked about one year of Bryant. The way I see it, the Nats have 2, maybe 3 years, of life left in Scherzer and Strasburg before those salaries become albatrosses. 

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

Are the Nationals now the favorites to trade for Cubs?

A better question may be, what do the Cubs want to get from Bryant? Are they expecting to compete this year, or are they looking to restock their farm system and go for it in a couple years, while they still have a trio of Schwarber, Rizzo, and Baez?

Cubs will be targeting the best return of young MLBers and guys in the high minors.  They aren't blowing the team up.  The deal with Washington starts with Kieboom and goes from there.

3 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

I'll help you out and say that there is a 0% chance that bullcrap offer is true.  

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

What happens if the Cubs trade Bryant and the grievance is adjudicated that the Cubs manipulated service time, and Bryant is granted free agency a year early? 

Like I mentioned in the Stras thread, the trade won't happen until the decision has been made.