2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Pham and Grisham for good prospects is insane.

Yup. My fear is Dave Cameron is ok with this. He's supposed to be one the good one's in FO's

I wonder if they actually think they are close. Because this doesn't make much sense. The barest of charity tells me they did have an abundance of great prospects but a team won't really succeed with all of them being so young at the same time so they had to move some of them. But they should have got better than they did.

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Yup. My fear is Dave Cameron is ok with this. He's supposed to be one the good one's in FO's

I wonder if they actually think they are close. Because this doesn't make much sense. The barest of charity tells me they did have an abundance of great prospects but a team won't really succeed with all of them being so young at the same time so they had to move some of them. But they should have got better than they did.

I read enough of Dave's pieces on other moves where Dave lambasted teams for selling low on prospects with "low ceilings" because we don't often know what that means. He was the head of the "never ever trade Mookie Betts campaign" when Cole Hamels was a stud half a decade ago, he was always arguing that guys like Altuve/Bregmann who didn't have power ceilings were undervalued, and the fact that these are basically MLB ready prospects/players means big picture you can question how much you're actually winning now"in trades that are supposed to be win-now.

From my recollection, I don't think Dave would be okay with it, but he's also got a wife, a kid, and a history of cancer. When ownership says get on board or find a new job/health insurance, he might just go along with it.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I read enough of Dave's pieces on other moves where Dave lambasted teams for selling low on prospects with "low ceilings" because we don't often know what that means. He was the head of the "never ever trade Mookie Betts campaign" when Cole Hamels was a stud half a decade ago, he was always arguing that guys like Altuve/Bregmann who didn't have power ceilings were undervalued, and the fact that these are basically MLB ready prospects/players means big picture you can question how much you're actually winning now"in trades that are supposed to be win-now.

From my recollection, I don't think Dave would be okay with it, but he's also got a wife, a kid, and a history of cancer. When ownership says get on board or find a new job/health insurance, he might just go along with it.

Oh I certainly wouldn't be expecting him to quit over this. And that is how I recall him, too, but that is also what makes me nervous. Trades like these and his analysis of how bad they were are literally what got him this job. If you think that is good analysis that you are hiring him, then why ignore him if he says this is bad. I don't expect they will always listen to him, that is obviously absurd, but it isn't like these are close.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Oh I certainly wouldn't be expecting him to quit over this. And that is how I recall him, too, but that is also what makes me nervous. Trades like these and his analysis of how bad they were are literally what got him this job. If you think that is good analysis that you are hiring him, then why ignore him if he says this is bad. I don't expect they will always listen to him, that is obviously absurd, but it isn't like these are close.

I wouldn't expect anybody to quit over one trade, but you're exactly right and if I'm Dave and this becomes a pattern, why am I working there?

At some point, he's accountable for those decisions to other baseball teams.

I get why Preller traded for Pham. I just don’t like that we included Edwards. I’m assuming he’s thinking Owens or Abrams will be the 2B of the future but it’s an overpay for a 32 year old OF. I like Pham just didn’t like what we gave up for 2 years of him.

Edited by iLikeDefense
  • Like 1