2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

10 hours ago, Slateman said:

I really hope that with the 3 batter rule and an extra roster spot that we'll see more mediocre starters become relievers. 

So Slateman....will the holidays be filled exchanging National's coffee mugs, T-shirts, socks, desk calendars....and such (?) or has that transfer already happened?  :)

5 hours ago, tom cody said:

Wonder where Bundy ends up. Also does a move out of Baltimore revitalize his career?

I think so.  If he can drop that insane HR number, it will make a worthwhile difference.  Also, if you look at his splits he has clear Camden Yards PTSD, so getting him out of that park and into a much better pitcher's environment would be huge for him.  

I just wonder if the Orioles will get enough in return to trade him.  It looks like they are motivated to do it.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

You just watch. Get him out of that ****ty organization!

As an Orioles fan, I agree.  He's got Camden Yards PTSD.  He needs to be in a better environment for a pitcher as far as home parks go.  He's also not going to be around for our core starting in 2022, so I would get what value we can get now instead of waiting.  

On 11/27/2019 at 4:05 PM, Dingo18287 said:

The O's placed Villar on waivers. Surprised, but guess he's going to make about $10 million next season, so had a high price. 

A lot of Orioles fans are lambasting Mike Elias for it, but $10 million is not the going rate for a career .328 OBP, 97 wRC player whose best assets are speed and defense, which aren't highly valued right now (and in the case of defense, advanced metrics were not kind to his performance at 2B this year.)  They clearly had a problem moving him at the deadline because of this contract, as they are right now.  He's not going to be part of the future, so I would rather use the $10 million to spend on the new development coaches salaries/benefits, as well as invest in the analytics department.  Maybe sign Yolbert Sanchez to provide an upgrade defensively that will better benefit the pitching staff through their development.  But holding onto Villar and paying him $10 million to get a lottery pick (if that) at the deadline next year is not the best use of that $10 million.  

29 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think so.  If he can drop that insane HR number, it will make a worthwhile difference.  Also, if you look at his splits he has clear Camden Yards PTSD, so getting him out of that park and into a much better pitcher's environment would be huge for him.  

I just wonder if the Orioles will get enough in return to trade him.  It looks like they are motivated to do it.  

Send him to the Giants, and I think that will help. I know at one point the giants were talking about moving in the fences, but I'm not sure if that is going to happen. If not, there's no better place to suppress those homer rates. 

https://theathletic.com/1424759/2019/12/01/rosenthal-josh-hader-faces-a-unique-offseason-red-sox-weigh-jackie-bradley-jr-s-value-phillies-exits-more-notes/?redirected=1.

The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal hears the Brewers are making reliever Josh Hader available in trade talks this winter.

"We listen on a wide variety of players throughout the offseason. A lot of players get discussed," Brewers general manager David Stearns told Rosenthal generically when asked about Hader's availability. Hader is projected to earn $4.6 million in arbitration this winter, according to MLBTradeRumors.com, and will only get more expensive as his arb years roll on, making his trade value higher now than it might ever be again. It seems counterintuitive for the Brewers, a team that appears set to contend for the postseason again in 2020, to be dealing key pieces regardless of their trade value, but Rosenthal notes that Hader's workload in his first three seasons in the majors -- he's appeared in 151 games since 2017 -- could be part of Milwaukee's consideration in moving him now. The writer lists the Mets among the teams that could have interest in the 25-year-old southpaw, who has won the Trevor Hoffman Award for best reliever in the NL the past two seasons. We'll see

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20606/josh-hader