Week 6 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I feel like this is good and bad. Obviously, at the current point in time, part of this will be a way to get out from under possible pass protection issues that may be generated by using your 4th and 5th string tackles. But the other side of this is that everything is short and within a small window. Basically relying on your receivers to break tackles and get the RAC. One of the biggest complaints about the tampa game (before any injuries) was that everything was short and within a small window. While we didn't need the passing game monday night, I found the set up fairly similar and at one point, Jimmy G had 10 attempts for 26 yards. We need to be able to get chunk yardage and push the ball downfield more consistently in the passing game, especially on nights where the running game may not be effective. The short and quick hitters are far too easy to defend against a coaching staff worth anything (teams shouldn't be giving 5-8 yard cushions, for example)

Interesting as I was under the impressive he was holding onto the ball longer. Not super "Drew Bledsoe pat the ball and hold" long, but longer than normal. 

Shows how much I know...lol

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like this is good and bad. Obviously, at the current point in time, part of this will be a way to get out from under possible pass protection issues that may be generated by using your 4th and 5th string tackles. But the other side of this is that everything is short and within a small window. Basically relying on your receivers to break tackles and get the RAC. One of the biggest complaints about the tampa game (before any injuries) was that everything was short and within a small window. While we didn't need the passing game monday night, I found the set up fairly similar and at one point, Jimmy G had 10 attempts for 26 yards. We need to be able to get chunk yardage and push the ball downfield more consistently in the passing game, especially on nights where the running game may not be effective. The short and quick hitters are far too easy to defend against a coaching staff worth anything (teams shouldn't be giving 5-8 yard cushions, for example)

If you noticed, Shanny only drew up one deep pass combined the last two weeks. Now, you can say the game flow didn't call for a deep throw last game, but I don't think this is by coincidence. He knows the OL is missing Staley and he doesn't want Jimmy G taking unnecessary hits on seven step drops or long developing plays. And I can't imagine much changes with now McGlinchey missing time and being replaced with Brunskill.

The Browns and Steelers played a lot of zone against us which was a mistake. They needed their corners to be up at the LOS and challenge our WRs. I wonder if that's what Phillips decides to do. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

He loves to be the underdog, it stems all the way back to the Crabtree incident. It looks really dumb considering his level of play and accomplishments but whatever works for him lol. 

Apparently the Crabtree incident stemmed from his brother telling him how good he was when they were in college and Sherm was still playing WR. His brother kept telling him this dude at Texas Tech is something special. Then the following year Sherm was moved to corner. 

1 minute ago, Gridirongreat#9 said:

The thing that stands out to me is Wilson and Murray. There is no way they will be able to hold up a full season with that much contact. 

Wilson can...I think he's already proven it given the abominations he's had as an offensive line in the past. I doubt that hit percentage is atypical for him at this point to be honest. He's just built in a good way physically, and I think he's very cerebral with regards to mitigating the force of hits very well. There may come a time where it has a cumulative affect on him like it did with Cam, but I just think that he's better at protecting himself than Newton is. 

Not sure about Murray. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Wilson can...I think he's already proven it given the abominations he's had as an offensive line in the past. I doubt that hit percentage is atypical for him at this point to be honest. He's just built in a good way physically, and I think he's very cerebral with regards to mitigating the force of hits very well. There may come a time where it has a cumulative affect on him like it did with Cam, but I just think that he's better at protecting himself than Newton is. 

Not sure about Murray. 

I don’t know, it really depends on what kind of shots he’s taking. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Not sure about Murray. 

That stat isn't just about QB hits, it's hits period right even when the QB takes off with the ball? If so, would explain some of those numbers. 

I will say this, if Skule holds up well this week and just until Staley returns, that would be HUGE for us going forward. At the very least he becomes our reliable swing tackle and possibly someone that could replace Staley down the line. We are a LONG way from that of course, but I will be paying close attention to him on Sunday. 

4 hours ago, Gridirongreat#9 said:

I don’t know, it really depends on what kind of shots he’s taking. 

Are QB slides at the end of runs counted as "contact"? Running QBs obviously encounter more of those. On those plays, are tackles given to the defenders gently caressing the downed QB?

• Like 1

Gurley has a quad issue. It's not official, but I have a really hard time seeing him play this weekend. 

Talib has a ribs issue. if he plays, I say we run right at him on the outside. Let's get kittle to truck him early in the game and make him hesitant to tackle for the rest of the day  

Eric weddle is slow and old. I say we attack him with our speed.

They run a 1 gap, penetrating 34 defense. That means they will basically have 5 guys on or near the LOS. You'd think that it would make it tough to run to the outside but that is only true if we let their DEs get up field. If we can get past their DE and seal the OLB, there will be room to run on the edge. 

I would like to trap Donald all day long. He is amazing at penetrating, so let's let him make his move upfield and then seal him off to one side. He's amazing at timing the snap, so hopefully we can mix up our silent count (or get the crowd to be quiet lol). Donald has been getting more attention this year and hasn't made as many splash plays. He's not going to run away with the DPOY this year like he has the last two years. Let's hope that continues 

To @J-ALL-DAYs point, I expect them to play bump and run against us. Our WRs are small and the only one who is strong is deebo, who has struggled recently. So we will need to run bunch sets so we can get a clean release with at least one of them.

This is a game I will want Jimmy to roll out a bunch, off of the stretch zone action to the other side. Then i think we should attack them with crossing routes and double moves once Jimmy is is on the outside with some space/time.

Would be nice to really work in a few of those inside shovel plays to kittle off of a fake toss and let him plow up the middle. Just keep their defense on their heels. I want their defense focused on running laterally early in the game, and then as the game goes on we can start working in more inside runs and plays over the middle. Basically, get them to run, get them tired, then come straight at them. after they've been hit by reverses, jet sweeps, tosses, stretch runs, etc all game long they will be looking to move laterally, and that's when we hit them with some inside action with some eye candy (meaning motions to the outside etc) 

I just believe that Kyle circled this game on his schedule, and decided he was going to keep a certain section of the playbook under wraps until this week. I think he was calling plays the last two weeks knowing that the Rams and Wade Phillips were watching. I believe that the best play callers are always setting up their next play call with their current call. I am hoping he had the foresight to do this game to game. Something tells me we are going to see stuff we haven't seen yet this year. On that note, it's a damn shame that juice is out, but I think Kyle can draw up the same concepts with different personnel packages

I will talk about our defense vs their offense later lol 

13 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Are QB slides at the end of runs counted as "contact"? Running QBs obviously encounter more of those. On those plays, are tackles given to the defenders gently caressing the downed QB?

Good question, but you have to think even when they slide, they might take that shot that ends it. 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Gurley has a quad issue. It's not official, but I have a really hard time seeing him play this weekend. 

Its amazing how drastically his outlook has changed over the course of the year.  I really don't care if he plays or not. He simply doesn't scare me at this point the way he used to, particularly in the passing game.