Who gets fired first?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What happens at coaching?

• Freddie
    • Monken
    • Same Time
    • Neither

15 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Freddie telling the media " Go ask Higgins about 2 weeks ago again He might have a different answer."

Then the media literally goes to Rashard Higgins and says "Freddie told us to ask you again about 2

Then the media's follow-ups questions were framed in ways to cause a juicy headline and stir up conflict.

Thankfully, HIggins handled it well and did the "we're on to Denver."

Freddie still doesn't get it.. Hue didn't get it in year 2; tons of other coaches don't get it either: you don't give the media gifts that can lead to distractions and division amongst elements of the team. There's nothing to gain by Freddie saying what he did. Just say "we're on to Denver." Don't explain yourself to the media.

I’m sure they get it, but when they’re forced to field questions 5 days a week, eventually stuff slips. 

This isn’t unintentional, the league wants these slip ups and juicy drama.  If they didn’t they wouldn’t allow reporters in a damned locker room immediately after a game or interview players on the field.

They want raw emotion and stack the deck against the coaches and players to get it.  Every coach KNOWS not to give them anything, but it’s a battle of attrition that’s typically won by the media.  

Could you imagine having to explain every decision you made at work that didn’t work out exactly as you, or even someone else, had hoped?  Defend your competency to a guy who’s literally never done your job?

No lie I’d answer the random well thought out question seeking insight and “next question” 90% of their nonsense.  Between Mary Kay and her soap opera dialogues she seemingly pushes and Grossi’s constant complaining, I wouldn’t answer a single damned question from either of them.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m sure they get it, but when they’re forced to field questions 5 days a week, eventually stuff slips. 

This isn’t unintentional, the league wants these slip ups and juicy drama.  If they didn’t they wouldn’t allow reporters in a damned locker room immediately after a game or interview players on the field.

They want raw emotion and stack the deck against the coaches and players to get it.  Every coach KNOWS not to give them anything, but it’s a battle of attrition that’s typically won by the media.  

Could you imagine having to explain every decision you made at work that didn’t work out exactly as you, or even someone else, had hoped?  Defend your competency to a guy who’s literally never done your job?

No lie I’d answer the random well thought out question seeking insight and “next question” 90% of their nonsense.  Between Mary Kay and her soap opera dialogues she seemingly pushes and Grossi’s constant complaining, I wouldn’t answer a single damned question from either of them.

One of the hardest things I ever had to learn was the concept of a good strategy that leads to a bad outcome.  Didn’t make the decision wrong just got unlucky.  Now imagine being criticized for every one of these.  **** would suck 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You're absolutely right. The whole goal of the multiple pressers throughout the week is for the Team's spokesperson coaches/players generate buzz and headlines that drive up interest and dollars.

It's always interesting that those headlines usually come from the losing teams and the slip ups losing typically causes.

It would be terrible having to explain and defend everything. I couldn't do it; therefore, the Belichick way is probably the best longterm strategy to keep one's sanity. It's just surprising to me that every single coach says things like "Belichick's the best" but they never follow the example he set in the master class of handling the media.

Our writers are beyond terrible and are a cesspool of negativity, but honestly they are more inept than most media pools and beyond the negativity they aren't as fierce as other market's media. Most of the time ours are just sloppy, apathetic, and incompetent. So, our players and coaches should be able to navigate the media landscape without much foolishness imo.

The disappointing thing for me is that Freddie is making these mistakes half-way through his first season as a Head Coach. The challenges that show no process or real understanding of rules, the handling of situational football it's just disappointing. I honestly think Freddie the OC has been better than Freddie the HC this year based on the things we can observe. Maybe he's still growing into the position, but currently it seems to be another example of why hiring a successful OC (a small sample size of course) does not make a good HC.

19 minutes ago, mistakey said:

One of the hardest things I ever had to learn was the concept of a good strategy that leads to a bad outcome.  Didn’t make the decision wrong just got unlucky.  Now imagine being criticized for every one of these.  **** would suck 

You're right: It would be beyond annoying to experience that. I couldn't listen or entertain that crap.

Freddie though has had more bad strategies that led to bad outcomes rather than the good leading to bad. Challenges, situational football, timeouts, redzone calls, context calls, press conferences, etc bad strategy bad outcome. 

51 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

You're absolutely right. The whole goal of the multiple pressers throughout the week is for the Team's spokesperson coaches/players generate buzz and headlines that drive up interest and dollars.

It's always interesting that those headlines usually come from the losing teams and the slip ups losing typically causes.

It would be terrible having to explain and defend everything. I couldn't do it; therefore, the Belichick way is probably the best longterm strategy to keep one's sanity. It's just surprising to me that every single coach says things like "Belichick's the best" but they never follow the example he set in the master class of handling the media.

Our writers are beyond terrible and are a cesspool of negativity, but honestly they are more inept than most media pools and beyond the negativity they aren't as fierce as other market's media. Most of the time ours are just sloppy, apathetic, and incompetent. So, our players and coaches should be able to navigate the media landscape without much foolishness imo.

The disappointing thing for me is that Freddie is making these mistakes half-way through his first season as a Head Coach. The challenges that show no process or real understanding of rules, the handling of situational football it's just disappointing. I honestly think Freddie the OC has been better than Freddie the HC this year based on the things we can observe. Maybe he's still growing into the position, but currently it seems to be another example of why hiring a successful OC (a small sample size of course) does not make a good HC.

I don’t think Freddie is forgetting, I just don’t think that’s him.  He’s going to give an honest answer either way. 

That is all well and good when things are going well, but implodes quickly when they don’t.

I really don’t have a problem with it though.  The only people who care are talking heads.  Fans, coaches, players, etc don’t really care.  Same with Baker.  The only people that care that he called Grossi an idiot are Grossi and other talking heads who feel the need to defend their own.  I mean, just look at the response here.  People unanimously are team Baker on this one.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think Freddie is forgetting, I just don’t think that’s him.  He’s going to give an honest answer either way. 

That is all well and good when things are going well, but implodes quickly when they don’t.

I really don’t have a problem with it though.  The only people who care are talking heads.  Fans, coaches, players, etc don’t really care.  Same with Baker.  The only people that care that he called Grossi an idiot are Grossi and other talking heads who feel the need to defend their own.  I mean, just look at the response here.  People unanimously are team Baker on this one.

Indeed.

Freddie is Freddie and Baker is Baker. 

Winning with their personality types is as good as it gets, but losing with them can create a prolonged volatile environment especially in the hot-takesman, clickbait world we live in.

The Grossi thing is only a fatal issue to those that either have no idea what's going on or are in the business of reactionary sports entertainment.

Personally, I had more issue with the Tweet rather than the Grossi thing as I would like to think Baker is smart and aware enough to know that he's just yelling into the void with such tweets focused on controlling public perception or justifying his actions.  Even then, it's not a fatal issue but it does fuel negative noise..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

You’re right, but when you’re getting unlucky a bunch of times, it’s time to revisit the strategy.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Personally, I had more issue with the Tweet rather than the Grossi thing as I would like to think Baker is smart and aware enough to know that he's just yelling into the void with such tweets focused on controlling public perception or justifying his actions.  Even then, it's not a fatal issue but it does fuel negative noise..

My guess is that was for us, Browns supporters, to let us know where he was coming from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You’re right, but when you’re getting unlucky a bunch of times, it’s time to revisit the strategy.

Well you can't draw up plays where you expect people to not execute. You can only replace those players and you can't do that if the players who made the mistake are core players like Bitonio, OBJ, Chubb or Mayfield. Sure, if Bitonio was a weak link on our line we could bench him for some rough play the last couple games. Or if Chubb wasn't a stud sit him for his 3 fumbles the last 2 games. OBJ for his drops and questionable routes, Baker for his miscues. We have to depend on those players good or bad, if they sink us we're sunk and there isn't anything Freddie can do about that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

My guess is that was for us, Browns supporters, to let us know where he was coming from.

F*** us... who gives a damn about trying to be understood via Twitter. Worrying about how others you don't know perceive you is wasted bandwith.

Telling Twitter about your urgency and frustration level is meaningless. The work will show what is and what isn't. 

Baker is what he his but I truly hope for his sake he can get back to tuning the noise out as well as not unnecessarily fueling it.

3 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

We are probably about to go on a bit of a win streak. I just hope that with that we see improvements from Freddie not just winning because we have a far better roster.

I want to see better use of our talent, better play calling and far far less penalties 

We'll see improvements in play-calling b/c of the competition we face but but don't be lulled into the false belief that we've arrived as will the grand masses far and wide when we win 8 straight against rookie Ryan Findley x2, rookie snaps-wise Brandon Allen, rookie Mason Rudolph x2, rookie snaps-wise Dolphins/Josh Rosen,  rookie Kyler Murray, and Josh "Buttcheeks" Allen.

7 rookie QBs and Josh Allen. 

Lamar Jackson and the Ravens are on a different level than that prior grouping.

So, what do we learn about our team by beating 7 rookie QB-led teams and one of the worst 2nd year QBs in the league Josh Allen??

To most, they'll be illusioned into thoughts of grandeur.

Me, I think penalty reduction would be a nice marker for some progress but I honestly don't think we'll know much about this team until they get tested by a playoff team or a competing team next year.

The Ravens and Lamar Jackson still have serious issues on defense and Lamar can be up and down, but matching up with them in the 2nd half of the season will offer some diagnostic information about this team as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

We are probably about to go on a bit of a win streak. I just hope that with that we see improvements from Freddie not just winning because we have a far better roster.

I want to see better use of our talent, better play calling and far far less penalties 

Our record wouldn't be that much different no matter what our schedule was though. We've beaten ourselves in every loss thus far. Couple that with awful refereeing, we have to play a lot cleaner to get anywhere.