Packers sign WR Ryan Grant, waive RB Tra Carson and use IR/Designated to return on TE Jace Sternberger

deltarich87

38 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Happy to see Grant signed. If he didn’t fail a physical, he would have been on a 4 yr 28 m deal. Hopefully he can be an adequate #3-4 option 

Which is utterly baffling to me. Former 5th round pick with average size and below average speed, best season of 45/573/4 and two seasons below 100 yards. What are you paying 28 million for?

2 hours ago, craig said:

One of two guys....  Campbell being the other...  So that exhausts their IR-returns for the year, yes? 

If a guy resumes practice but doesn't look good or re-twists an ankle, can they still save the "return" for somebody else?  Or having appointed two "designed to return" guys, is it now them or nothing?  

as I understand it:

Once the player resumes practicing, which they can only do after a set number of missed weeks, the team has a 2 week window to activate the player.  Once they actually activate him, they use the DTR "credit" up.  So if they don't activate him, they can still use him in practice, and preserve the DTR status for someone(s) else.

They have 2 credits to my knowledge.

22 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Which is utterly baffling to me. Former 5th round pick with average size and below average speed, best season of 45/573/4 and two seasons below 100 yards. What are you paying 28 million for?

It was a really thirsty market for WRs that year.  It has been for some time now, with the deals that people got this past offseason.

Sometimes I think teams just sign people who play well against them.  BB is very guilty of this.

2 hours ago, craig said:

Shepherd was also pretty wide open on the interception throw, if Rodgers wouldn't have thrown it behind him.

He was also clearing wide, wide, wide open on the game-deciding interception thrown to MVS in Eagles game.  

he was also pretty wide open on a kind of late and bad throw in end-zone versus Dallas, a play on which Dallas got called for an interference call (on Shepherd, I think) anyway; and a play where Shepherd could still have caught the TD pass even thought it late after the defender had already closed on him.  

I guess I'm saying that if getting open is a quality we want in our receivers, I'm still not sure he might not be pretty good at that, as a receiver.  Whether he's got any hands to catch, I don't know.  

Tell ya what.  The ball to him inside the 5 yard line wasn't that far off.  It hit off his frickin face mask.  Considering he's only about 5'8" that's about 3 feet off the ground.  That pass should have been caught with relative ease.  So far, he hasn't shown a thing where he has the hands to catch a pass or a punt.

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

Happy to see Grant signed. If he didn’t fail a physical, he would have been on a 4 yr 28 m deal. Hopefully he can be an adequate #3-4 option 

It sure can't be any worse ... GMO, Sheppard, Kumerow just haven't lit it up as pass receivers.  Anybody to help with being reliable and move the chains is a welcome addition.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

as I understand it:

Once the player resumes practicing, which they can only do after a set number of missed weeks, the team has a 2 week window to activate the player.  Once they actually activate him, they use the DTR "credit" up.  So if they don't activate him, they can still use him in practice, and preserve the DTR status for someone(s) else.

They have 2 credits to my knowledge.

Campbell was on the PUP list if I recall right so would not count as an IR return (?)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

From Arod’s Presser it looks like Devante recommended Ryan Grant. They both apparently worked together during offseason... 

This here is interesting to note.....

Rodgers loves 'Vante.  He appears to trust Lazzard.  He did trust GMO, though I don't know why.  Kumerow can't get open against my mother.

Yah, there's a spot for Ryan Grant, especially if 'Vante's recommendation rubs off on Aaron.

Whatever you do, Grant, don't drop that first one or you might as well run to the tunnel and catch an Uber to Austen Straubel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This here is interesting to note.....

Rodgers loves 'Vante.  He appears to trust Lazzard.  He did trust GMO, though I don't know why.  Kumerow can't get open against my mother.

Yah, there's a spot for Ryan Grant, especially if 'Vante's recommendation rubs off on Aaron.

Whatever you do, Grant, don't drop that first one or you might as well run to the tunnel and catch an Uber to Austen Straubel.

He has shown utmost confidence on Lazard even in today’s presser..

This bad maaaaaaaan needs some trustable guy to catch his back shoulder passes and I hope Lazard is the one..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaire_Island said:

He has shown utmost confidence on Lazard even in today’s presser..

This bad maaaaaaaan needs some trustable guy to catch his back shoulder passes and I hope Lazard is the one..

No disrespect to MVS, as I do really like him, but...

Rodgers showed more confidence in Lazzard in one half of a game than I think he's shown MVS in a season and 6 games.

In all honesty, MVS should be getting a jump ball bomb at least once a half.

And...I'm not knocking MVS here at all, again, I dig him.

But...Lazzard has that swagger that you gotta love.  He may even have "it".

Ah...what the hell am I saying.  I'm as drunk as @Norm.  I'll cool it on the Lazzard love-fest for the night.

• Like 1