Week 8 GDT - Carolina Panthers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

23 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Here is the interception. Pettis is open on an out route there. Too bad Jimmy didn't go his way. Or the runner in the flat.

I guess he really, really wanted to get the ball to Kittle. *shrug*

vVsiD0a.gif

Predetermined throw. And you can't be double pumping there, especially in the middle of the field.

But like against Washington after he threw his INT, he was pretty much on the money the rest of the game. Just would like to see him play a clean game from start to finish. But I've already accepted he has that Favre and Romo type of risk taking in his game and he will throw INTs. But he also make some big plays, which we haven't seen as much this season, but will once we get our guys up front back. 

15 minutes ago, N4L said:

Yes, I was meaning to break this down today. It's easier to see this sort of thing at the stadium. 

The play was designed to go to Pettis. Pettis had Reid lined up in front of him in man coverage 10 yards off the Los. 1v1 coverage there with no help. 

Jimmy dropped back and looked at Pettis. Pettis hadn't broken his route off yet. Jimmy felt pressure even though he probably still had another heartbeat to hold onto the ball. I think this was Jimmy not having confidence in our tackles early in the game. 

He didn't feel like he could wait for Pettis to break his route off, so he double clutches and instinctively fires it to kittle without really looking at him.

He should have thrown it to the outside before Pettis broke off his route. I think he may have read the coverage as zone, and then was worried the corner would sit down on Pettis' out route, which is why he didn't throw it to the open space 

It was a bad play, but not as bad as it looked imo 

Apparently someone who was at the game sitting right behind with a good vantage point claimed Jimmy simply looked at Kittle the entire time. 

Image result for seinfeld shrug

Just hard to imagine how he doesn't naturally see Pettis standing there wide open.. he's in the same area as Kittle. 

Maybe ( LOLz ) this was designed as a middle finger from Shanny to Pettis via Jimmy. 

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

or, I guess Jimmy was so locked in on 85, and put more faith in his accuracy than any mortal man should dare. 

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Apparently someone who was at the game sitting right behind with a good vantage point claimed Jimmy simply looked at Kittle the entire time. 

Image result for seinfeld shrug

Incorrect. If you zoom in you can see his head move to the right as he is double clutching. It's clear as day. Not sure where that person was sitting but I have a hard time believing they had a better angle than I did for this one. 

Pettis was his first read and then he came off it when Pettis didn't break his route off in time. 

Pretty obvious Pettis was going to be open presnap, unless they were playing cover 2 and you were worried the corner would let the outside receiver go deep and then sit on the out route by Pettis. He didn't want to throw it to someone who wasn't looking for it, and felt he had to throw it early because he felt pressure 

24 minutes ago, N4L said:

Yes, I was meaning to break this down today. It's easier to see this sort of thing at the stadium. 

The play was designed to go to Pettis. Pettis had Reid lined up in front of him in man coverage 10 yards off the Los. 1v1 coverage there with no help. 

Jimmy dropped back and looked at Pettis. Pettis hadn't broken his route off yet. Jimmy felt pressure even though he probably still had another heartbeat to hold onto the ball. I think this was Jimmy not having confidence in our tackles early in the game. 

He didn't feel like he could wait for Pettis to break his route off, so he double clutches and instinctively fires it to kittle without really looking at him.

He should have thrown it to the outside before Pettis broke off his route. I think he may have read the coverage as zone, and then was worried the corner would sit down on Pettis' out route, which is why he didn't throw it to the open space 

It was a bad play, but not as bad as it looked imo 

Yeah, this seems fair. Spooked by pass pro, and then spooked to throw a pick 6 type to the empty area. 

• Like 1

Also, there is no reason to double clutch if you are locked onto kittle. He double clutched because he started to throw the Pettis and then realized he wasn't looking so he threw it to kittle without really looking at him for very long. That's why he didn't see Luke undercut it. If he was looking at kittle the whole time he wouldn't have thrown the ball there because he wasn't open 

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

Incorrect. If you zoom in you can see his head move to the right as he is double clutching. It's clear as day. Not sure where that person was sitting but I have a hard time believing they had a better angle than I did for this one. 

Pettis was his first read and then he came off it when Pettis didn't break his route off in time. 

Pretty obvious Pettis was going to be open presnap, unless they were playing cover 2 and you were worried the corner would let the outside receiver go deep and then sit on the out route by Pettis. He didn't want to throw it to someone who wasn't looking for it, and felt he had to throw it early because he felt pressure 

You're saying that he looked at Pettis first correct? I see that from a different angle reading Jimmy's face, but not from the original GIF I made. Don't see that there definitively at all. I'll post the second angle it in a little while. 

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Don't know if you have watched by this point, but I think he looked better than Skule in his one-on-one moments (of which there were few, and that is not suggesting Skule was awful). The one block I remember most from Brunskill was on Deebo's TD run. He drove the linebacker backward by 10-15 yards.

Hard to find many flaws in a 51-13 game.

Watching the game as I type this...

But that's the point I was getting to. My buddy thinks Brunskill looks better than Skuke and will be the better option as the swing tackle for the future. As Forge pointed out, I don't think you can really judge either, as Shanny's is dialing up plays to cover up both guys and not expose them to being on a island. Could be a interesting development to watch unfold over the next off-season. I do think Skule, from the naked eye, has given up more pressures/sacks but I'd have to dive more into film to really judge accordingly.