Should the Bears trade for a QB?

rocky_rams

What is this urge to write off young QBs all of a sudden?  Trubisky doesn't even have 2 seasons worth of starts yet.  The thing is, everyone knew he was more of a gimmicky type of QB that was going to need time to develop, yet here we are, barely into year 3, and everyone's whining because he's not elite... 

I admit, I'm not in love with anything I've seen so far, but he doesn't completely suck, and honestly, he's had some success: He's 14-5 in his last 19 starts with 29 TDs to 14 INTs.  He also rushed for 400+ yards and 3 TDs in 2018.  The talent is there, the coaching is a bit suspect IMO...

2 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

The Bears have a solid overall team and clearly Trubiskey is holding them back. Now is their time to maximize their opportunities to go for a SB run before its too late 

Starting RB is barely averaging 3 ypc for the season.  RB2 is barely averaging 2 ypc.

Receivers are nothing special.

defense has given up over 800 total yards (over 300 rushing) in the last two weeks.  Gave up 36 points to the Saints without Brees, Kamara, and Cook...

No doubt Trubisky has struggled, but it's not just him.  and by the way, he was wearing a shoulder brace for the Saints game.  Don't know how much difference it made, but worth mentioning.

2 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Should the Bears trade for a Cam Newton, Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, or even Eli Manning? 

I don't think Eli is an upgrade, and despite shredding them last week, neither is Bridgewater....

Newton has gotten 8 years to prove he's mediocre, but you can't give Trubisky 3?

1 hour ago, doomer said:

Too late for this season imo. You can't expect a QB to come in week 8, learn a new system and stay in contention.

Bridgewater will be a FA so no need to give up assets.

Yes, it's not like Madden. An entire offseason would be required for a guy you want starting. Mitchell isn't looking like the future, but he's still really young. I don't know, I think the Bears need to just play him for another season at least. Start him in all of the games, so at the end of the day you can say that you gave it four years. Three with the same offense. This wasn't Nagy's guy though so the situation is a little different. 

Edited by PapaShogun

15 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Newton has gotten 8 years to prove he's mediocre, but you can't give Trubisky 3?

Newton looked like a ray of sunshine from his first game though, and when he played it was clear he wasn't holding the Panthers back, but dragging a corpse of a team for the first couple of years. Not really the same with Mitchell. He needs more time though.

2 hours ago, frenchie said:

What is this urge to write off young QBs all of a sudden? 

It's always been like this, at least since I've been on FF and social media. Goes both ways. We see QB's crowned after a year just as often as we see QB's called busts. I'd say 50% of the time it's premature. Have to give it time w/ QBs, they all (1st rounders) have the arm talent, just a process of determining whether they truly have the mind for it.

How long should you give a QB? Well obviously there's no clear answer to that, which complicates things and opens the door for criticism when a guy sticks around a little too long in hindsight, but I tend to favor sticking through the rookie deal, so 4-5 years. If there's truly no progress being made, or you end up with another top QB prospects in your lap that you feel much better with than your current QB (like what happened w/ Cards), then by all means move on, but odds are you really won't be in position to grab another top QB prospect for a few years anyway.

We should absolutely not be writing young QBs off, like we shouldn't be crowning QBs prematurely.

However, with Biscuits, he shows fundamental issues that should scare the sh out of owners. He doesn't see open receivers in front of his face. Nagy can draw basic concepts up, which gets a receiver open almost immediately, and Trubs is nowhere! Must be frustrating the life out of Nagy. 

How long do you give that? It's like a NASA physicist who struggles with his 4 times tables. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

The niners already had singletary once. We did not want him back

But-but-but---- Mike Singletary!!!! 

The man who was in the vanguard of the New Wave coaching style of rushing up and down the sidelines, screaming, and little pig eyes glaring wildly! Arguably a greater intellectual contribution to football coaching than anything Bill Walsh ever did!

Image result for mike singletary coach

1 hour ago, bzane said:

But-but-but---- Mike Singletary!!!! 

The man who was in the vanguard of the New Wave coaching style of rushing up and down the sidelines, screaming, and little pig eyes glaring wildly! Arguably a greater intellectual contribution to football coaching than anything Bill Walsh ever did!

Image result for mike singletary coach

I want winners 

Right now? No. If Tribusky can't show improvement by the end of this year, you have to make a move in the offseason.

Bears gave up two first rounders for Mack. That's a move you make when you're on the cusp of contention. I thought it was a mistake then, because it seemed pretty obvious that Tribusky wasn't ready and might not ever be. You should know that your QB can take you to the Championship round. 

Bridgewater is probably going to net a 3rd round comp pick. So if you're going to trade for Bridgewater it better beat that. But I highly doubt that the Saints would even trade Bridgewater at this point. I'm sure they want to see what happens with Brees...who knows, they may need Bridgewater again at some point. 

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Bridgewater is probably going to net a 3rd round comp pick. So if you're going to trade for Bridgewater it better beat that. But I highly doubt that the Saints would even trade Bridgewater at this point. I'm sure they want to see what happens with Brees...who knows, they may need Bridgewater again at some point. 

Saints would be very foolish to let Bridgewater walk. They should sign him to a Jacoby Brissett type extension if he will take it. This should be Brees last year and clearly the team is rallying around Bridgewater. Not sure you will find a better replacement for Brees given what we've seen from Teddy this year.