Howie SZN

ninjapirate

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Fair enough. Had no clue Howard was banged up. How did we get less healthy over the bye though? Only this team could do that...

Haha yeah...apparently though they both happened at the end of the Bears game and just wasn’t addressed 

I was going to wait until later and make a separate thread but what the hell.

2019 is on Howie Roseman.

As a GM, when you make the cognizant decision to leave $28 million dollars in salary cap space (aka over 10% of the cap) you better be sure that your roster is bulletproof.

I get that our team has been killed with key injuries but Howie is responsible to make sure that we have depth and talent to account for this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I was going to wait until later and make a separate thread but what the hell.

2019 is on Howie Roseman.

As a GM, when you make the cognizant decision to leave $28 million dollars in salary cap space (aka over 10% of the cap) you better be sure that your roster is bulletproof.

I get that our team has been killed with key injuries but Howie is responsible to make sure that we have depth and talent to account for this.

He got too cute with comp picks. Getting scrap heap free agents instead of actual good players to try and get more comp picks. That and they haven't drafted enough impact players.

• Like 2

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

He got too cute with comp picks. Getting scrap heap free agents instead of actual good players to try and get more comp picks. That and they haven't drafted enough impact players.

I agree. Comp picks was a huge driver in our offseason as opposed to adding talent.

I don’t disagree but going into the season, most pundits agreed we had the best top to bottom roster in the league. As a GM, what more should he be doing?

QB- Adding a quality vet in McCown put together 1 of the best QB rooms in the league. 

RB- Traded for Howard, who is a good RB. And drafted a “dynamic” piece in Sanders as a compliment. Sproles and Clement should have been decent enough spot/package pieces. Sproles had nothing left but Clement could have filled in that role easily. 

WR- Going into the season the corps was constructed very well. You had the reliable possession receiver with fantastic hands and catch radius. The other side a big play dynamic FA supposed to effect the opposing defensive scheme weekly. And a slot receiver that should have progressed, especially with being a 4th option in this offense. At the very least get loose for a few plays a game, taking advantage of the others getting much more attention. Along with them, a high draft pick that is in the mold of a big bodied possession receiver. 

TE- I’m sure everyone agrees they should have had the best 1-2 punch in the league. 

OL- A bit aged but still is one of the better units. Drafted the LTotF. And had enough depth in Big V to start for Brooks and backup Lane. Some more interior depth could have been addressed. But hasn’t hurt them. 

DL- Was supposed to be the strength of this team. Particularly the interior. Brought in a big time FA and resigned a good DT that was thriving before an injury. And still had good depth behind them. DEs were a little thin depth wise in terms of pure pass rushers but has 3-4 young guys on the roster that should be progressing or should have taken the next step. 

LB- A bit ignored but not many were  concerned with Bradham and KGH as the starters. Add in Brown, Gerry and a couple other small time contributors and it was a decent enough corps to not be a detriment. 

CB- This unit was a concern. But an average unit with Darby and Mills. With potential contributors like Douglas, Maddox and LeBlanc, the unit looked to be on an upswing. A guy or two takes a step forward and it becomes a deep strength. 

S- Jenkins, I feel, has regressed as one would expect. But he’s still playing decent. McCloed back from injury has been solid as he was previous. Sendejo was a bust and not worth the potential 4th comp. This position wasn’t addressed with youth, a mistake IMO, but with the depth and versatility of the other DBs I feel like it was good enough. 

ST- Are fine. 

I honestly can’t find any fault on how Howie handled the offseason. The draft wasn’t good but got a playmaker in Sanders. He added two impact players to the roster in both Jacksons. 

I find more fault in coaching and injuries more than anything else. Injuries being the biggest contributors. How can a GM foresee both his biggest offseason contributors hurt for the whole year essentially, along with multiple varying injuries on 6-7 starting positions? 

One thing I do completely feel like he dropped the ball on was the potential additions in the trade market. Multiple young, good players were moved in positions of need and he failed to go over the top to get guys in here that could have made a huge impact on this season and beyond. That’s inexcusable. Clowney brought in for peanuts could have been resigned or let go for a comp next year. Really good DBs were moved this year that could have been impact players for this team for years to come. I don’t understand that at all. Besides the money he’s hoarding for the Wentz contract, I’m hoping he has moves to make. Or else it’s just gross negligence. 

Bottom line, Howie made all the right moves at the time of making them. (Expect for this trade season, which was a disaster IMO). I don’t think he needs to shoulder the blame for the ridiculous amount of long term injuries and complete lack of development on this roster. Which is the major culprit of this team being .500. Which, honestly, is still impressive in its self that they are still in playoff hopes given how bad things have been this year. 

• Like 2

I'll agree on the trade market. When you can add elite playmakers at a discount you do it.

As far as going into the season I would have looked at the following:

WR depth. Jackson was a great piece and more than Mike Wallace or Torrey Smith but considering Jackson and Hollin's injury history there should have been another legitimate piece added there. FAs available: John Brown, Jamison Crowder, Tyrell Williams, Golden Tate were bigger signings. Randall Cobb, Phillip Dorsett, Allen Hurns were depth guys for cheaper.

DL depth. This team was outright thin for a team that relies on a deep DL rotation. Losing Chris Long to Retirement and trading away Michael Bennett left us with two large holes. Howie's response was hopefully Derek Barnett (coming off season ending injury) took the next step and Vinny Curry? Edge was absolutely a large need. I'll ignore the Clowney sized elephant in the room here but Ziggy Ansah could have been had for cheap.

CB depth. Howie had an idea that Mills and Darby wouldn't be ready for the regular season. Rolling the dice that Douglas and Jones would take the next step with Maddox and LeBlanc? Again, a position that could have been solidified and maybe we start the season a little stronger in the secondary. FAs: Bradley Roby, Darqueze Dennard, Jason Verrett, Kevin Johnson all could have been had on one year deals.

It's definitely a hindsight argument at this point but it pains me that Howie left over 10% of our cap on the table when we could have had all the depth pieces we're longing for in week 12.

Edited by Hockey5djh

4 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'll agree on the trade market. When you can add elite playmakers at a discount you do it.

As far as going into the season I would have looked at the following:

WR depth. Jackson was a great piece and more than Mike Wallace or Torrey Smith but considering Jackson and Hollin's injury history there should have been another legitimate piece added there. FAs available: John Brown, Jamison Crowder, Tyrell Williams, Golden Tate were bigger signings. Randall Cobb, Phillip Dorsett, Allen Hurns were depth guys for cheaper.

DL depth. This team was outright thin for a team that relies on a deep DL rotation. Losing Chris Long to Retirement and trading away Michael Bennett left us with two large holes. Howie's response was hopefully Derek Barnett (coming off season ending injury) took the next step and Vinny Curry? Edge was absolutely a large need. I'll ignore the Clowney sized elephant in the room here but Ziggy Ansah could have been had for cheap.

CB depth. Howie had an idea that Mills and Darby wouldn't be ready for the regular season. Rolling the dice that Douglas and Jones would take the next step with Maddox and LeBlanc? Again, a position that could have been solidified and maybe we start the season a little stronger in the secondary. FAs: Bradley Roby, Darqueze Dennard, Jason Verrett, Kevin Johnson all could have been had on one year deals.

It's definitely a hindsight argument at this point but it pains me that Howie left over 10% of our cap on the table when we could have had all the depth pieces we're longing for in week 12.

Besides it being extremely hindsight, nothing to really argue here. But also, it’s the NFL. You’re not going to fill every single hole properly. There’s just not enough resources. Some positions will be subpar or lack depth. He does have a lot of money piled up but he’s going to need a good surplus to pay future contracts’ raises and to keep him active in future FAs. 

I think as a pure GM job, he did well this year. The coaches can’t coach guys up and nothing schematically is helping a struggling and injured team. I don’t think that’s on Howie. 

One thing that may be happening here is resting on that SB. Howie has one in his back pocket. He can now justify some long term plays because he’s reached the ultimate. If Jeff and co. were still starving for that win then maybe he feels the pressure to push in more perhaps. As far as long term sustained success goes, he’s made the right play. He should have a really good opportunity to continue to improve this roster through FA and the draft because of the decisions he’s made this year. Otherwise, he’d be very hamstrung. 

15 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I think as a pure GM job, he did well this year. The coaches can’t coach guys up and nothing schematically is helping a struggling and injured team. I don’t think that’s on Howie. 

One thing that may be happening here is resting on that SB. Howie has one in his back pocket. He can now justify some long term plays because he’s reached the ultimate. If Jeff and co. were still starving for that win then maybe he feels the pressure to push in more perhaps. As far as long term sustained success goes, he’s made the right play. He should have a really good opportunity to continue to improve this roster through FA and the draft because of the decisions he’s made this year. Otherwise, he’d be very hamstrung. 

I can agree with this. It's partially a frustration post but playing through injuries is more a depth (aka howie) issue than a coaching (aka doug) issue IMO. That said I don't think Doug and the coaching staff are 100% blameless either. I get the money saving/long term play but those never feel great during short term struggles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

$28 million in cap space.

It’s a good amount of money. I’m not going to pretend what long term goals he has for the roster. Maybe he plans on spending a lot on FA. Moving on from some high priced aging vets. Cox and Wentz will start collecting big yearly salaries. He’s got to be a little frugal. 

But like I said, he could have used at least some of his hoard to get an impact player in here during the trade season. It was just mismanaged completely. 

7 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I can agree with this. It's partially a frustration post but playing through injuries is more a depth (aka howie) issue than a coaching (aka doug) issue IMO. That said I don't think Doug and the coaching staff are 100% blameless either. I get the money saving/long term play but those never feel great during short term struggles.

Definitely the training staff and medical team over anything else. You can say it's a depth issue for a season, but when we've been riddled with injuries for  three years straight i'd argue we have a fundamental problem with the staff.

I think a lot of the blame falls on Doug P and the coaching staff. I know that the NFL is a year-to-year league, but our offense has severely regressed these past two years in comparison to 2017. Both Wentz and Foles balled out when Reich and co were on the staff. They haven’t been the same since (as much as we love Foles, last year he wasn’t anything special). Doug has failed to replace these good coaches and he’s shown limited capability of being an “offensive mastermind” (or whatever he was being heralded as in 2017). I know we were competitive last year, but honestly we made the playoffs by the skin of our teeth and we should’ve been eliminated in the Wild Card round. So basically three out of the four years Doug has coached here have been incredibly mediocre.

His ego is too damn high. Writing a book after his second year, constantly promoting guys who aren’t qualified for the job etc. In essence he has a bunch of yes men at his command. The Eagles offensive staff literally encompasses the Peter principle. I hope Howie steps in and does something about this 

Edited by RBreezy

On 11/19/2019 at 1:15 PM, Jroc04 said:

LB- A bit ignored but not many were  concerned with Bradham and KGH as the starters. Add in Brown, Gerry and a couple other small time contributors and it was a decent enough corps to not be a detriment. 

LB HAS BEEN HORRIBLE HOW MANY YEARS NOW

CB- This unit was a concern. But an average unit with Darby and Mills. With potential contributors like Douglas, Maddox and LeBlanc, the unit looked to be on an upswing. A guy or two takes a step forward and it becomes a deep strength. 

CB was a joke going in the season and still is a joke.

S- Jenkins, I feel, has regressed as one would expect. But he’s still playing decent. McCloed back from injury has been solid as he was previous. Sendejo was a bust and not worth the potential 4th comp. This position wasn’t addressed with youth, a mistake IMO, but with the depth and versatility of the other DBs I feel like it was good enough. 

Jenkins Has Regressed Significantly more then anyone, And McCloud is still a joke and shouldn't be a starter. 

25 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

2 years to be exact; they were pretty good on the SB run.

Agreed 100%

And McCloud is still a joke and shouldn't be a starter. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Jenkins Has Regressed Significantly more then anyone, And McCloud is still a joke and shouldn't be a starter. 

Man....you took that Pats loss hard eh?

Linebackers are fine and have been since the Bradham signing as they are the least important position on our defense.

CB was rough going into the season with our injuries. I think we've all learned to appreciate Mills and Darby a bit more but yes, a talent upgrade wouldn't hurt.

McLeod was the saving grace of our defense early in the season and has bounced back significantly from his injury. While it sucks Jenkins has taken a step back he's going to be 32 in a month, he wasn't going to be the defense's band-aid forever. Again, nobody would argue that some youth and talent would hurt here but i'm damn thankful HOwie didn't drop the 13-14 million that was given out for Landon Collins, Earl Thomas, or Tyrann Mathieu as they haven't performed that well with their new teams.

• Like 1