Week 9: VIKINGS (6-2) at Chiefs (5-3)

swede700

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

When do we stop trying to pick apart every little detail of Cousins’ game and start focusing on the issue that this defense, which is what this team is supposedly built around, hasn’t been able to get key stops since the Carolina game in 2017?

All NFL QBs are going to have the details of their games picked apart. It comes with the job. That said, I haven't seen much picking apart details of Cousins' game yet today. He had such a bad day that I doubt anyone else would argue that point enough to cause anyone to have to pick apart the details to debate the topic.

Cousins had a great October. Sometime QBs have bad games. That is the way it goes. Aaron Rodgers had a pretty bad day today too. It happens.

As far as focusing on the issues with the defense, we have seen plenty of that. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. A lot of the attention the DBs have been getting with regards to issues has been the DBs, and in particular Xavier Rhodes. Given his contract coupled with his play, Rhodes deserves the attention that he has been getting.

I sure hope that it isn't a problem to talk about how the QB of the team is performing, especially when he has games as bad as he did today.

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Still the Chiefs looked fine with Moore at QB, if Cousins went down, and he is clearly nothing compared to Mahomes, no way the Vikings would even have a chance with Mannion out there much less missing two starting offensive linemen and both starting defensive ends.  

That's what worries me.

We couldn't be a KC team without their All-World QB.

We couldn't beat GB with their future HOF QB.

We couldn't beat CHI with their #2 QB

We've beat three bad teams (NYG, WAS, ATL) and three middling teams (PHI, DET, OAK).

Today was our "prove it" against a legit Super Bowl contender (minus their QB) and we failed. It was a big test and we crapped the bed. 

How is that supposed to give us any confidence heading into the post-season (if we make it) when we're going to be playing the Packers, Saints, Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers, and Seattle.

We failed to prove we belong with those teams by losing to KC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

That's what worries me.

We've beat three bad teams (NYG, WAS, ATL) and three middling teams (PHI, DET, OAK).

Today was our "prove it" against a legit Super Bowl contender (minus their QB) and we failed. It was a big test and we crapped the bed. 

How is that supposed to give us any confidence heading into the post-season (if we make it) when we're going to be playing the Packers, Saints, Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers, and Seattle.

Yes. The Vikings look more pretender than contender. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Yes. The Vikings look more pretender than contender. 

I dunno.

People seem happy making the playoffs and call that a success whether it a division winner or wild card.

But I think making the playoffs is pointless if you can't beat an elite team (which we've yet to do)  and don't win the Super Bowl.

I never understood the mindset of being fine of simply making the playoffs. Making the playoffs doesn't give you a championship and that's what I want. Not consolation prizes.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

6 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I dunno.

People seem happy making the playoffs and call that a success whether it a division winner or wild card.

But I think making the playoffs is pointless if you can't beat an elite team (which we've yet to do)  and don't win the Super Bowl.

I never understood the mindset of being fine of simply making the playoffs. Making the playoffs doesn't give you a championship and that's what I want. Not consolation prizes.

I understand that, and I even agree with it. It is just that I have moved to acceptance quickly and maybe others have as well. This has never looked like a Super Bowl team to me so that leaves me to adjust my goals for the season.

But I agree, I am not okay with it overall and I want to see a new general manager. I just see little point talking about that a ton until the season plays out. What would you have Wilf (or someone lower if you don't think the problem is systemic) do about it at this point?

Maybe there are some tactical moves that can be made to help deal with the systemic problem, but from what I can see the problem is systemic and there is only so much that can be done with tactical solutions to systemic problems. At some point, I just have to try and enjoy the smaller wins along the ride, which, yes, does mean adjusting goals.

35 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

That's what worries me.

I would be more concerned if we look bad against Dallas.  Clearly the Vikings overlooked the Chiefs possibly because of who was not playing, but sure Mahomes would have ripped up that secondary if he did play.

Phili was the best win so far this season and they need to get some good wins against good teams especially on the road.  At Dallas and at Seattle will make or break the season in terms of what they can or cannot do.  The fact they had a ton of guys around the line of scrimmage and still could not throw the football is a big time problem.  Mind you the pass pro was bad and Jones, Nnadi, Saunders, Kpassagnon and Pennel really controlled the Vikings OL a lot of the time and they were missing Clark and Okafor.  Still one would think they could have passed better but helps show how important Thielen is.

Sure Bisi has impressed as a 7th rounder but he is not a starter quality WR and is most likely a slot guy only, not at this time at least is he a legit outside WR, at least Treadwell got some PT and did some things in this game unlike Diggs for whatever reason.

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I understand that, and I even agree with it. It is just that I have moved to acceptance quickly and maybe others have as well. This has never looked like a Super Bowl team to me so that leaves me to adjust my goals for the season.

But I agree, I am not okay with it overall and I want to see a new general manager. I just see little point talking about that a ton until the season plays out. What would you have Wilf (or someone lower if you don't think the problem is systemic) do about it at this point?

Maybe there are some tactical moves that can be made to help deal with the systemic problem, but from what I can see the problem is systemic and there is only so much that can be done with tactical solutions to systemic problems. At some point, I just have to try and enjoy the smaller wins along the ride, which, yes, does mean adjusting goals.

Really nothing you can do but that doesn't mean we should be fine accepting we're probably a one and done team, or at best, lose in the second round.

Something needs to be done with this team. I'm not going to sit here and say it's the coach, GM, QB, or whatever but we're now stuck in a realm where we're good enough to tease a playoff run but not bad enough to tank for a good pick. Minnesota Wild syndrome. 

Sadly, I think we might be in this position for this year and next at minimum.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I dunno.

Can't win in the playoffs unless you make it there

• Like 1

Cousins was trash today. Missed the flat routes repeatedly. Diggs found himself open o multiple routes and wasn't even targeted.

Defense made another backup QB look like an all pro.

Zimmer should have taken the holding penalty.

So frustrated with today's performance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

When do we stop trying to pick apart every little detail of Cousins’ game and start focusing on the issue that this defense, which is what this team is supposedly built around, hasn’t been able to get key stops since the Carolina game in 2017?

After he scores more than 23 points against a weak defense when we need the points against a high powered offense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

You can’t depend on a defense to consistently let up less than 21 points.

When will we be able to depend on them to get a stop at a crucial time? 

This isn’t about how many points they gave up through the whole game. It’s about getting a stop when it’s needed most. And this defense has continuously failed to get those crucial stops in the last 2 seasons. 

Whether it was 13-13, 33-33, or 23-23, the defense was put in a situation where they needed to stop their opponent from scoring, and they failed. Again. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1