Week 9 GDT: Browns @ Broncos

BroncoSojia

I mean if Lock turns into something we did very well this draft. Fant needs to improve still but seeing how he was after the game even in his social media I think this game was a pressure reliever for him like no other and he will start to overthink less and just play football. Risner has been a stud. Hollins has himself a sack today and Malik Reed counts as part of this class he has been a nice surprise. 

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Didn't Tony G have the same issues early in KC?

Honestly I’m not sure. But he only had 68 more yards than Fant does now in his rookie year so hey! And he was the 13th pick in the draft. Obviously offenses are different now and it’s likely easier for a TE to rack up stats now.

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Honestly I’m not sure. But he only had 68 more yards than Fant does now in his rookie year so hey!

Only 21 and has 300 yards already.  He's going to be a nightmare in this offense as long as health holds up.

Draft weekend I just kept reading on here Lock couldn't of been your guy if you passed on him twice. 

The fact that they didn't pass on him for two scrubs gives me a warm toasty feeling inside. 

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

Just think if you have such eternal optimism you must be young. And if you have it and you’re older I envy you for being able to push away the constant let downs and obvious realistic expectations to keep such optimism.

Well I am also at retirement age and I got a real buzz out of the win last night - looking forward to another one after the bye-week.

When you get to my age you are optimistic that the Broncos win every week - while I hope to be around for another 30 years to see them win multiple superbowls, as time goes on you should generally take your wins on a week to week basis. :D

• Like 1

Despite the fact you could argue yesterday was the worst possible outcome (a win with our QB proving he's highly unlikely to be anything other than a backup QB), I really enjoyed it. I thought our guys played their butt's off from an effort perspective, especially our Defense who played nearly twice as many snaps as our Offense.

Everyone else has already eluded to the obvious re: Allen - his mobility gives our OL a fighting chance. It shortens the field at times to have our QB rolling out, but that actually benefits a young, inexperienced QB by reducing his reads. I lovvvvvvved that shot play to Spencer off play action, which was literally centimeters from being a 80 yard TD. 

If we can get a QB with consistent accuracy and a feel for the pocket for 3rd down plays, I truly believe in Coach Rich and this Offense. 

Nobody has been as skeptical as I have on Noah Fant this year; that said I thought he was excellent yesterday. It's the most comfortable I have seen him in terms of getting off the LOS. That little hesitation he gave on his TD play, faking that he was blocking in the run game off play action was brilliant. He just looked 'smooth' out there which was great to see.

Courtland Sutton is a monster. If he can consistently run routes like that slant on Denzel Ward, with the outside release to fake a go route, he is going to a be a superstar in this league.

Overall it's clear this team isn't a contender for the playoffs, yet, we do have at least some pieces in place (especially on Defense) and I believe in our Coaching staff. Like I said, I enjoyed the game yesterday and it's clear that a change at QB has had a positive effect on this team.

As for the Browns - wow. Poorly coached, no cohesion and no identity. I really thought that team was going to turn the corner this year as well.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Despite the fact you could argue yesterday was the worst possible outcome (a win with our QB proving he's highly unlikely to be anything other than a backup QB), I really enjoyed it. I thought our guys played their butt's off from an effort perspective, especially our Defense who played nearly twice as many snaps as our Offense.

They protected their home field and our dog pound pun intended.  Anyone who didn't enjoy that win secretly yesterday isn't a true fan.

And those words are coming from a guy who values draft picks like no other ask counselor. Especially, when we have the coaches that will coach up the talent we get.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Overall it's clear this team isn't a contender for the playoffs, yet, we do have at least some pieces in place (especially on Defense)

Who are the pieces on D you're excited about besides the obvious. I'm talking AJ Johnson, Simmons, Duke Dawson, those type of guys lol.

I personally want an enforcer if not Middle Linebacker safety to groom post Jackson. I thought Chubb although hes a tough runner he got too many cheap yard in our secondary. 

Simmons/ Simmons have a nice ring to it an echo  if that guy knows how to tackle and stop the cheap plays.

Edited by thebestever6

Fsngios D is key to me the way it will operate going from the inside out much like the offense.

Safety, Middle linebacker, D line are the keys that we will look to solidify in the draft. And everything else we'll work at and develop.  Unless there's a generational corner I don't see us going that way early.

Like @AKRNA alluded to weeks ago this teams main goals are to be a tough out every week they're literally going to go out kicking and screaming. 

Death by inches has a beautiful ring to it when you start to take it seriously.  Whatever offense faces us will literally have to earn every yard, inch; blade of grass they get going forward. 

Raiders are operating at the same tone so they're my biggest fear going forward. 

I have confidence this team will take Vegas as a business trip. Don't know about the Chiefs though Andy Reid historically has had guys T.O that lose focus., ShaunAndrew's, Jerome Mcdougal, etc.

Edited by thebestever6

3 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

When you get to my age you are optimistic that the Broncos win every week - while I hope to be around for another 30 years to see them win multiple superbowls, as time goes on you should generally take your wins on a week to week basis. :D

Run out of likes but love that attitude.  And tough outs to everyone but the Chiefs really brings a tear of joy to my eye. The VJ era was traumatic to me more so than the failed lynch pick. A qb bust is so replaceable when you have the right staff.

Look at RG3 in Washington they had the right Staff and pretty wisely hedged a bet lol. Snyder made that bet with multiple firsts and an envision on what he wants his CEO to be (sound familiar)?I think Russell Wilson was the right call in round 2 and thought that at the time. But Mike very wisely went after Kirk Cousin's. 

I see Haskins at best being an Alex Smith level starter.  And Drew Lock has a ceiling of a mobile Matt Stafford ( in this offense. )

Look at Matt Staffords numbers in the SEC his Last college  year and Drew Locks his senior year and the comps are alarming.  If Drew fixes his feet man watch out.

Edited by thebestever6

While at the gym a few days ago about six of us were working out our jaws more than anything else.  The best thing that I heard last night was the commentary during the Pats game because it reiterated what I was saying at the gym.  I respect the Pats and was on the GOAT bandwagon for Brady about a decade ago -  simply the best ever.  But their TEAM success is due to the fact that their division has been brutally awful for over two decades!!  The announcers commented on how the Pats have not faced a good D this year and not this type of Raven offence before (has anyone really).  The Pats are only a top 6-8 team in this league and many teams in the NFC are way better.  It's just due to their pathetically easy schedule that they set themselves up for the home field playoff runs and look what happens when they have to travel outside of New England.   And once at the dance its basically a 50/50 shot at winning.  I honestly don't know why this aspect isn't dwelled on!!!

Also after the draft I really ripped on Lamar Jackson and deservedly took a lot of heat here.  I have to admit I was wrong and after game two of the season I ate crow and bought his jersey.   I have tried to hate the Ravens for outing us a few years back but have always loved the team.  Their great D's remind me of us and time has let me forgive them for beating us out to the SB.

Now for us - as much as I want us to lose at this point I can't help but want to win when watching the game.  Fant finally came around and a mobile qb was great to see as it gives a glimpse to what this offence should look like.  But someone else said it and I scream every time I see it.  Why the **** when its third and long (14) and most teams in the league drool with a defensive rushing opportunity for the kill do we send only 3 - like CMON MAN!!!!!!!!     Also the simple additions that have improved our D making it even more awesome makes me wonder what Fangio could do with some infusion of nice draft pics but I still think we need a minimum of two OL high draft pics if not 3............   

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Who are the pieces on D you're excited about besides the obvious. I'm talking AJ Johnson, Simmons, Duke Dawson, those type of guys lol.

I personally want an enforcer if not Middle Linebacker safety to groom post Jackson. I thought Chubb although hes a tough runner he got too many cheap yard in our secondary. 

Simmons/ Simmons have a nice ring to it an echo  if that guy knows how to tackle and stop the cheap plays.

Isaiah Simmons? I wouldn’t play him at Safety. I would play him at LBer one who never has to come off the field. He sheds blocks imo better and I know most wont agree and I’ll take some heat but better than Devin White. His long arms allow him to keep blockers off him and he is so explosive. He is a defensive weapon. Like those guys on offense who are tweeners don’t really have a set position but who cares just get them the ball. With Simmons who cares just put him on the field defense and let him bring the pain.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Isaiah Simmons? I wouldn’t play him at Safety. I would play him at LBer one who never has to come off the field.

I'm picking up what you're putting down I just believe solidifying front seven is #1 Priority along with a safety to groom under Jacksons watch. Corner seems like a luxury in this defense like the Mike was in Wades.  

Similar approaches death by inches two different ways of going about that.