When should Drew Lock start games this year?

Broncofan

When do you think Lock should be starting games this year?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Drew Lock should be (not will be) starting games for DEN on...

• Week 11-12 @ BUF / @vMIN - might as well find out ASAP and get as many games in
    • Week 13-14 - vs. LAC / @ HOU - get him 2-4 weeks practice, and easier matchups (home game, no Watt)
    • Week 15-16 - @ KC / vs. DET - 2-3 games is enough to see what we have
    • Week 17 vs. OAK - the Mahomes model (but KC was fighting for a playoff spot, dudes...)
    • Not until 2020 (give your reasons if you choose this PLZ)!

Might as well put this in its own thread... here's the scoop from Elway:

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that it's even a question to start practice - you get 2 weeks to start practice before you have to touch the 53-man roster.  But at least it's a given he's coming off IR-return.

The thing is, the later he starts practicing, the later he's actually ready to play.  So this is a royally dumb decision IMO to delay practice.  We need to see what we have from Lock in game action.    I can see why they need to get Brandon Allen & Brett Rypien ready for this week - but to not start from the practice after the CLE game...it's mind-boggling.

I'll stick to my original target of Week 13 after we finish the brutal @MIN & @BUF week 11-12 gauntlet.   But if he doesn't even start practicing, man, it's hard to see him get more than 2-4 games, tops.   Ugh. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

This franchise, as we have shown since the super bowl, is going nowhere without a competent franchise QB. We need to see who Lock is immediately and if (when IMO) he shows that he isn't the guy, target a QB early in 2020 R1.

We could be a playoff team this year, as we could have been every year since SB50, with a good QB. Someone with at least a hint of dynamic potential on a down-by-down basis. The defense, once again, is really good and, once again, has been wasted with our reluctance to truly invest in a QB, even if that investment requires a gamble in terms of draft stock to get the guy.

The team has been rudderless and drifting about since SB50 and the only way to right this ship is acquiring a quality QB. Lock needs to be thrown to the wolves because we cant wait another year to draft someone and deal with Lynch 2.0 in 2020/21. Now or never. If he sinks, its only the loss of a R2 pick.

Edited by BroncosFan2010

Week 13-14. The list of great QB prospects ruined by bad OL play is a long one. No offense Brandon Allen but you’re going to be the one to take that beating while lock gets ready for the home stretch. All of that being said he should return to practice this week. If we are putting Flacco on IR (which we should) then let’s let the kid start practicing with the team. The good news I guess is that this time off has forced him to work on his biggest weakness. His footwork. 

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 3

I went week 13-14 as well.  If Lock isn’t ready as everyone around the org thinks, getting destroyed behind this OL isn’t gonna make things better for his long term development.

And if he looks bad against them it’ll be tough to get a read anyways as most QBs haven’t fared well.  That said I completely agree with @broncos_fan _from _uk he needs to start practicing ASAP

• Like 1

Assuming his thumb holds up, I’d start him in the week 13 home game against the Chargers. He has time to practice and for the coaches to think about how to structure the offense around him. 

Honestly, as much as I’d love to see him play this year I wouldn’t mind if he didn’t play a snap. Use the off-season to improve the OL and (hopefully) see some growth from Scangarello and the rest of the offensive staff. Maybe next season Scagarello will have improved, we will have more offensive talent and Munchak will somehow re-find the ability that made him a well-regarded OL Coach. 

• Like 3

I agree that Lock should be practicing and the longer the look the better off we are.. but I think the point is moot. After the way this has been handled I don't think we are going QB early R1. 

I mean, we definitely don't w/out seeing Lock at all .. but also, how poorly would Lock have to play in 4 games for Elway to effectively give up on last year's R2 investment by sinking our premium pick into the same position?  

Edited by bMiller031

5 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I mean, we definitely don't w/out seeing Lock at all .. but also, how poorly would Lock have to play in 4 games for Elway to effectively give up on last year's R2 investment by sinking our premium pick into the same position?  

How tall is the next draft class? 

(I kid...kinda). 

• Like 1

I wanna debate people on why the Flacco trade was genius ala what we should of done in 16 with Kaepernick so Dak could of been our value pick round 2+. Even though I was on board with the Paxton pick the trading a 4th for Joe let us recoup a 3rd in 2020 and have Elways guy (gulp) practically fall into our lap.

You pay everytime for that bluff!! No guarantee Ryan Tannehill let's us play the same bluff and Greenbay wanted Lock and Aaron Rodgers has looked the best I've seen him in years under Lafleur maybe that guy knows a thing or two about QBs. 

Moving on, I hope Lock starts to get playing time after the bye when the games are out of reach and by week 13 he hits the ground running. Wishful thinking.  If Brandon Allen is serviceable that doesn't happen, but I'm not crossing my fingers for that.

Anyway Cheers Joe Flacco!! Love what you did for our situation/competitive spirit but we hardly knew ya.

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Assuming his thumb holds up, I’d start him in the week 13 home game against the Chargers. He has time to practice and for the coaches to think about how to structure the offense around him. 

Tebow started his career against the Chargers I don't want that witch craft casted upon Drew .

• Like 1

Just listened to johns pressor today. Guys, I think Elway thinks that after two weeks you have to be a game day active. Not just on the 53. The way he talks about maximizing the 2 weeks of practice, it’s the only thing that makes sense of his actions. He doesn’t want him to be 1 hit away from live bullets with only 7 practices, so delay his return until he can get 10.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

He doesn’t want him to be 1 hit away from live bullets with only 7 practices, so delay his return until he can get 10.

So they can't just practice him for two weeks and then make him not part of the 46, or are we overatting to the timing that it takes to get with the starters?