Just How Good Is Josh Jacobs

Mr Raider

I know it's early and I'm all for giving guys time before crowning them or burying their chances at NFL stardom. But in terms of rookies in the past 5-10 years where do you rank Josh Jacobs after seeing him play for half the season.

Stats for those that haven't looked them up. 

9 Gs, 168 Attempts, 811 Yards, 4.8 YPA, 7 TDs. 14 Receptions, 132 Yards, 9.4 YPR. 

I genuinely am curious what people thought of him coming into the year, and what people see in him after a terrific start. Seems like most thought he was the best RB in the class, but most didnt think he was a blue chip RB prospect and some didn't think he was worth a first round pick. 

After the first half of his rookie year how good is Josh Jacobs? Where does he rank in terms of RBs right now? What's his ceiling? Will he slow down after teams adjust with more tape or is he just scratching the surface. 

Discuss. 

Jacobs is elite. It's hard to rank RB's due to all of their varying skillsets and they are all vastly different from one another. However, the only four I'd take over Jacobs would be Barkley, Kamara, Elliott, and maybe Nick Chubb with the Raiders style of ground and pound football. I love David Johnson but Jacobs is just a way better pure runner. Bell is interesting, Jacobs vision is even better than LeVenon which has always been Bells main trait. And Jacobs is a harder runner.

I'd probably rank em:

1) Barkley

2) McCaffery

3) Elliott

4) Kamara

5) Chubb

6) Cook

7 and Knocking on the Door: Jacobs

I'd also say Jacobs vision is probably the best in the NFL, maybe Elliott 1a and Jacobs 1b. But Jacobs vision is just straight up insane.

He's also the best or one of the best at getting yards after contact with his brutal running style. I think it'd be Barkley at 1, Chubb 2a, and Jacobs 2b.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What's their OL like? 

Our Pass Protection is #2 to NO. But our run blocking is probably in the 8-10 range.

Jacobs is averaging 4.8 Yards Per Carry and 3.7 of that is After Contact which leads the NFL actually. So the OL isn't mattering much here.

He's what everyone thought Trent Richardson was supposed to be. He's a successful Leonard Fournette (granted, Fournette looks like he's found his footing nowadays). He's got two down between the T power as well as a skill set that will succeed on 3rd downs - elusive, catches the ball well.

I sincerely don't know how he was buried on that Alabama depth chart like he was. He's a well rounded RB, with some elite traits that'll take him very far.

• Like 6

He's better than I expected.

Guys I'd rank above him (in no order): Ingram, Chubb, Hunt, Gordon, Elliott, Barkley, Cook, Jones, McCaffrey, Kamara, Johnson (if/when healthy)

Guys I'd rank similarly: Michel, Bell, Conner, Hyde, Fournette, Henry, Lindsay

So I guess I'd consider him a top 15ish back.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Thanks, that’s a big compliment from a guy with Nick Chubb on his team. 

I hope he makes it to his second contract, he has enough athletic upside that he should, I think him and Zeke are the most physical runners in the league. 

really impressed with his runs against he chargers, finishing runs is what separates running backs imo

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Our Pass Protection is #2 to NO. But our run blocking is probably in the 8-10 range.

Jacobs is averaging 4.8 Yards Per Carry and 3.7 of that is After Contact which leads the NFL actually. So the OL isn't mattering much here.

Wellll you're never going to say a RBs OL is irrelevant, but you should build it into the context. Jacobs is clearly a good RB and would be good behind a trash OL by the looks of it, but certainly will be benefitting from that top 10 line

7 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

He's better than I expected.

Guys I'd rank above him (in no order): Ingram, Chubb, Hunt, Gordon, Elliott, Barkley, Cook, Jones, McCaffrey, Kamara, Johnson (if/when healthy)

Guys I'd rank similarly: Michel, Bell, Conner, Hyde, Fournette, Henry, Lindsay

So I guess I'd consider him a top 15ish back.

I think hes clearly a better back than Michel, Hyde, Lindsay. I dont think any of those guys are particularly close to him in terms of talent. 

I have Jacobs around the 7th or 8th best back in the league. Im consistently shocked by just how good his vision, elusiveness and power to finish runs. I won't call any guy elite after 9 games, but he certainly has the look of heading that direction. I think currently I'd have him around 7th or 8th in the league, behind (in no order) McCaffrey, Chubb, Elliott, Barkley, Kamara, Cook. 

• Like 2