This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

50 minutes ago, Norm said:

ESPN all Alabama team on NFL live

Amari Cooper over Don Hutson.

Kill me.

Depending on how you look at it. Comparing different generations is tough. Cooper is obviously a much better receiver than Hutson. Hutson was obviously a much better receiver than Cooper (and everybody else) compared to his peers.

It's apples and oranges. 

Edited by wgbeethree

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's horrific

I get he played in the 30s and 40s but it's Amari ******* Cooper. The first time they showed it I was like I just missed it, he was probably listed at the bottom as an End or something silly, then they showed them against USC and nope. Unless I still missed it...

11 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Depending on how you look at it. Comparing different generations is tough. Cooper is obviously a much better receiver than Hutson. Hutson was obviously a much better receiver than Cooper (and everybody else) compared to his peers.

It's apples and oranges. 

Looking at some of the selections they had on other teams, I wonder if they had a cut off. I wasn't paying real close attention but it kinda seemed like maybe they weren't doing any pre merger guys maybe...wait. No, Ron Mix was on it. I don't ******* know.

I agree with you, Cooper would have destroyed 40s football and I'm a huge "homer" for pre merger football. I literally watched old football docs at work the last 4 days lol. Non stop. But ****. IDK. I wonder if I can find them online now and see if there's anyone else from pre 50s, if so, I rage.

EDIT: Obviously it is apples and oranges and I get that, but if it's me, I blend it some. Don Hutson should get more credit for what he did then, than Cooper just being a modern athlete. IDK. It just ticks me off old timey baseball players are gods but anyone who played back in the day in the NFL was a fat drunk (not that there weren't fat out of shape people like Art Donovan or guys who supposedly played drunk like Bobby Layne [and both are in the HOF lol]) But I feel like most people don't have a clue what it was like then.

Edited by Norm

24 minutes ago, Norm said:

Looking at some of the selections they had on other teams, I wonder if they had a cut off. I wasn't paying real close attention but it kinda seemed like maybe they weren't doing any pre merger guys maybe...wait. No, Ron Mix was on it. I don't ******* know.

I agree with you, Cooper would have destroyed 40s football and I'm a huge "homer" for pre merger football. I literally watched old football docs at work the last 4 days lol. Non stop. But ****. IDK. I wonder if I can find them online now and see if there's anyone else from pre 50s, if so, I rage.

EDIT: Obviously it is apples and oranges and I get that, but if it's me, I blend it some. Don Hutson should get more credit for what he did then, than Cooper just being a modern athlete. IDK. It just ticks me off old timey baseball players are gods but anyone who played back in the day in the NFL was a fat drunk (not that there weren't fat out of shape people like Art Donovan or guys who supposedly played drunk like Bobby Layne [and both are in the HOF lol]) But I feel like most people don't have a clue what it was like then.

The only thing I can think of is that Hutson was even before the "old days". Hutson was retired for 11 seasons before Bart Start played his first game.

Don Hutson retired 100 days after the US dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The only thing I can think of is that Hutson was even before the "old days". Hutson was retired for 11 seasons before Bart Start played his first game.

Don Hutson retired 100 days after the US dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

Yeah true. I guess I get it. Doesn't mean I can't be annoyed lol

Hey, anybody get a chance to watch All or Nothing on Amazon Prime?  It was on the Panthers 2018 season.  Great stuff.  Every team could produce a show like that and the revenue would come flowing in.  

Anyway, one of my big takeaways from that show was watching one of their rookie DB's, Donte Jackson, in the meeting room after making the same mistake more than once.  The kid clearly has a ton of talent, but refused to take advice from his coaches or his veteran teammates.  His position coach would eventually get fired because he got hurt and his backup was awful.  But, man, that gave me a whole different perspective to the evaluation of college players before the draft.  We often can't believe how far some players "fall" on draft day.  But when you peel back the curtains and watch what some of these guys are like to coach and how they are as teammates, you better believe that I'd be passing on those head cases in favor of high character individuals more often than not.  

After watching that sequence, I immediately thought of Damarious Randall.  It seemed at the time like we gave him away.  But if he was anything like Donte Jackson to coach, I totally understand the move now.  

Edited by Cheech
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 3:18 PM, Norm said:

ESPN all Alabama team on NFL live

Amari Cooper over Don Hutson.

Kill me.

Wasn't that dealing with 'Football factories'?  I think it was dealing with current players only.  Ten minutes later there was an Ohio State team listed.

Then again, maybe I was watching a different ESPN pretend programming show.

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Wasn't that dealing with 'Football factories'?  I think it was dealing with current players only.  Ten minutes later there was an Ohio State team listed.

Then again, maybe I was watching a different ESPN pretend programming show.

Probably a similar thing they were doing, but no there was tons of guys who had been out of the league for decades.

21 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Amari Cooper with today's training and diet suplements is better than Don Hutson was back in the 40s.  Amari Cooper with Hutson's circumstances is just another guy.

Point taken... but just to get a word in on the issue, everyone here knows that football players from that era had to work in the offseason. I heard from an old GB resident that Arnie Herber and Don Hutson worked in the same paper mill. At lunch breaks they would practice tossing and catching the ol’ pigskin as their co-workers watched appreciatively. What a difference 75 years makes.

In GreenBay’s long football history, I honestly think Hutson stands alone as the most revolutionary player. Like Wilt dunking, catching fifty yard bombs was kind of insane for its time. 

11 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Point taken... but just to get a word in on the issue, everyone here knows that football players from that era had to work in the offseason. I heard from an old GB resident that Arnie Herber and Don Hutson worked in the same paper mill. At lunch breaks they would practice tossing and catching the ol’ pigskin as their co-workers watched appreciatively. What a difference 75 years makes.

In GreenBay’s long football history, I honestly think Hutson stands alone as the most revolutionary player. Like Wilt dunking, catching fifty yard bombs was kind of insane for its time. 

This made me fall into an odd rabbit hole, wondering if he really needed supplemental pay.

Wiki said he started at 300 dollars a game. Inflation calculator says that is $5500. He played 9 games that year.

There's really no point to this but I am posting it anyways, like most things I post lol

Don Hutson actually sold my parents a car. He had a Chevy dealership in Racine. Got to ride along with him in the backseat during a couple test drives. I was too young to appreciate it but he was a nice guy and my dad was noticeably excited for a guy who isn't very excitable.

• Like 2

Just now, Norm said:

This made me fall into an odd rabbit hole, wondering if he really needed supplemental pay.

Wiki said he started at 300 dollars a game. Inflation calculator says that is $5500. He played 9 games that year.

There's really no point to this but I am posting it anyways, like most things I post lol

I fell down a hole right next to you. Everything I see says that Hutson had tremendous business sense a started a successful bowling alley before building a car dealership business. Verdict: paper mill story unlikely  

(I also need to find a better class of GB old-timers.)

• Like 1