This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Firearms wish list, would appreciate recommendations:

1.    .45 handgun.

I've got a S&W SD9VE that I picked up for a song a few years back and I really don't like it. The trigger pull on it is stiff as hell. I've got probably a thousand rounds through it and I still am worthless with it. 

2.     Scope for my 30.06. 

I've never bought a rifle scope before. I've had two recommendations for Nikon's. Just curious if anybody has had any bad experiences.

3.    Combo Red-Dot/Magnification optic for an AR-15

I hate swapping out and having to re-sight-in my optics every time I switch. I'd prefer one good unit.

I have a Sig P320 .45 that I like, but it's limited. No safety, double stack clip. Good gun to have at home/in the console of the car. Not the best to carry on you.

I think my next one will be a Springfield XDS. I wish I had a bunch of money to blow on guns. Really want a Kimber Rose Gold and a Kimber Bel-Air just to have/collect them.

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I was 315 in June of 2016.  I'm 225 now.  Weight Watchers.  Track what you eat, try to move more and weigh in once a week.  Weight Watchers has a great app that help you track all of your food and includes most chain restaurants out there.  It is really easy.

My wife went from a size 10 to a size 2.

I still need new hips, but I can't imagine the pain I'd be in now with the extra weight on me.  No gimmick diet, just eat what you want and track it.  When the points have run out, then you shut it down for the day.  Fruits and vegetables are typically zero points.  

Good luck to you in your weight loss journey!

Thank you! It's a grind and it gets difficult at times, but I'm tired of being fat. I've been big my entire life and if I don't lose it now, I never will. I still have a long way to go, but I know I can do it!

1 minute ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I have a Sig P320 .45 that I like, but it's limited. No safety, double stack clip. Good gun to have at home/in the console of the car. Not the best to carry on you.

I think my next one will be a Springfield XDS. I wish I had a bunch of money to blow on guns. Really want a Kimber Rose Gold and a Kimber Bel-Air just to have/collect them.

The Sig P320, Glock 41, and Springfield 1911 were the three handguns I was looking at. I'm so scarred from the 12 pound trigger on my S&W that I'm desperate for something new. 

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The Sig P320, Glock 41, and Springfield 1911 were the three handguns I was looking at. I'm so scarred from the 12 pound trigger on my S&W that I'm desperate for something new. 

I really do like my Sig. I had to play with some different ammo as it seemed a little picky, but I have it dialed in pretty decent now. I shoot American Eagle ammo and it seems to be consistent with my Sig. 

I liked that the P320 came standard with night sights and had a double stack clip. I have been very pleased with it.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:26 PM, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I can't even count to 375...  Keep it up.  A few years ago, I went from 235 to 165.  I didn't maintain 165 for long, and I didn't really like it, but 170-180 was great, and what I am shooting for (185 is probably more realistic, I'm old).  Your legs will thank you.  When I was at my heaviest, I would have to take advil almost every night just to go to sleep because my legs hurt. 

Make it into a game.  Lose 10 pounds and then you get to have some ice cream or something.  

My simple rules last time were:

1.  NO food after 9pm.  Nothing I was going to do would burn off the calories I would eat before I went to sleep.

2.  Green vegetables with my meals.  I would make a cup of vegetables, and eat all of them, and drink a glass of water, before I ate the rest of my meal.  When I did that, I ended up eating like half a chicken breast instead of a whole one.  This really helped keep the calories down, but still kept me feeling full.  I didn't pay much attention to what I ate, rather how much of it.  Now, I am really checking my sodium intake.  

3.  If you go out to eat, get a to go box immediately and cut your meal in half and put it away before you eat.  Unless you are eating at one of those super posh restaurants, the portion sizes are all huge.  Save half for tomorrow, and you don't have to cook.

4.  Workout in some capacity every day.  Go for a run, lift some weights, walk the dog, do some jumping jacks.  I read somewhere (and don't quote me, I've probably got the numbers wrong) that if you do 100 jumping jacks per day, it should burn enough calories to lose a pound per week.  Before I went to the hospital, I was doing 30 every 30 minutes when I got home from work, I am going to start again when I feel 100%, but it was not very difficult.  Doing 60 jumping jacks per hour from 6-12 was 360 per day.

5.  Drink water.

If you eat when you are bored, try getting some gum.  Maybe you just want to chew on something.

I like #3! Thanks for the idea, I do a lot of the things you listed but never tried #3. 

I have been working out every day in some form. I eat what I want, but i work it off. The 3 biggest changes I made were dropping pop, potato chips and hard alcohol. 

Ended up driving a couple hours to see the totality. In Oregon it was full dark for around a minute where I was (right on the north edge of the path of totality). Pretty crazy, got noticeably chilly and just dark. My boyfriend got a decent picture, but he doesn't have a telephoto lens, so it's a little far off:

H04Zxdn.jpg

Edited by CheeseheadinMA

On 8/19/2017 at 2:20 PM, MNPackfan32 said:

Want to lose some for me?? I was at 375 last fall, started working out in May, right now I'm 337. I've got a long way to go, really want to end up in the 240-250 range but I just have to take it one pound at a time...

I'm currently at 218, down from 330 last October. Read the book Wheat Belly. I was always a carb junky and realizing what they did to the wheat plant and how it's the only food that crosses the blood brain barrier and attaches itself to dopamine receptors is frightening.

Once I cut those out, I stopped being addicted to empty carbs, the rest has been simple. Doing a Keto diet now and loving it, tons of fats and protein so I can mow all the meats and cheeses I want. Exercising helps too.

Fats and protein satiate you so you feel full. Carbs do not. I'm very rarely "hungry" now.

Edited by Dubyajay

2 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

my eyes still messed up. scoffed at the people saying i'd go blind and now fearing i may have got the solar burns on the retina 

Best way to prevent blindness is to wash your eyes out with Head & Shoulders shampoo.  The anti-dandruff chemicals remove the spots like they would dandruff spots.  Don't listen to the old wive's tale about using Resolve Carpet Cleaner to remove those spots.  It might work, but you will 100% get diarrhea, and who has time for that?

5 minutes ago, CheeseheadinMA said:

Ended up driving a couple hours to see the totality. In Oregon it was full dark for around a minute where I was (right on the north edge of the path of totality). Pretty crazy, got noticeably chilly and just dark. My boyfriend got a decent picture, but he doesn't have a telephoto lens, so it's a little far off:

H04Zxdn.jpg

That is pretty.  It looks like a ring.  

The photos I got at work just look like looking at the sun in a limo tinted window.  But it got reasonably dark, and noticeably cooler.  It was cool to look at with the glasses.  

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

What should I name my baby girl born during the eclipse today? Best suggestion (first and middle) wins 100 incog points.

Congratulations  ! That's absolutely awesome. You'll always have a cool story to tell

In honor of today's momentous event(s) here's my name suggestion:

On Pink Floyd's seminal album, Dark Side of the Moon, there is an incredible song called " Great Gig in the Sky" and it includes some amazingly beautiful vocals from a female singer

She was a young lady named Clare Torry, so that gives you two to choose from...

And here's the Clare Torry story told many years after the album was released:

Congrats again to all the Incogs