This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i will probably end up at the Mason Lounge tomorrow night. They have jazz, and you can order a pizza next door and they'll walk it over.

I prefer Vintage (Whitney Way) to Great Dane, but neither blow me away. I actually think the breweries in Madison are subpar compared to the rest of the state. Rockhound is pretty bad overall IMO. Karben4 and Ale Asylum are both up on the east side or I'd hit them up more.

Le Tigre is quirky. I don't think i could be a regular there though.

Laurel Tavern has a damn nice burger and is more "working class" that I gravitate toward occasionally.

I haven't been in The Village Bar in forever...typing this reminds me I should again.

Appreciates it my guy

Let me know if you ever need a spot filled at the bar next to ya during games. I look remarkably unlike an onion irl but I'm at least half as festive.

I have some buddies in town but despite one being the son of a NFL strength and conditioning coach they are remarkably uninterested in football.

2 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Appreciates it my guy

Let me know if you ever need a spot filled at the bar next to ya during games. I look remarkably unlike an onion irl but I'm at least half as festive.

I have some buddies in town but despite one being the son of a NFL strength and conditioning coach they are remarkably uninterested in football.

I was just digging into this more and never heard of Giant Jones before, but I'm definitely going to hit them up very soon. Looks right up my alley (but also east side). The downtown bars are generally pretty fun for games (but can be a bit collegey - not sure what your preferred demographic is). State St. Brats, Jordan's etc. Babes is a bit older and has a decent crowd too. I've played trivia there quite a bit. And they're right across from Vitense if you're a golfer at all.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I was just digging into this more and never heard of Giant Jones before, but I'm definitely going to hit them up very soon. Looks right up my alley (but also east side). The downtown bars are generally pretty fun for games (but can be a bit collegey - not sure what your preferred demographic is). State St. Brats, Jordan's etc. Babes is a bit older and has a decent crowd too. I've played trivia there quite a bit. And they're right across from Vitense if you're a golfer at all.

Semi-recent grad so its fun sometimes but I'll try to avoid super collegey for the most part. The Village Bar looks my speed. I like listening to the older crowd chirp lol. 

Love golf. Big Jazz fan too so Mason Lounge sounds like its worth a stop. Honestly don't know too much about the city.
Homie took me out to some cigar bar last weekend that was a nice intro.. ill have to ask him the name.

36 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

5 series bmw.

I run a 335 and I'll be a bmw guy until I can't be a bmw guy.

Yeah, I've been looking at those, the Lexus series, and a few cheaper but still solid makes and models.  The 2018 Nissan Maxima has a very high JD Powers ranking and it drives damn nice.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Yeah, I've been looking at those, the Lexus series, and a few cheaper but still solid makes and models.  The 2018 Nissan Maxima has a very high JD Powers ranking and it drives damn nice.  

I just cant FWD anymore. Those Maximas look alright though, not cheap interior so cant hate. My cousin just got into a new Ford Fusion and it's tough to beat for the MPG and it's nice enough.... but I wouldnt drive it personally. 

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

I just cant FWD anymore. Those Maximas look alright though, not cheap interior so cant hate. My cousin just got into a new Ford Fusion and it's tough to beat for the MPG and it's nice enough.... but I wouldnt drive it personally. 

I was actually quite suprised at how nice the newer Fusion's are actually.  I commute about 60 miles daily, so I definitely need good gas mileage.  Was looking at some hybrids too, but I'm just not sure.  The Kia Optima hybrid is ok, but my heart is leaning toward a BMW or Lexus.  Just hate doling out that dough for a car I'm going to put way too many miles on, ya know what I mean?

52 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I was actually quite suprised at how nice the newer Fusion's are actually.  I commute about 60 miles daily, so I definitely need good gas mileage.  Was looking at some hybrids too, but I'm just not sure.  The Kia Optima hybrid is ok, but my heart is leaning toward a BMW or Lexus.  Just hate doling out that dough for a car I'm going to put way too many miles on, ya know what I mean?

Oh I hear yeah, that does make things a little different. Time to Tesla up, man! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Look for a used VW Passat TDI. I love mine and 50mpg+ on the highway. I had about 240k miles on my last one. Not going to make any more diesels though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBleedGreen&Gold said:

Look for a used VW Passat TDI. I love mine and 50mpg+ on the highway. I had about 240k miles on my last one. Not going to make any more diesels though.

My brother, a former mechanic who now runs a service department, just bought a diesel VW Sportwagon.  He's literally had first pick on every used car that has come into his dealership for the last three years so I'd assume that's a pretty good endorsement for them.

• Like 1

For a daily driver, I would go with something small and fuel efficient.  My dad has a 2014 Hyundai Elantra.  He is pushing 300k miles on it, and it is running fine.  Before he retired, he was doing 120 miles round trip to work, now he does ~300 mile trips to St. Louis a couple times a month for baseball activities.  It doesn't turn heads, and it won't beat most other cars in a race, but you'll save money and put miles on the cheap car, then can get the fun car for the weekends.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the car tips, everyone.  Man, carfax is the greatest tool.  Good to know everything about a car before you buy.  Gonna go with an affordable, daily driver, with good gas mileage.  Not exactly sure what it is yet, but I’ll share any interesting tidbits I learn along the way.