This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

On 5/26/2018 at 11:08 AM, CWood21 said:

The NBA became "broken" for me when these Super Teams formed.  I mean, the Miami Heat one wasn't good but the whole Durant joining the Warriors was really the last big straw for me.  When 90% of the high-end talent in the league is on 4-5 teams, you've already got a season that's pretty much expected.  I mean, how many people didn't think we'd have Houston and Golden State in the WFC and Cleveland and Boston in the ECF?  That shouldn't happen.  In a league that's star-driven, there isn't room for parity if only a few teams have the talent.

Ray Allen, KG, and Paul Pierce weren't a super team? Barkley didn't join Steve and Amari? 

Edited by HyponGrey

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because you're a bandwagoner

Also from NJ, also like GB. Packers, Hornets, Cubs, Penguins. Am I a bandwagoner if I rejected Philly sports because their fans rejected me before I liked sports because I didn't like sports?  I need a ruling, and can provide explanation if necessary.

Edited by HyponGrey

3 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I don't know man.  Leader said that he saw some pretty old players.  I mean the Lombardi Packers were over 50 years ago.  Sticking with teams that long doesn't say bandwagon to me.  Now the Seahawks fans that were 49er or Cowboys fans 10 years ago, or anyone who claims the Golden State Warriors as their team, those are bandwagon fans.

Am I a bandwagon fan because I cheer for the Packers and the Cardinals? Both have been my teams for my entire life.  Both have a lot of championships and have been good for most of my life.

In the past 50 years, the Cardinals have 3 championships.

In the past 50 years, the Yankees have 7 championships. 

Not close to the same thing.

Additionally, the Rams only moved to St. Louis in 1995 and left in 2016. If you were a fan of the Packers before St. Louis had an NFL team, it makes sense to stay a Packer fan.

52 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Also from NJ, also like GB. Packers, Hornets, Cubs, Penguins. Am I a bandwagoner if I rejected Philly sports because their fans rejected me before I liked sports because I didn't like sports?  I need a ruling, and can provide explanation if necessary.

I'm declaring myself Bandwagon Judge, court is now in session:

+++

The ruling:

Football: Gonna say no. Some would say you should be a Giants fan, but I can't imagine anybody would want to be a part of a NY fan base. Pretty much the same with the Eagles.

Basketball: No, though I'm curious to why that was the pick. Hornets aren't good enough to bandwagon.

Baseball: Depends on the date of joining the fan base. If it's post 2015 you're case better be damn good.

Hockey: Gonna need to hear the reasoning, leaning yes.

11 hours ago, Leader said:

Yup and NY Yankee fan. Grew up in the New Jersey.

I think - dont remember exactly - that Mickey Mantle was my first sports hero. It was either him or Wilt - but probably Mantle. Unfortunate for me, I didnt realize he and the NYY existed until after their last WS appearance (and loss I think....) to Pittsburgh in the early 60's. So - I ticketed myself to root for a whole bunch of mediocre teams - but they were my teams.

As mentioned, I was also a Wilt fan - starting out when he was on that top notch 76ers squad and when he got traded to the LAL - I followed him and realized there was a whole bunch of really talented guys playing out west. So the LAL became my basketball team - and I fashioned my game after Jerry West and Gail Goodrich (forcing myself to learn & use my left hand independently) - and together we lost a whole bunch of seventh games to Boston.

Then there were the Frozen Tundra era Packers....and who could resist? They obviously had some high points.....then disappeared into NFL wastelands for a good long time. 

Mickey Mantle started for the Yankees in 1951.

in the next 67 seasons, the Yankees have 10 losing seasons. Those seasons have win totals of: 77, 70, 72, 80, 80, 79, 74, 67, 71, 76, 

They have ONE sub 70 win season in that time frame. They've won 14 championships. 

Including the 1969 season as the Seattle Pilots, the Brewers have 40 sub .500 seasons. They've won 0 championships.

In 10 fewer seasons, the Brewers have 30!!!! more sub .500 seasons than the Yankees.

+++

Chamberlain joined the Lakers in 1968.

In the 50 seasons since, the Lakers have had 10 losing Seasons. The Lakers have won  11 championships in that time.

In the 50 seasons since, the Bucks had had 22 losing seasons. The Bucks have won 1 championship.

+++

Lombardi took over in 1959.

In the 59 seasons since, the Packers have 20 losing seasons.

+++

In 176 seasons of watching sports you've seen 40 losing seasons. 

In 49 seasons the Milwaukee Brewers have 40 losing seasons.

STFU about having seen a lot of losing

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm declaring myself Bandwagon Judge, court is now in session:

+++

The ruling:

Football: Gonna say no. Some would say you should be a Giants fan, but I can't imagine anybody would want to be a part of a NY fan base. Pretty much the same with the Eagles.

Basketball: No, though I'm curious to why that was the pick. Hornets aren't good enough to bandwagon.

Baseball: Depends on the date of joining the fan base. If it's post 2015 you're case better be damn good.

Hockey: Gonna need to hear the reasoning, leaning yes.

Packers are the family team. Grandpa was a bandwagoner, but my dad and uncles suffered. Southern NJ is a glorified Philly suburb, and I lived literally across the river.

Hornets: kid in the 90's was given *that* starter jacket. By that time I was already known as that guy, and people said wearing the jacket made me a Hornets fan, so I owned it and started following them.

Cubs sucked, and I didn't care about baseball. It got everyone off my back. Last big 4 fanbase I joined.

Penguins was pure tushy-tantrum. Start of all the merciless teasing, so after a month I asked some adults who the flyers hated. Found a penguins shirt at a Goodwill the next day and took it as a sign. Vowed to never become a Philadelphia fan of any sort.

Edited by HyponGrey
Punctuation

On 5/26/2018 at 10:52 AM, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Next year I will probably follow whichever teams have Michael and Jontay Porter. 

you gonna be in for a treat when ORL drafts MP and you're stuck watching an inept franchise that trades any man that begins looking like he could be a promising young player. and at those press conferences you'll get to watch the slimeball ceo alex martins talk about how he thinks we'll be competitive by 2030 and how all the bad moves in the past definitely weren't his fault and he'll also be trashing all the ex coaches, players that served as sacrificial lambs for him. you're welcome to join us; no soft mfers allowed in the orl magic subforum dog, it's a training ground in losing hope and accepting death. MP to ORL. D@M to ORL sub. 

i_71_d0_10_alex-martins.png?w=190

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In the past 50 years, the Cardinals have 3 championships.

In the past 50 years, the Yankees have 7 championships. 

Not close to the same thing.

Additionally, the Rams only moved to St. Louis in 1995 and left in 2016. If you were a fan of the Packers before St. Louis had an NFL team, it makes sense to stay a Packer fan.

If I were going to be a St. Louis football fan, I would have been for the Cardinals.  They were here when I was a kid.  Of course, I was a kid in Green Bay trying to convince myself that the Packers had a chance.  But if I were a regional fan, I should have been a Brewers fan, and I don't dislike them, but I have zero ties to Milwaukee.  In fact, aside from pit stops when going between Green Bay and Chicago, I only went to Milwaukee 5 times max.  I am a fan of the (baseball) Cardinals because that is my dad's team, he grew up in St. Louis.  He adopted the Packers when he moved to Green Bay, he is not a huge football fan.

4 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

you gonna be in for a treat when ORL drafts MP and you're stuck watching an inept franchise that trades any man that begins looking like he could be a promising young player. and at those press conferences you'll get to watch the slimeball ceo alex martins talk about how he thinks we'll be competitive by 2030 and how all the bad moves in the past definitely weren't his fault and he'll also be trashing all the ex coaches, players that served as sacrificial lambs for him. you're welcome to join us; no soft mfers allowed in the orl magic subforum dog, it's a training ground in losing hope and accepting death. MP to ORL. D@M to ORL sub. 

i_71_d0_10_alex-martins.png?w=190

Everything I have read has said that the Bulls absolutely love Michael.  He would have to get by Orlando to get there, but that is what most of the rumor mill says.  Either Orlando or Chicago, he needs to wear the Horace Grant goggles.  Being a Mizzou fan, I am thoroughly versed in losing hope.  We aren't allowed to have nice things.  Probably the best thing that has happened for Mizzou basketball in the last 10 years is that Duke also lost as a 2 seed to the 15 the same day we did so that we got fewer jokes because everybody hates Duke.

Earlier discussion between those watching Westworld........

We'll I've stopped watching it  -  but  -  I'm recording it all.

A coherent story line seemed (to me at least....) to be completely indecipherable - and based on what I'm reading, it is....purposefully. 

So - I decided I'm gonna let it play out in real world time - read up on what the hell they were doing - then watch again (the earlier episodes I sat thru with a great big "Huh?" hanging over my head) and the latter episodes I'm just recording.

It'll be easier on the brain that way :)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/small-viewing-trick-will-change-how-you-watch-westworld-season-2_us_5b078547e4b0568a8809b87a?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Edited by Leader

I am not much of a team follower. My interest in football is lukewarm at best, though I do follow Crystal Palace football team (England) somewhat. I was very disappointed when they changed the 'mascot' name from the Glaziers (unique name, after the original gigantic all steel and glass Crystal Palace, built in 1851 to house the Great Exhibition, aka The World Fair, burned down in 1936) and became the Eagles (rubbish name, probably changed due to the difficulty of portraying a glass panel logo or the actual Crystal Palace on a shirt). The Eagle logo was easy to market............BOO.   Imagine the Packers being re-named, let's say to the Wolverines, because it makes a better logo.......yeuch.

Why am I a 'sort of' supporter ? Because I was born about a mile and a half in between the site of the original Crystal Palace (long gone before I was born), and the football ground. I remember my father taking me there to watch a game and it was surprising to see how physical the game was, when things are happening just 10-20ft away.

Can anyone speak to the VividSeats Ultimate experience packages? It says it includes a tailgate ticket and some food, whatever that means, but it has tickets in sections 324, 326 and 328 for $482 per person (I need 2), with service fees totaling $106...The only tickets available in those sections are $485 for only the tickets +$240 total fees on ticketmaster. $1097 on Vivid with the extra stuff and $1212 on ticketmaster for just tickets. And Vivid includes a $50 gift card for NFL.com...

If anyone knows something about what the package actually means I'd be interested. I'll look into it later when I'm home too, just curious

Tickets: 300-Level Sideline

Description: Tickets will be located in the first ten (10) rows of sections 324-328. Tickets are guaranteed together in groups of 4. Groups of 5 or more may be split within the designated sections.
Quantity: 2

Included: $50 NFLShop.com Gift Card
Description: Includes one $50 NFLShop.com electronic gift card per guest. Code(s) will be sent to the email account on file no later than one week prior to the game. Can only be used on NFLShop.com, cannot be used in stores or at Lambeau Field merchandise stands.

Included: Gameday Tailgate

Description: Includes pregame tailgate near Lambeau Field. Food and beverage included. Exact location to be announced at later date. All ages welcome.

Edited by JBURGE25

13 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I am not much of a team follower. My interest in football is lukewarm at best, though I do follow Crystal Palace football team (England) somewhat. I was very disappointed when they changed the 'mascot' name from the Glaziers (unique name, after the original gigantic all steel and glass Crystal Palace, built in 1851 to house the Great Exhibition, aka The World Fair, burned down in 1936) and became the Eagles (rubbish name, probably changed due to the difficulty of portraying a glass panel logo or the actual Crystal Palace on a shirt). The Eagle logo was easy to market............BOO.   Imagine the Packers being re-named, let's say to the Wolverines, because it makes a better logo.......yeuch.

Why am I a 'sort of' supporter ? Because I was born about a mile and a half in between the site of the original Crystal Palace (long gone before I was born), and the football ground. I remember my father taking me there to watch a game and it was surprising to see how physical the game was, when things are happening just 10-20ft away.

Tottenham and Dortmund. Rather recent developments, mainly for their history of development.