This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

21 hours ago, Leader said:

Some time back someone commented about how adaptable humans are - which is very true. Well, I submit we'd better accelerate that process in some areas.

"No one could save a pilot whale that swallowed 17 pounds of plastic bags off Thailand. The mammals death became the latest high profile example of marine life forced to live in oceans littered with human trash"  - The Washington Post

I saw a video the other day shot by a scuba diver with a camera on an extension pole shooting back at him self as he swam underwater somewhere around Bali. At first glance, the viewer would think the scuba diver was swimming thru a large school of jellyfish - or some other floating marine life - but it was nothing but garbage - and back behind the swimmer you could see the surface was covered by floating debris. 

As consequence of our actions, we're killing off marine life - but also endangering / killing off humans as we're now ingesting marine life who's bodies are carrying the micro-toxins from plastic and other forms of garbage.

We know this. This is happening. This is being witnessed. Yet we're not adapting.

Odds most of that comes from India? I'd really like for that to not be my problem.

55 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Odds most of that comes from India? I'd really like for that to not be my problem.

That partigular trash probably originates in india. Ours is mostly in a Gyre in the North Pacific, covering an area somewhere north of the size of Texas. 

7 hours ago, spilltray said:

Just built myself a new PC.

Managed to do something mini-ITX, cheap (600 ish) and no video card, that can handle 1080 gaming. Glad to have a PC again, I've been stuck to android devices for a couple months.

No GPU but 1080 gaming? What kind of CPU did you get?

8 hours ago, spilltray said:

Just built myself a new PC.

Managed to do something mini-ITX, cheap (600 ish) and no video card, that can handle 1080 gaming. Glad to have a PC again, I've been stuck to android devices for a couple months.

Twenty years ago I used to look into that sort of thing; What do you use for an operating system when it's homemade?

46 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Twenty years ago I used to look into that sort of thing; What do you use for an operating system when it's homemade?

Windows. I have a Linux partition I'm playing with but it's not stable yet.

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Have you named your computer? I built a super computer and named him Anton....

.....anyone get the reference?

Named based on the computer in Silicon Valley . . . Or the supercomputer that Silicon Valley was refencing in New York used to solve complex microbiological algorithims . . . Or the scientist that supercomputer was based off of, Anton Van Leeuwenhoek, who many credit to be the single most important person in the field of micrbiology?

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Named based on the computer in Silicon Valley . . . Or the supercomputer that Silicon Valley was refencing in New York used to solve complex microbiological algorithims . . . Or the scientist that supercomputer was based off of, Anton Van Leeuwenhoek, who many credit to be the single most important person in the field of micrbiology?

Mmm...Think Gilfoyle named his computer Anton because he was a "LeVayan Satanist." Would be cool if it were the latter.

Hacking Jian-Yang's fridge and everything that came after that was the funniest thing Gilfoyle's ever done on that show. Especially the scene where they pan to all those smart-fridges in the store with the "suck it Jin-Yang" video on it lol.

14 hours ago, spilltray said:

Windows. I have a Linux partition I'm playing with but it's not stable yet.

I don't know where relative prices have gone since the early days of Pentium processors, but, for me, everything I could gain by building my own desktop would be eaten up by the cost of buying operating systems and software that would come loaded in your Gateway or Dell or HP. We used to drop 2,500 bucks on those desktops. If you got one in January the memory and processing was half of what would be available for the same price in June.

And I used to walk to school.

Uphill.

Both ways.