Should Kyle Shanahan have went for a tie?

Should Kyle Shanahan have went for a tie?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kyle Shanahan have went for a tie?

• Yes
    • No

I kind of think that we should have taken the tie at the end of overtime. Try to make them waste their last time out by running the ball, if we made FG range then fine go for the kick but with no time left for Seattle. I think with how tight the NFC is that a tie was the best outcome knowing how many mistakes were made last night.

Edited by Incarcerated_Scarface

No. 

I think it would have been okay to run the ball on first down, just to drain some clock and maybe pick up some yards given that we had plenty of time, but once we passed it both first and second downs, I have no problem with being aggressive and going for the first down and potentially the win on third down. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

No. 

I think it would have been okay to run the ball on first down, just to drain some clock and maybe pick up some yards given that we had plenty of time, but once we passed it both first and second downs, I have no problem with being aggressive and going for the first down and potentially the win on third down. 

At that point in the game I think a tie was the better option. A tie hurts Seattle more than us if it happened.

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Absolutely NOT. However, he should have gone for it instead of counting on the rookie kicker. QB sneak could have been the difference. Getting conservative was what cost him in the SB with the Falcons...I think it cost him yesterday as well.

Right. That was a pretty long kick he had to make. It sucks how it went down. 

48 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Right. That was a pretty long kick he had to make. It sucks how it went down. 

To be fair it is a kick that is made every week in the NFL. It is missed as well, but he had just made one close to that distance to tie the game. I have zero issues in going for that kick. The entire defense would expect the sneak. A lot to risk on that one single play for no guarantee that the next three plays nets any yards anyway. Take the shot at the W when you have it.

1 minute ago, clarkfn2284 said:

To be fair it is a kick that is made every week in the NFL. It is missed as well, but he had just made one close to that distance to tie the game. I have zero issues in going for that kick. The entire defense would expect the sneak. A lot to risk on that one single play for no guarantee that the next three plays nets any yards anyway. Take the shot at the W when you have it.

To be even fairer - QB sneaks have a far higher success rate and are also made every week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Absolutely NOT. However, he should have gone for it instead of counting on the rookie kicker. QB sneak could have been the difference. Getting conservative was what cost him in the SB with the Falcons...I think it cost him yesterday as well.

Agree. 

The more I think about it, I feel like a QB sneak would have been the best thing to do. But given that the kicker just made a kick from the same yardline, good weather conditions..can understand letting him try to win it. 

Not sure there was really a wrong or right, just a **** result. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SFrush said:

MM thinks we should have taken the tie and I agree. I know it doesn't send a great message to your team but a tie could given us a slight edge at keeping the one seed at the end of the season.

Without necessarily going for the tie, I didn't like the play calls on that drive. We could have gone with shorter, safer passes, maybe to the running back in the flat, or something over the middle, just to get into a rhythm and get the ball moving. Honestly, since midway through the 4th quarter, I kept waiting/hoping/expecting for passes to JuiceCheck. That never came. He was targeted earlier in the game on a deep throw that went incomplete, but nothing else. He wasn't used enough, especially considering Kittle wasn't in uniform. I think a quick throw to Coleman or Juice would have gotten the offense rolling more than the actual play calls we went with. And it would have kept the clock rolling, instead of giving Russell the ball back with time to get up the field. 

• Like 1