NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The greatest trick teams pulled was convincing people Kaepernick wasn't a good QB.

He wasn't.

He wasn't terrible by any means, but he wasn't very good either. Like I said, low-end starter/high-end backup.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

He wasn't.

He wasn't terrible by any means, but he wasn't very good either. Like I said, low-end starter/high-end backup.

He wasn't even a low-end starter lol I guess you could argue he was on the tail end of the 15-20 range but that's about it. And in case anyone hasn't noticed this year, backup QB's are kind of important just in case your starter breaks his thumb, or retires out of nowhere, or tears his UCL trying to throw a football, or...whatever happened to Patrick Mahomes, etc. etc.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He wasn't even a low-end starter lol I guess you could argue he was on the tail end of the 15-20 range but that's about it. And in case anyone hasn't noticed this year, backup QB's are kind of important just in case your starter breaks his thumb, or retires out of nowhere, or tears his UCL trying to throw a football, or...whatever happened to Patrick Mahomes, etc. etc.

Again, I'm not denying that he'd be a valuable backup (assuming he's the same player he was). But teams do not think he's worth the potential PR problems to be a backup/decent at best starter. If he was a top QB, he'd be in the league, period. If players like Kareem Hunt were average at best players, they wouldn't be in the league at the moment. But a guy like Hunt and some of the others you mentioned are some of the best players at their respective positions, so that's why they received another opportunity to play - regardless if they should have or not.

Just now, DawgX said:

Again, I'm not denying that he'd be a valuable backup (assuming he's the same player he was). But teams do not think he's worth the potential PR problems to be a backup/decent at best starter. If he was a top QB, he'd be in the league, period. If players like Kareem Hunt were average at best players, they wouldn't be in the league at the moment. But a guy like Hunt and some of the others you mentioned are some of the best players at their respective positions, so that's why they received another opportunity to play - regardless if they should have or not.

Kaepernick wasn't "average at best". When he was in Greg Roman's system he was a pretty damn good QB and I'd argue "one of the best at his respective position". Then Roman left and they made him a pocket passer and he regressed to being an average/slightly below average starter (should also be mentioned that the talent around him became a wasteland at this time, too).

Teams are still taking flyers on Josh freaking Gordon and all of his headaches. It's been heavily rumored that teams are interested in Antonio Brown as soon as he figures whatever out that he's going through.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Kaepernick wasn't "average at best". When he was in Greg Roman's system he was a pretty damn good QB and I'd argue "one of the best at his respective position". Then Roman left and they made him a pocket passer and he regressed to being an average/slightly below average starter (should also be mentioned that the talent around him became a wasteland at this time, too).

Teams are still taking flyers on Josh freaking Gordon and all of his headaches. It's been heavily rumored that teams are interested in Antonio Brown as soon as he figures whatever out that he's going through.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree in regards to how good Kaepernick was. I think he was average at best.

Gordon and Brown are supremely talented receivers. That's the reason Gordon has been given so many chances and why Brown might be given another one. It's not that complicated to figure out. If they were average or even slightly above average, they'd be out of the league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

People didn’t turn off their TVs because of Gordon and Brown. The Kaep PR is infinitely more challenging. 

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

C'mon now, Kaepernick has never been in Watson's category. Probably not even as good as Lamar has been thus far. He was a flash in the pan. He got figured out and it seems like you refuse to see it. That's really confusing. 

It seems like you read my posts and only manage to read what you want to hear.  Maybe go back and look at my posts where I have clearly stated he was never great.  The league is a copycat league, for better or worse, there's no denying that.  The parallels to Watson and Lamar (and Kyler and Dak and hell, even Josh freakin' Allen who is also inaccurate and mediocre at reading defenses) is that the current vogue is more mobile QB's (not necessarily "running/RPO" QB's, but let's face it, the quantity of quality OL being supplied to the NFL by the NCAA has been decreasing).  The parallel was never about the "quality of player to player" it's the archetype/style of QB.

34 minutes ago, DawgX said:

He was hardly any distraction his last season in the league. There was a media circus for the first few weeks he played and after that it was back to normal. Wouldn't expect it to be anything different this time around if he gets picked up. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

People didn’t turn off their TVs because of Gordon and Brown. The Kaep PR is infinitely more challenging. 

The amount of people who actually turned off their TV's versus the loudmouths (surprise, surprise - when given a medium to say something outlandish where they'll never be held accountable for their words, plenty of people will grasp for hyperbole) who said they were going to turn off their TV's, but still watched was pretty disproportionate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

The amount of people who actually turned off their TV's versus the loudmouths (surprise, surprise - when given a medium to say something outlandish where they'll never be held accountable for their words, plenty of people will grasp for hyperbole) who said they were going to turn off their TV's, but still watched was pretty disproportionate.

Both sides see only what we want to see: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He was hardly any distraction his last season in the league. There was a media circus for the first few weeks he played and after that it was back to normal. Wouldn't expect it to be anything different this time around if he gets picked up. 

Probably cause he got benched his final year in SF and giving a backup QB media attention didn't really make much sense. Highly doubt any team picks him up after the lawsuit and being out of the league three years anyways. Guy was a QB who needed to run to be successful, that just doesn't work long term in the NFL.

• Like 1