NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

48 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Just as years before, I don't know why the League can't just openly tell this guy to kick rocks, and make sure teams do not have any option to sign him. This goes to any player that can't fall in line, or brings unwanted BS to this game. 

I'm not a fan of second or third chances, for the NFL. Privilege... not a right. Stay in line and play well, you make huge money by playing a silly sport, and can have a luxurious life. Fall out of favor, see ya, bye bye. 

Fans: "Athletes should use their platform to bring awareness to issues that matter"

Also fans: "No, not those issues! Shut up, fall in line and throw the football for my entertainment!"

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Fans: "Athletes should use their platform to bring awareness to issues that matter"

Also fans: "No, not those issues! Shut up, fall in line and throw the football for my entertainment!"

Wearing socks with pigs in a police uniform is a great way to do that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'd never be grouped in with your first line. Most fans watch players to watch players play on the field. They get paid.. to play on the field. 

If a player wants to promote thoughts and agendas to others, do so by selling tickets for their own paid out symposium. Also be aware that by doing even that, the NFL can and should be able to fire anyone with which they do not want in their employ.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

I'd never be grouped in with your first line. Most fans watch players to watch players play on the field. They get paid.. to play on the field. 

And literally nothing he was doing was distracting from that, unless you think him silently kneeling during the National Anthem was somehow hindering your ability to watch him on the field?

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And literally nothing he was doing was distracting from that, unless you think him silently kneeling during the National Anthem was somehow hindering your ability to watch him on the field?

Well, he loaded the gun time and again... and the media fired it. 

Can't dismiss the media, but he can be taken to task, and was. Dude got paid to whizz off. Guess now he's back for more NFL resources to promote his real passion. Probably gets it too, so rejoice! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

If a player wants to promote thoughts and agendas to others, do so by selling tickets for their own paid out symposium. Also be aware that by doing even that, the NFL can and should be able to fire anyone with which they do not want in their employ.

OK, so then tune in at 1PM EST and turn the game off at 4PM EST....

No ones making you watch anything besides that. No one is making you care about it one way or the other. You and you alone, control how you react to things

20 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

So does the Rooney Rule technically,  but in most instances that too is nothing more then a dog and pony show to circumvent the rule.

The purpose of the Rooney rule is to get a foot in the door; it does not guarantee a job.  The NFL does not owe anyone a contract nor can they force a team to hire somebody ....  

Similarly, a visit/workout is an opportunity to get a foot in the door.  If the team likes what you have to offer, they extend a contract, if not, tough nuggies....  

we’re talking about a fringe starter with a lot of baggage; it shouldn’t be a surprise that nobody wanted him, but there were opportunities for Kaepernick...

20 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

With that said, do I believe most Clubs don't want to deal with the eventual backlash of the a Kaepernick signing and all that entails,  Absolutely (to be clear)  But let's not also Pretend there hasn't been a contiencious decision by all 32 clubs/Owners Not to have him signed the past 3 years too in large part because of that Lawsuit.

Especially when you look at this list of the 32 Backups in the League. Won't even bother mentioning a handful of supposed Starters right now.

I don’t believe the league colluded to keep him out...  he came with baggage, and really wasn’t that good.  Nobody wanted the headache, simple as that..

as for the last point, I agree, Kaepernick is better than a majority of backups, and maybe a couple starters, but is that worth dividing the locker room?

20 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

He never received "Multiple Offers" the following season

The only thing discussed was a hypothetical trade to Denver on the condition that he take a massive paycut and waive the remainder of his guaranteed money. The 49ers had already shown a unwillingness to play him in fear that an injury would force them to pay out the rest of his contract. By not agreeing to the paycut, Denver didn't do the trade and He took the opt out to become a Free Agent and aside from visits to Baltimore and Seattle, never has received a firm contract offer

Yes, I stand corrected...  Sorry Everybody, I misspoke...  Kap did not receive any contract offers..

he did however visit a couple teams, where HE ultimately loused up any potential contract offer...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The LBC said:

I'll deal with the bolded part first.  You do realize that in order for a player to "compete for a backup spot" he actually has to be on the team and thus be under contract, right?  Don't be dense.

There’s no need to be snarky, we’re just talking here...

let me put it another way; if, if they had offered him a contract, he’d simply compete for a backup role..   my point is why deal with the media headache that would come with a backup QB?

Now, take a minute and go back and read what you quoted.  Actually look at the words that are there and read them as they are - not as you want them to be.  When you're already citing a "rumors" website (which in itself only substantiated the point I made: i.e. there weren't "multiple offers" as you were so adamant, and the visit never even materialized into a contract offer or even a workout) and their non-citation words include purely speculative/non-committal phrases like "Word out of Seahawks headquarters," you're not providing credible support to your assertions.  The declination Kaepernick made, according to we-don't-know-who because the website links a video but doesn't actually quote any of what Rappaport says in the video and per the citation what Rappaport is reporting is a secondhand recounting from Kaep's people (which is lazy *** reporting to begin with from the website), was with regard to declining committing at that time to a firm plan on his protest. 

Again, you can make a point without being condescending...

you don't have to believe Ian Rappaport if you don’t want, but he is a NFL beat writer, and I don’t really feel the need to qualify him, but that’s up to you.

Rapporport reports (second hand or not) that in some capacity, Kaepernick refused to commit one way or another on the protesting, and because of that, the meeting fell through.

They extended the olive branch and he turned it down.  This is not my opinion, this is a report by a well known NFL beat writer...

He's a union-protected potential employee, it's not unreasonable in the slightest for him to question whether a team even has a right under the Collective Bargaining Agreement to infringe upon his Constitutionally-protected free speech, to the extent to make it a condition of employment (which could/would subsequently make it a viable condition of dismissal).

If the team doesn’t want him protesting, and he truly feels that the reason no team wants him is because of the protesting, but he truly wants back in the league, then yes, it is unreasonable; constitutionally protected free speech has no baring here..

if you want to be on the team, you have to follow their rules, and apparently he chose not to commit to doing that, and the opportunity was blown....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

"We're not just going out there looking for the best football player only who cares about the rest of his package"

I guess this explains why guys like Kareem Hunt, Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon and Greg Hardy (before he dropped for MMA) weren't immediately dropped from the league. After all, the NFL isn't just looking for "the best players", right Marcellus?

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

"We're not just going out there looking for the best football player only who cares about the rest of his package"

I guess this explains why guys like Kareem Hunt, Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon and Greg Hardy (before he dropped for MMA) weren't immediately dropped from the league. After all, the NFL isn't just looking for "the best players", right Marcellus?

Difference is, those guys are all really good and talented. You can argue if it was right or not for them to get a second chance (or in Gordon's case, multiple chances), but teams are more willing to gamble on players like the ones you mentioned because they are really, really good. Teams are less likely to gamble on a player who simply isn't that good, and that's what Kap is. If Kap was a top QB, he'd be in the league right now. But he was/is a low-end starter/high-end backup. Teams don't view him as being worth the possible headache when his talent isn't worth it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Difference is, those guys are all really good and talented. You can argue if it was right or not for them to get a second chance (or in Gordon's case, multiple chances), but teams are more willing to gamble on players like the ones you mentioned because they are really, really good. Teams are less likely to gamble on a player who simply isn't that good, and that's what Kap is. If Kap was a top QB, he'd be in the league right now. But he was/is a low-end starter/high-end backup. Teams don't view him as being worth the possible headache when his talent isn't worth it.

The greatest trick teams pulled was convincing people Kaepernick wasn't a good QB.