Can we name every team's best player ever?

Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

I don’t know too much about the Rams history or Deacon Jones, but I can’t see it being anyone else other than Aaron Donald once he’s retired. 

Deacon Jones was Aaron Donald before Aaron Donald. Doesn’t mean Donald can’t surpass him though 

Too bad they didn’t count sacks back then or we’d be talking about Deacon Jones as prolly the best defensive player of all time 

He was responsible for naming a whole stat category, which, ironically, they didn't record any of his officially hah.

Headslap is illegal now, probably solely because of him.  When they start changing rules because of you, it's often a pretty good sign you are/were a beast, like Jim Brown in lacrosse.  

Aaron Donald would probably have to put up significantly better stats to overtake Deacon Jones, in my opinion at least, since he probably won't be responsible for a rules change or creating a new stat category.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 10:58 AM, skywlker32 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns_relocation_controversy

All Cleveland history remained in Cleveland after they moved to Baltimore. The Ravens were treated historically as an expansion team. Not at all the same as Oilers and Titans/Texans.

I think what made this a lot easier is that the Browns name and team colors stayed in Cleveland.  I think all major sports should make it a rule that anytime a team owner wants to move his team, he has to start up with a new team name and different uniforms.  This would allow the PEOPLE who have loved the team throughout its history up to that point to keep the traditions and memories alive in their own community. 

In Minnesota, I grew up with an NHL team called the North Stars.  At one point, the team owner made the decision to move the team to Dallas and he kind of changed the name to the Dallas Stars.  Well, I could never get excited about the Dallas Stars because they weren't the team I grew up with.  There was no tradition there.  Minnesota is one of the best hockey markets in the country, so eventually, they were awarded another NHL franchise.  They came up with the name of the Minnesota Wild.  Really?  What is a "wild?"  Even their team logo isn't really anything specific.  It has a picture of the outdoors in Minnesota.  Big deal!  Anyway, my point is that if the NHL had allowed Minnesota to keep all rights to the "North Stars" logo, colors, and name, then the new team could have resumed business and carried on with its history.  As it is, Minnesota now has a team that has only been around a fraction as long, and it is a team that I never found it worth investing in as a fan.

The same holds true in the case of the Houston Oilers.  When the Oilers moved to Tennessee, they should have kept the Oilers name, logo, and team colors in Houston.  I'm a Minnesotan and have to admit that I don't know everything there is about the State of Tennessee, but one thing I'm reasonably sure of is that there are a whole lot more oil fields in and around Houston than there are in the entire state of Tennessee.  

To me, Earl Campbell will always be a Houston Oiler because that's what he was when I had the privilege of seeing him play, but for younger fans in Tennessee, I won't begrudge them of claiming him too because, technically, he is also a part of the history of their team.  Fortunately for all of us, it doesn't matter whether we live in Texas, Tennessee, Minnesota, or London England.  We can all "claim" the great players in history that we love because we are all football fans in general and we can all appreciate everything they added to the history of the sport and how they enriched our lives by giving us the pleasure of watching them play. 

Speaking of history, here is a picture of one of the classic North Star players - goalie Gump Worsley.  He was one of the last goalies to play the sport without wearing a mask.  I can't imagine playing the goalie position without a mask back in the days when Bobby Hull was playing and firing those 100 mph slap shots in your direction!  That's part of the history that you get with the North Stars but miss out on with the Minnesota Wild.

CcN-v3OW4AA_T1K.jpg

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

You my friend are crazy. It's LT pretty easily.

One Charger that was REALLY good was Dan Fouts.  I remember watching that guy and it seemed like he used to just throw bomb after bomb and almost every one of them was a completion.  He was incredible!

On 11/22/2019 at 9:19 AM, Jotun_Fan said:

He was responsible for naming a whole stat category, which, ironically, they didn't record any of his officially hah.

Headslap is illegal now, probably solely because of him.  When they start changing rules because of you, it's often a pretty good sign you are/were a beast, like Jim Brown in lacrosse.  

Aaron Donald would probably have to put up significantly better stats to overtake Deacon Jones, in my opinion at least, since he probably won't be responsible for a rules change or creating a new stat category.

I mean, he had a rule change instituted because he was hitting people in the head, not exactly something that requires elite athletic skills or intelligence.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

One Charger that was REALLY good was Dan Fouts.  I remember watching that guy and it seemed like he used to just throw bomb after bomb and almost every one of them was a completion.  He was incredible!

Fouts was great. But alot of that was successful due to the system. But he is definitely a HOFer.

3 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Also as far as players who played for teams that moved and such, I don't think it makes much sense for a fanbase to claim a player when literally 0.01% of them may have cheered for the guy before their city got their own team.

Then you end up eliminating them from history.

24 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Then you end up eliminating them from history.

Not at all, the people who grew up cheering for them can remember them and still love them.

If the Steelers moves out of Pittsburgh to someplace like Toronto, it would be silly for fans of the Toronto Steelers to act like they cared about Hines Ward or Troy Polamalu, just like it would be silly for me to stop caring about them.