Tyrod Time in LA?

bertuzzi

7 hours ago, viper952 said:

Best QB in team history?

Hall of famer Dan Fouts would like a word with you

It's a discussion at the absolute least. Pretty sure Rivers is as close to a first ballot HoF guy as you can get without a ring to seal the deal. 

Nonetheless, the point here is you don't bench that calibur QB for Tyrod friggin Taylor.

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not going to wade through all of this.

So--the premise is that after two bad games Rivers is done?

That's...interesting. 

I don’t necessarily think he’s done, but it is the last year of his contract and he will be 38.  I suppose they could re-sign him, but they will still need to draft a QB in 2020 or 2021.  

It's not like he's throwing 8 billion stupid "my arm is dead" picks, the offense is injured and bad. You don't bench a HoF QB unless it's clearly the end, and Rivers still has some gas left in the tank.

NFL Gen threads are always dumb.

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Tyrod doesn't give the Chargers any sort of advantage over Rivers. People forget that Tyrod wasn't really good in Buffalo or Cleveland. 

If this was a situation where Tyrod is some young upstart you need to evaluate, I can get it. But, we already know what Tyrod is, which is an average QB. No need to bench the best QB in team history to give him a shot.

Ehhhhhh Tyrod gets undeserved critique, he was a good QB here but the franchise decided to tear it down and rebuild rather than stick with a Dolphins like "we can probably win 7-8 games every year" level team. He should still probably be a starter somewhere. The Browns with Hue were a tire fire he had 0 chance to succeed there.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

13 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Ehhhhhh Tyrod gets undeserved critique, he was a good QB here but the franchise decided to tear it down and rebuild rather than stick with a Dolphins like "we can probably win 7-8 games every year" level team. He should still probably be a starter somewhere. The Browns with Hue were a tire fire he had 0 chance to succeed there.

While this might be the case, I don't think Tyrod is "the future" anywhere. That's my point - Phillip Rivers is a guy who is eventually benched for "the future" at QB, a guy the franchise brought in to eventually replace him.

Tyrod might be misunderstood, sure - but I think we're sure that he's not a 10 year starter for anyone anymore. That's who should take the next snap for the Chargers, a guy who fits that mold. 

9 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Of course he would but Fouts is #2 franchise wise behind Rivers at this point. Not to even mention supporting casts. Chandler to the left; Joyner to the right and Winslow working the middle of the field was a thing of defensive nightmares. 

Not to mentio Fouts had a huge advantage in the HC department with Coryell.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

But at least tyrod can make plays with his legs. They can roll him out more and move the pocket to buy more time. 

Not saying he's better than rivers or that they should start him, but sometimes it makes more sense to have a mobile QB if your OL is crap. 

I mean, a few of those plays on Monday night were absolute garbage and had nothing to do with the OL 

DANG NABIT 

Rolling the pocket makes sense when your interior line is getting whooped.  The Chargers are presently starting backups (both rookies) at both OT spots.  You roll the pocket and you're rolling right into the oncoming edge rushers.

If the ultimate goal (in some peoples' minds) is replacing Rivers then trying to win games shouldn't be the goal.  The team is currently fighting with the Broncos for who gets to be the caboose of the division and is on the losing end of tiebreakers to both divisional teams ahead of them... and competing in the conference for a wild card spot is hardly worth discussing.

• Like 1

The season is over. Now the only point is to play for pride. Tanking for a better draft spot is a stupid option when you're already struggling to get traction in a new market. I do believe Tyrod will be given a chance to take over when Rivers retires. Lynn has worked with Tyrod before and obviously liked him enough to bring him to the Chargers. Benching Rivers in favor of Tyrod makes no sense. There's also no concrete evidence that this is the wheels coming off Rivers due to age and not a slump or the accumulation of hits taken this season behind an offensive line who's best blocker is currently Austin Ekelor. The Chargers have enjoyed no continuity on the line. 3 different starters at Left tackle, two at Right, two at LG and 3 at center. That's a big ask to find success behind that kind of chaos and we're only in week 11.

The Chargers have had the luxury of a Rivers for over a decade and the ability to ignore QB as a team need. I went into this season believing it could be Rivers' last. His contract is up at the end of the season and he commutes from San Diego to Los Angeles every day for practice. It's easy to see where he could decide he would rather spend time with his large family. He has previously stated he wants to play in the new stadium so he may come back on a short deal. He has also said he wants to coach his sons high school team which the clock is ticking up on. He may walk away. This franchise hasn't done him any favors and with the home crowd situation, I could easily see it being time to hang them up.

Chargers need to evaluate the QB 2020 draft class and if a prospect falls to them, consider pulling the trigger. This is less then ideal in my mind. Ideally Rivers comes back for one or two more years, a stop gap veteran follows in his footsteps and the Chargers start the process of actually replacing Rivers following  the disaster of the journeyman season. Regardless benching Rivers shouldn't be an option. He gives us the best chance to win now. Tyrod shouldn't be considered more then a possible veteran stopgap to bridge from Rivers to prospect.

23 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Rolling the pocket makes sense when your interior line is getting whooped.  The Chargers are presently starting backups (both rookies) at both OT spots.  You roll the pocket and you're rolling right into the oncoming edge rushers.

If the ultimate goal (in some peoples' minds) is replacing Rivers then trying to win games shouldn't be the goal.  The team is currently fighting with the Broncos for who gets to be the caboose of the division and is on the losing end of tiebreakers to both divisional teams ahead of them... and competing in the conference for a wild card spot is hardly worth discussing.

Fair points, well reasoned, good post

Thank you for always eloquently articulating factual information. This forum is better because you post in it 

• Like 2