Offseason Work to do

mwalker

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Just as easily as you are sure it was motivation, I could point at coaching. His coordinator was Joey Porter his entire career. Look at the improvement of BOTH Watt and Bud when he left. 

That's fair but his being inconsistent off the LOS points to effort imo. But no doubt coaching has played a part. 

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

That's fair but his being inconsistent off the LOS points to effort imo. But no doubt coaching has played a part. 

we will all be monitoring this in the future if he gets a new deal here or somewhere else. I never understood how a player could be slow off the snap. Not everyone is really quick but at least be decent because it's the most important part for pass rushing according to Bruce Smith. 

On 12/7/2019 at 9:18 PM, wwhickok said:

The time has come.

For me to admit that most likely, it appears I was wrong about Bud Dupree. After 4 years of deserved frustration, Bud Dupree finally became the player we had hoped he would be all along. It turns out that he was worth the 9.25M and that I find myself hoping we find a way to keep him and Hargrave. While I'm still slightly cautious about whether or not he will drop off after getting paid I've been among the most critical of him. I've enjoyed my crow this season tbh. I'm a man of integrity and with that, have no problem admitting when I'm wrong and this appears to be one of those times.

Dupree has been great this year, but I wouldnt say you (we, actually) were wrong about him in the past.

The potential was always there, but he never looked more than average before this year, and usually worse than that.   If he were a mid round pick, I would have been content with his play.    I never saw consistent first round talent until this year.   I saw a guy who constantly relied almost entirely on his athletcism to make plays, and it wasnt working.

This year, its clear he has got better coaching.    As noted, it shows how bad of a LB coach Porter was.   There was never much discipline or technique with him.

All that being said, Im also a little cautious about the fact that this is a contract year for Bud.     I wouldnt mind keeping him, because he is a great compliment to TJ....but TJ and Minkah are the two players this team absolutely cant lose.

Fortunately, Ben's contract should be off the books no later than the 2022 offseason, and hopefully the same with Pouncey...so its feasible that we can keep Bud, TJ and Mikah under contract for the forseeable future.   

Still a little skeptical about Bud.     Not a huge fan of paying a player based on one nice year.     Franchise tag, maybe?    

• Like 1

I just think Buds year is a mixture of everything. Butler is a better coach than Porter, he is getting more out of him technically, He wasn't hurt at any point during the off-season, he is playing far stronger than he seemed to in the past. The back end is much better than years past which is helping passrush. 

I really dont know. I am still a little skeptical of Bud long term (probably from the hate I threw his way the last 2 years), but this feels more like an unlocking to me than a contract year burst. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I just think Buds year is a mixture of everything. Butler is a better coach than Porter, he is getting more out of him technically, He wasn't hurt at any point during the off-season, he is playing far stronger than he seemed to in the past. The back end is much better than years past which is helping passrush. 

I really dont know. I am still a little skeptical of Bud long term (probably from the hate I threw his way the last 2 years), but this feels more like an unlocking to me than a contract year burst. 

I'm a bit skeptical too, but at least there is enough proof this year that he can play like good starter. I liked how he learned to FF, where in the past he would just make the tackle. In the past colbert  has overpaid players, it might happen again. It will matter most when the cap hit is high, and then how is the performance. A prime example of this right now would be pouncey - not playing near his salary at all. 

41 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It seems like Colbert has a decent track record when it comes to giving his drafted players contracts. Some of the FA signings aren't the best, but at least the contracts are pretty short. I think people just like complaining about someone. 

as long as he signs players that play near the value of their contract, there shouldn't be anything to complain about. Wasting a RD1 pick on a CB that wasn't even a full time starter in NCAA  would be an example of a fail that shouldn't have happened.  Jarvis actually had stats in college so some could defend that pick.  The team really needed them to step up,  but had to go elsewhere for legit starter play.

I hope the steelers give Kerrith Whyte  more carries and see what he does with it.. can take RB off the list of needs for one more yr. can roll with conner, snell, samuals and whtye next yr

same goes for Cain too.. Juju, Johnson, Washington and Cain could be a nice WR core..they probably should still add another offensive player tho but our depth could be better next yr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

as long as he signs players that play near the value of their contract, there shouldn't be anything to complain about. Wasting a RD1 pick on a CB that wasn't even a full time starter in NCAA  would be an example of a fail that shouldn't have happened.  Jarvis actually had stats in college so some could defend that pick.  The team really needed them to step up,  but had to go elsewhere for legit starter play.

Yep, but every GM whiffs on 1st rounders sometimes. Artie was bust, Jarvis Jones was a bust, common thread with them, Colbert didn't re-sign them. He does a good job of doling our contracts for his guys. Even Pouncey's deal can be gotten out of after next year pretty easily. I think Colbert is a lot better of a GM than some give him credit for around here. Is he the best GM in the NFL? No, but he's built an amazingly stable, talented, competitive, team. He has his warts, but so does every GM. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I dont really disagree, but its still hard to get excited about paying a player elite money based on one great season.

• Like 1

The pressure our front 4 is getting on the QB has been the engine to make this defense go.  They need to franchise or transition tag him and go from there.  Giving him a long term contract worth 14 million a season just isn't warranted at this point.  Give it another year and then reassess

48 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

The pressure our front 4 is getting on the QB has been the engine to make this defense go.  They need to franchise or transition tag him and go from there.  Giving him a long term contract worth 14 million a season just isn't warranted at this point.  Give it another year and then reassess

If they can keep the front together and they actually improve a bit (Watt and Dupree entering their prime, Tuitt returns) , they should be a top of the league defence .  All the $ wasted on the killer b's and we won nothin and never beat a legit playoff team with them. Time to go back to having a legit top defence and roll with the rest.

he will be UFA, they can't tag him from what I remember. They would have had to tagged him this year, back when they were deciding if they should even give him the 5th year option, remember that?

It will be interesting to see what they sign him for seeing that colbert will overpay his draft picks. If he tests the market, I don't see him getting the Smiths deals, maybe 13M per over 3 years. I don't see a 4 or 5 year deal from other teams mainly because of only one good year out of 5 and it was a contract year. Too bad he was poorly coached and it affected everything  (defence, his progress and eventual next deal etc.) 

The offseason will be busy, they have their work cut out for them whoever is in the FO.  

Additional detail to add to the 2020 outlook due to it being a “Final League Year”.

Final League Year Rules:

-Teams get an extra Transition Tag....not sure this can help us considering the Bell fiasco, but we and all teams have an extra tag.

-No post-June 1 designations allowing teams to aborb a chunk of dead money in the following season’s salary cap.

-Contracts signed beyond 2020 can’t have pay increases that exceed 30% of prior year’s salary.

-Incentive bonuses usually count in the following season’s salary cap. In the Final League Year the incentive bonuses hit the salary cap immediately when earned.

Source:

Pull up the NFL CBA pdf and search for “Final League Year”, and the contract is littered with this term 33 times.

Or

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/260 ... -offseason

What about trying to sign Larry Fitzgerald? I know he is near the end, but if he had decent QB play he still could play at the highest level.  Get a legit pro and quality leader on the team to mentor the youth,  and also a legit threat . I also saw him throw a good block in the run game last week, which wasn't good (at the time of course) o.O

• 2 weeks later...