Week 2 GDT - Green Bay Packers vs. Atlanta Falcons

CWood21

3 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

no, I just think the safety position is too deep. HHCD, Burnett, Brice, and Evans all ahead of him. 

Agreed. He's (Jones) isn't that good yet. Hopefully he'll get there, but he won't see much playing time this year methinks.

Hopefully not anyway, (with the caveat Jones continues to ascend ;) )

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. He's (Jones) isn't that good yet. Hopefully he'll get there, but he won't see much playing time this year methinks.

Hopefully not anyway, (with the caveat Jones continues to ascend ;) )

He has the potential to ascend, but that is no guarantee.  Youth is on his side, but that alone is not enough¬¬

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

who is currently available?

Several guys available. Greco, Lelito immediately come to mind, guys with track records and starter experience. Tiller another G option. Tackle, you could kick the tires on a guy like Kouandjio. Or if we have our eye on a guy with another team, we could always ship a 6th-7th rounder possibly. We have about 12 draft picks next year.

Bottom line is that right now going into ATL, our backup line consists of Murphy, Patrick, McCray and Pankey. Out of those 4, one guy has ever played a regular season snap. I'd be okay with 1, maybe 2 guys like that as your 8 and 9 guys but there is no logical reason to be where we are at, especially once Barclay went down. Are we prepared to play McCray or Pankey in a real game? Seems irresponsible to me.

11 hours ago, KFP7 said:

Did anybody watch the Bears/Falcons game?  Going into the game I would have figured Atlanta would dominate, but the score suggested otherwise.  Was curious if a lot of points were left off the board, if Atlanta just played bad, or what.  I do think Chicago is better than expected but no way are they playoff contenders yet or anything.  Also, with this nitro package, is the downside being a little light for running plays?  I remember the NASCAR package a year or so back being talked about and it got abused by offensive coordinators and was curious if the nitro might follow the same pattern or if it'll be a part of our defense for the whole year. 

I watched most of it.  The Falcons weren't really prepared and sloppy, while the Bears were more ready to play.  The Falcons got lucky really, as the Bears should have won that game.

All that probably goes out the window next week though.  The Falcons are going to have extra motivation to be ready and win the 1st game in their brand new stadium.

Wondering if its a probability not a possibility that Bulaga is going to miss another week. Watched Murphy's and Nelson's locker room interviews and oth sounded pretty certain that Murphy is starting. Hard to believe that Bulaga still can't go. Not sure about Murphy on turf against speed rushers...

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Several guys available. Greco, Lelito immediately come to mind, guys with track records and starter experience. Tiller another G option. Tackle, you could kick the tires on a guy like Kouandjio. Or if we have our eye on a guy with another team, we could always ship a 6th-7th rounder possibly. We have about 12 draft picks next year.

Bottom line is that right now going into ATL, our backup line consists of Murphy, Patrick, McCray and Pankey. Out of those 4, one guy has ever played a regular season snap. I'd be okay with 1, maybe 2 guys like that as your 8 and 9 guys but there is no logical reason to be where we are at, especially once Barclay went down. Are we prepared to play McCray or Pankey in a real game? Seems irresponsible to me.

I think you would see similar situations on most teams. most backups are not people the fans are comfortable seeing on the field. plenty of teams don't even have a full group of starts that they're confident in , much less a reserve they're comfortable with if 1 guy gets hurt, much much less 2 reserves fans are comfortable with if 2 guys get hurt. I just think you seem to have an overly high opinion of other teams' backups to fault GB in comparison

Falcons fans seem to think they deliberately played a bit Vanilla against Chicago to keep some new, more creative stuff for us. If that's true it was risky because they could have easily lost that game, the Bears had a chance to win it.

I'm expecting a much tougher test for our defense but I don't think we will face a beat down here. I think we will quickly come to the conclusion that we were are not as good as the Seattle performance indicated but much better than last season.

On offense the only thing that concerns me was again we left plays on the field, sometimes why don't you just take what the defense gives you instead of waiting for that big play to develop? I really don't like when our Offense does that, it should be smart enough and well coached enough to mix it up. Got to get that running game going a bit more and hopefully pass pro will hold up, that Falcons D isn't as good as the Seahawks especially up front.

13 hours ago, squire12 said:

He has the potential to ascend, but that is no guarantee.  Youth is on his side, but that alone is not enough¬¬

Dom also asks a crap ton from his safeties... even if Jones is physically ready (which he is) the mental part of that position in this D will take a bit to get comfortable with

atleast hes seeing reps on ST's... hell probably be considered a ST's Demon before he gets meaningful reps at S (assuming they stay reletivly healthy at that position)

I remember not too long ago the cabinets were pretty bare at safety... now we got a potential stud sitting at #5 on the depth chart 

39 minutes ago, driftwood said:

Dom also asks a crap ton from his safeties... even if Jones is physically ready (which he is) the mental part of that position in this D will take a bit to get comfortable with

atleast hes seeing reps on ST's... hell probably be considered a ST's Demon before he gets meaningful reps at S (assuming they stay reletivly healthy at that position)

I remember not too long ago the cabinets were pretty bare at safety... now we got a potential stud sitting at #5 on the depth chart 

Yep, getting the mental part of the game down is a huge reason rookies and 2nd year players improve. It takes time to absorb it all.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:43 PM, Shanedorf said:

From The Dope Sheet:

The Packers have won their last seven regular-season games, the second-longest current streak in the NFL behind Pittsburgh (eight).

Green Bay won its final three regular season road games last season

4 of the 7 against 2016 playoff teams.  Including the 3 playoff games as well, 9-1 in last 10 games beating 6 of 7 2016 playoff teams.

Archived