Week 2 GDT - Green Bay Packers vs. Atlanta Falcons

CWood21

We are facing a different offense.  I don't think Atlanta has anything resembling like what they did with Shanahan.  Sark just doesn't have these guys playing like they should yet.

Atlanta will be much more balanced and efficient though.  Julio is a tough pull, and Dom likes to double him.  So let's see what the Nitro package can do vs Hooper and Sanu.

Also watch out for the 3 TE package from ATL... they like to pass out of that, and pass deep, if we respond with heavy sets.  I think Ryan can still be had; he'll go late to the outside when pressured, and I expect House to make 1-2 plays for possible INTs.

On defense, we need a pass rush. We couldn't beat Schraeder or Matthews around the edge in either game. Perry and Matthews need to bring it, if not this will be a long night for the D. Jones will get his, just keep him from the back breaking type play. Not too worried about Freeman and Coleman, though they're a talented bunch, they actually scare me more out of the backfield in the pass game. I can imagine they will throw out of a lot of 2/3rd and short looks to try and get their backs matched up on Ryan/Martinez.

Offensively this is a young D built and speed and hitting. Best thing to do there is constant misdirection and screen/draw game. I wouldn't mind a reverse or 2 to Janis/Cobb and a bunch of pre snap motion faking that play. Monty runs the draw really well, let Beasely and Reed get upfield and give it to Monty. Run drags and crossers all game long. Dont think the deep game or the bubble game will be effective versus these guys. Rodgers will have a hard time communicating in that atmosphere but he should still be able to win the cadence battle at the LOS. Keep a fast pace to keep them from subbing and a random cadence to keep them from pinning back their ears.

Not a lot of room for error in this one. We saw last year how fast these guys can pounce on a few errors, that being said I feel like if the roles were flipped and Coleman fumbles and Bryant misses a FG, we're just as capable of pouncing on them and getting things out of hand. It's gonna be a good one.

Lot of questions will be answered this week. Few things I'll be looking at 

1. Can we cover Freeman and Coleman? Historically we haven't been too good at covering backs. It'll be interesting to see how they do so, if they trust Martinez/Ryan, maybe Thomas? Or a safety ( J Jones with some reps maybe?)

2. Are we an upper tier D Line? A dominating performance vs a very good Atl line would give me supreme confidence the rest of the way. We'll def learn more about Clark as he goes up against Alex Mack.

3. We will learn more about our OTHER CBs. If House gets burnt by Julio , meh he does that too everyone. Can Randall, Rollins and King cover a very good veteran receiver in Mo Sanu? 

As long as Perry/Clay are healthy I'm buying defensive improvements and think we have a much better showing.

39 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Lot of questions will be answered this week. Few things I'll be looking at 

1. Can we cover Freeman and Coleman? Historically we haven't been too good at covering backs. It'll be interesting to see how they do so, if they trust Martinez/Ryan, maybe Thomas? Or a safety ( J Jones with some reps maybe?)

Us playing a lot of the Nitro package with Burnett as a LB last week, should be pretty good covering those guys out of the backfield.

Archived