Michael Thomas and the reception record

Elky

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

The sack was generated through a blitz, I'm pretty sure (believe that was Davis?), and there was some  pressure from Davenport. The big sack toward the end of the game was generated from a free runner safety blitz from Vonn Bell. The Mario Edwards sack actually came against our tackle, Mike McGlinchey and was not on the interior (even though the flow of the play made it seem like it did). 

After Richburg went out, the 49ers had 5 drives that resulted in 2 TD's (one of them was following the fumble though, so that doesn't really count), 2 Fg's and a punt. He was sacked twice (neither on the interior as they were the ones mentioned above) and then the saints had the one called back, which again, I believe was blitz based, though I admit  I do have to check on that when the game is up. 2 of those drives were 10+ plays (though as you mentioned, there was some penalty help there). The one thing that was noticeable was the big plays from the first half evaporated in the second. But that occurs for a myriad of reasons and I don't think that any one can directly attribute them to the injury. A, The Saints blitzed more. B) Secondary adjustments (we targeted Apple a lot less coming into the second half for some reason), C) The offense playing more or less in line with how they normally would (deep passes are very rare in this offense - its a passing offense predicated on RAC, not air yards). I didn't think that the injury caused a significant shift in how the offense operated at all. 

Is Garland / Brunskill as good as Richburg? No, and I'm not going to pretend that they are. Are there any 49ers fans on this forum that are overly concerned about this injury at this exact point in time? Not that I am aware. We all thought Garland did fine. Not great, but we can work with what he showed yesterday. 

Suppose we will have to see how that turns out going forward. Losing a crucial lineman can have a significant effect on the entire OL working together as a unit. Maybe the backups will step up to the task.

11 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Suppose we will have to see how that turns out going forward. Losing a crucial lineman can have a significant effect on the entire OL working together as a unit. Maybe the backups will step up to the task.

We have a false sense of bravado from missing our top three tackles for multiple weeks and surviving lol

• Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, Magnifico said:

49ers are going to stomp the Saints. Even moreso if Armstead is hobbled or not playing. Bosa going off against the backup? Oh boy.

Mobile QB's give the 49ers trouble not pure pocket QB's, Brees is gonna be sacked at least 5 times next week and the defence being on the field too long will eventually see the 49ers win by 2 TD's. I really don't see it ending well for the Saints given how they've played since the Bye.

Hey I'll hold my hands up I was completely and utterly wrong. Should have trusted in Breesus and Payton gameplan. The 49ers D-Line was a non-factor for most of the game and Thomas still easily got his. Kamara was the only offensive let down (and Cook being out). 

Jeez what a game.

As I said yesterday. Hope it's the Saints - 49ers in the NFC Title Game, but get the feeling Rodgers/Wilson are going to ruin that vibe.

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

Reception Record has been broken so many times over the past 25 years. QB's can't be touched and receivers can run all day. It'll be broken again in a few years. One of the least impressive records for NFL receivers.

The record has stood for 17 years. :/ How is that broken "so many times" in the past 25 years?

Before 2002, it had stood since 1995. So it's been broken 2 times in 25 years? How is that "so many times".

What Michael Thomas is doing this year is friggin' amazing. Almost as silly as the person in the gamethread yesterday who said "All Thomas does it catch stuff short". As if most of the 32 teams wouldn't do dirty things for a consistent receiver of his quality.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

The record has stood for 17 years. :/ How is that broken "so many times" in the past 25 years?

Before 2002, it had stood since 1995. So it's been broken 2 times in 25 years? How is that "so many times".

What Michael Thomas is doing this year is friggin' amazing. Almost as silly as the person in the gamethread yesterday who said "All Thomas does it catch stuff short". As if most of the 32 teams wouldn't do dirty things for a consistent receiver of his quality.

Basically if it is something impressive that a Saints player is doing, it will likely be belittled by certain posters on here.

25 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_single_season.htm

Look at how many times it's been approached with the past 10 years. It won't last long. Not trying to take away from Thomas. We all know he's a good receiver even if his head is shaped funny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_single_season.htm

Look at how many times it's been approached with the past 10 years. It won't last long. Not trying to take away from Thomas. We all know he's a good receiver even if his head is shaped funny.

Approached is not the same as broken. It's like talking about RB "approaching" 2K Rushing, QB "approaching" 5K passing. DE "approaching" 22.5 sacks!

While it does happen,  it's still rare even in today's Pass Wacky NFL. It will be the same for this record IF he breaks it. Maybe not 17 years, but beyond impressive non the less.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I don’t much worry about Viking fans comments on the Saints.

are you denying that the uptick in passing production accross the board make record breaking a little less soemthing now? doesnt mean thomas isnt havung a great season, but every year it seems like ____ player is the fastest ever to do _____. i love ryan but if you look at prodution alone hes going to have legitimate claim to like  top 5-6 qb of all time just by going from #s. we all know thats not true. wes welker would have been considered a top 3 wr in his time if youre just looking at catches.

thomas is having a great season, so this isnt a knock against him. it is a great season. but if some qb, lets say stafford, broke the passing yards record next year i would view it in the same light. its a cool accomplishment but thats about it.

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

are you denying that the uptick in passing production accross the board make record breaking a little less soemthing now? doesnt mean thomas isnt havung a great season, but every year it seems like ____ player is the fastest ever to do _____. i love ryan but if you look at prodution alone hes going to have legitimate claim to like  top 5-6 qb of all time just by going from #s. we all know thats not true. wes welker would have been considered a top 3 wr in his time if youre just looking at catches.

thomas is having a great season, so this isnt a knock against him. it is a great season. but if some qb, lets say stafford, broke the passing yards record next year i would view it in the same light. its a cool accomplishment but thats about it.

What Thomas is doing is actual production though, this isn’t a case of above average QB throws for 800 yards in garbage time on an 8-8 team.  Thomas has been the entire offense at times this year.

We all know passing stats have gotten inflated. Nobody in this thread thinks otherwise.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

What Thomas is doing is actual production though, this isn’t a case of above average QB throws for 800 yards in garbage time on an 8-8 team.  Thomas has been the entire offense at times this year.

We all know passing stats have gotten inflated. Nobody in this thread thinks otherwise.  

listen, im not arguing too much as ive already said 4 times now its a great season. I called it elite in another thread.

It does come with the smallest of asterisks with the way hes doing it. Calling it easier isnt the right word but its certainly less difficult than running the full route tree and running 20 yard outs etc, on a fairly regular basis. To a certain extent to catch he # of balls the thomas is or ab did for a couple years, or julio did for one, you have to run a lot of shorter routes, but this is just who thomas is period. at least with payton running the offense and brees at qb.