Michael Thomas and the reception record

Elky

29 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

That's all the saints care about anyway, have fun with that record. 

Yea, it’s not like we were trying to win the game or anything.

Let’s choose the best defense in the league to pad our stats against.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

The saints have a great offense. I give them that. We got out with the W. I guess those stats are a moral victory for you guys.🙄

Think you have me confused with a Saints fan? Or are you just responding like that because Ravens fans did it to you last week and want to pay it forward?

I was referring to the several posts suggesting he'd be shut down, limited, barely catch balls hurting his chances at Marvin Harrison's record.

Congrats on your W.🍺

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

The saints have a great offense. I give them that. We got out with the W. I guess those stats are a moral victory for you guys.🙄

Nobody is really claiming a moral victory, we're just confirming that Thomas is still on pace to break the record now. This thread started weeks ago and this was the game people were tuned in to as far as that record is concerned.

That game was too close to peacock around as a fan. You got out with the W, but it was by the skin of your teeth - any sort of playoff game would be just as much a coin flip, with the Saints having actual playoff experience to rely on. It's not set in stone that the 49ers win the division, so going BACK to New Orleans and winning again? I'm fairly certain in saying... it wouldn't happen.

• Like 4

That's all the saints care about anyway, have fun with that record. 

Thanks will do! I'm sure having the anchor of your OL likely out for the season is going to end well for your team this season.. That said, I hope Richburg has a quick recovery he's a great Center.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's not set in stone that the 49ers win the division, so going BACK to New Orleans and winning again? I'm fairly certain in saying... it wouldn't happen.

I sure hope SF doesn't have a better record in that scenario! It would be unfair to make them travel to a lesser Diivisional Champions house who they already beat, right? Or so I've been told at nausea in another thread.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I sure hope SF doesn't have a better record in that scenario! It would be unfair to make them travel to a lesser Diivisional Champions house who they already beat, right? Or so I've been told at nausea in another thread.

Basically? Yes.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Thanks will do! I'm sure having the anchor of your OL likely out for the season is going to end well for your team this season.. That said, I hope Richburg has a quick recovery he's a great Center.

It's actually the least pressing concern of our injuries lol. Does suck, but I think it's one that you can overcome rather well. Injury to Sherm is a concern. The injury to Kwon is really biting us right now, and as you saw, missing Tartt was really, really bad yesterday. You guys ate us alive at the seams and his back up (who is a terrible player I didn't understand replacing him with anyway) missed like every tackle he attempted yesterday (including the one that resulted in Cook's first TD). 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's actually the least pressing concern of our injuries lol. Does suck, but I think it's one that you can overcome rather well. Injury to Sherm is a concern. The injury to Kwon is really biting us right now, and as you saw, missing Tartt was really, really bad yesterday. You guys ate us alive at the seams and his back up (who is a terrible player I didn't understand replacing him with anyway) missed like every tackle he attempted yesterday (including the one that resulted in Cook's first TD). 

I suppose I don't watch the 49ers that much, so maybe I'm wrong, but it was evident that Richburg going out of the game changed the 49ers offense dramatically yesterday. The amount of pressure coming from the middle on Jimmy G was significantly different after Richburg was injured. The 49ers obviously still made some plays on offense, but they were mostly quick developing misdirection plays as Jimmy had no time in the pocket compared with much of the first half where there were longer developing plays that were tearing the Saints defense apart. 

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

I suppose I don't watch the 49ers that much, so maybe I'm wrong, but it was evident that Richburg going out of the game changed the 49ers offense dramatically yesterday. The amount of pressure coming from the middle on Jimmy G was significantly different after Richburg was injured. The 49ers obviously still made some plays on offense, but they were mostly quick developing misdirection plays as Jimmy had no time in the pocket compared with much of the first half where there were longer developing plays that were tearing the Saints defense apart. 

The best drive with regards to pass protection we had all game was with Garland in there (the drive that resulted in the second Bourne touchdown, I believe). You guys just sent more than 4 pass rushers a lot more in the second half (both teams did). Rushing 4 wasn't working for either side  (both quarterbacks didn't have an incomplete pass in the first half when the defense only rushed 4...how crazy is that?)

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

The best drive with regards to pass protection we had all game was with Garland in there (the drive that resulted in the second Bourne touchdown, I believe). You guys just sent more than 4 pass rushers a lot more in the second half (both teams did). Rushing 4 wasn't working for either side  (both quarterbacks didn't have an incomplete pass in the first half when the defense only rushed 4...how crazy is that?)

It was a crazy game.  I knew we were in trouble when I saw how fast and easily 49ers were scoring.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

I disagree in regards to that drive being the best pass blocking. It was the longest drive, but only due to the fact that the Saints committed 2 penalties that extended the drive.

On one play a sack on 3rd down was negated because of defensive holding. On another the 49ers fullback got a call as the Saints defender was called for unnecessary roughness on a 3rd down in which the Saints defense stopped the fullback short of the 3rd down on a checkdown pass.

It was noticeably different after Richburg went out. The Saints obviously blitzed more, but that is largely because it was much more effective with all the pressure being generated up the middle. That 1st half was definitely insane though.

Edited by tyler735

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

I disagree in regards to that drive being the best pass blocking. It was the longest drive, but only due to the fact that the Saints on 2 occasions that drive extended it with defensive penalties.

On one play a sack on 3rd down was negated because of defensive holding. On another the 49ers fullback got a call as the Saints defender was called for unnecessary roughness on a 3rd down in which the Saints defense stopped the fullback short of the 3rd down on a checkdown pass.

It was noticeably different after Richburg went out. The Saints obviously blitzed more,  but that is largely because it was much more effective with all the pressure being generated up the middle. 

The sack was generated through a blitz, I'm pretty sure (believe that was Davis?), and there was some  pressure from Davenport. The big sack toward the end of the game was generated from a free runner safety blitz from Vonn Bell. The Mario Edwards sack actually came against our tackle, Mike McGlinchey and was not on the interior (even though the flow of the play made it seem like it did). 

After Richburg went out, the 49ers had 5 drives that resulted in 2 TD's (one of them was following the fumble though, so that doesn't really count), 2 Fg's and a punt. He was sacked twice (neither on the interior as they were the ones mentioned above) and then the saints had the one called back, which again, I believe was blitz based, though I admit  I do have to check on that when the game is up. 2 of those drives were 10+ plays (though as you mentioned, there was some penalty help there). The one thing that was noticeable was the big plays from the first half evaporated in the second. But that occurs for a myriad of reasons and I don't think that any one can directly attribute them to the injury. A, The Saints blitzed more. B) Secondary adjustments (we targeted Apple a lot less coming into the second half for some reason), C) The offense playing more or less in line with how they normally would (deep passes are very rare in this offense - its a passing offense predicated on RAC, not air yards). I didn't think that the injury caused a significant shift in how the offense operated at all. 

Is Garland / Brunskill as good as Richburg? No, and I'm not going to pretend that they are. Are there any 49ers fans on this forum that are overly concerned about this injury at this exact point in time? Not that I am aware. We all thought Garland did fine. Not great, but we can work with what he showed yesterday.