Broncos place DE Derek Wolfe on IR

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

He was having a great season so it's too bad in that sense, but it's more important for the Broncos to evaluate DeMarcus Walker and Dre'Mont Jones at this stage. 

Never want to see a guy get hurt - but seeing how Walker / Jones do will really factor in whether or not Wolfe returns.

As much as Wolfe's been a warrior, and gave us a discount to stay last time, his play hasn't really warranted 8-figure salaries - the jump to an inside disruptor never reallly happened.  Definite glue guy, and total locker room massive plus - but paying a guy on his 3rd contract is almost always a bad proposition.   Frankly, the Broncos would have to get a massive discount to consider it.   It sucks to say it, but that's the reality of the business side of things.    Either way, though, he's done enough this year to get paid by someone else, wish him well if this was his last game, he can always point to 2015, and going out on a high note.

37 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Never want to see a guy get hurt - but seeing how Walker / Jones do will really factor in whether or not Wolfe returns.

As much as Wolfe's been a warrior, and gave us a discount to stay last time, his play hasn't really warranted 8-figure salaries - the jump to an inside disruptor never reallly happened.  Definite glue guy, and total locker room massive plus - but paying a guy on his 3rd contract is almost always a bad proposition.   Frankly, the Broncos would have to get a massive discount to consider it.   It sucks to say it, but that's the reality of the business side of things.    Either way, though, he's done enough this year to get paid by someone else, wish him well if this was his last game, he can always point to 2015, and going out on a high note.

From what I understand he wants to finish his career here and work in local media, where he has made inroads. There is a sizable portion of the local fanbase, blue-collar, dyed in wool, orange and blue die- hards, (who aren’t active on social media) for whom he is a voice. Even Ellis recognizes what he means to that portion of the fanbase and thus I think every effort will be made to retain him. 

To sound callous as hell, the injury helps us keep him at a team-friendly price; the interest in Wolfe finishing his career as a Bronco is mutually beneficial. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

One of my all time favorite Broncos. And I say that after originally not liking the pick. He’s been nothing but a warrior and has balled out ever since. Hope to see him back on the field next year. 

I could understand why you didn't like it at the time. He was seen as a reach. Big Al and D-Crap were not very impressed with the pick on their radio show when he was taken (If I could have done it again, I would have taken LT Cordy Glenn and LaVonte David in the second round with Wolfe in the third instead of Hillman).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

From what I understand he wants to finish his career here and work in local media, where he has made inroads. There is a sizable portion of the local fanbase, blue-collar, dyed in wool, orange and blue die- hards, (who aren’t active on social media) for whom he is a voice. Even Ellis recognizes what he means to that portion of the fanbase and thus I think every effort will be made to retain him. 

To sound callous as hell, the injury helps us keep him at a team-friendly price; the interest in Wolfe finishing his career as a Bronco is mutually beneficial. 

You find a way to keep that guy. Sends a great message to the team, plus he's been really good on the field this year. 

Both sides want a deal and I, like you, believe they'll get it done in a way that as you say is mutually beneficial.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I could understand why you didn't like it at the time. He was seen as a reach. Big Al and D-Crap were not very impressed with the pick on their radio show when he was taken (If I could have done it again, I would have taken LT Cordy Glenn and LaVonte David in the second round with Wolfe in the third instead of Hillman).

Hilarious because D-Bag, or D-crap as your justly call him :-) , hated, and I meant HATED, Josh Allen in the run up to the draft, wanting us to pick and advocating vociferously for that POS Baler Mayfield,  and then when I tuned in the other day he literally says, “they should have drafted Josh Allen instead of Bradley Chubb.”

And some on this forum, who shall remain nameless, point to him as an authority. For what it’s worth, D-Bag/D-Crap also hates Lock, meaning he will probably be a Hall of Famer. 

Boston native Patriots fans who get fired from hard rock stations and carve out a niche trying to be Skip Bayless wannabes are not even worth their entertainment value. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Hilarious because D-Bag, or D-crap as your justly call him :-) , hated, and I meant HATED, Josh Allen in the run up to the draft, wanting us to pick and advocating vociferously for that POS Baler Mayfield,  and then when I tuned in the other day he literally says, “they should have drafted Josh Allen instead of Bradley Chubb.”

And some on this forum, who shall remain nameless, point to him as an authority. For what it’s worth, D-Bag/D-Crap also hates Lock, meaning he will probably be a Hall of Famer. 

Boston native Patriots fans who get fired from hard rock stations and carve out a niche trying to be Skip Bayless wannabes are not even worth their entertainment value. 

I wasn't too high on Allen, either (I wanted Darnold or Rosen, but was happy with Bradley as the pick).

To be fair, though, I am not sure if D-Crap was low on Wolfe. I just don't think that him and Al (and the others that were there) knew much about him (I hadn't heard of him either until the pick was announced). I think that Al was disappointed, though, because he wanted Clemson DT Brandon Thompson (out of NFL. Not a very good career) or Miami RB Lamar Miller (with Texans. On IR. Decent career, but not a great back).

Another thing from that draft: Nate Lundy's scathing comments about the Osweiler pick. I will never forget his disdain for Oz.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

1 minute ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I wasn't too high on Allen, either (I wanted Darnold or Rosen, but was happy with Bradley as the pick).

To be fair, though, I am not sure if D-Crap was low on Wolfe. I just don't think that him and Al (and the others that were there) knew much about him (I hadn't heard of him either until the pick was announced). I think that Al was disappointed, though, because he wanted Clemson DT Brandon Thompson (out of NFL. Not a very good career) or Miami RB Lamar Miller (with Texans. On IR. Decent career, but not a great back).

Another thing from that draft: Nate Lundy's scathing comments about the Osweiler pick. I will never forget his disdain for it.

I was also on the side of not liking the Oz pick at the time. My thinking was, get a play-maker at a spot of need given that we just signed Peyton and had a short window. On that I was wrong as we don’t win SB50, or better said don’t get to SB50, without Oz, who deserves a special place in Broncos lore regardless of how his career post-2015 went. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Also, for what it’s worth, I said we should draft Josh Allen, having watched him closely as a MWC fan.

I wasn’t upset with the Chubb pick, I loved it, but I would have just as enthusiastically applauded the selection had it been Josh Allen. 

Me too. I went to college at Wyoming and continue to follow them. Allen is a once in a two or three generation talent in terms of athleticism and arm ability. His biggest knock from watching him play live, was his head scratching inconsistency. No joke, I’ve seen him thread a 45 yard rope between two defenders and land it on the money just to turn around and miss his next two passes on wide open slant routes. In fact, short to intermediate routes seemed to be what he struggled with the most in college which to me indicated a footwork issue. On long routes where he had to really set his feet and fire it, he always threw great. He’s really improved over the last two seasons though, and in hindsight I would have been just fine with it had we picked him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Especially in Denver, D-Bag is a correct assessment IMO

• Like 1