Around the NFL III - The NFLiest Yet

y2lamanaki

Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?

• Yes, be gone with them already.
    • No, I want see the Seahawks get beat down in the NFC West for years to come.
    • No, because then poor RudyZ might be stuck with them.
    • No, because I am a proud toothless member of the 12th Man which you all know means I became a fan in 2012. It's also the last year I took a shower, because my hygiene is lacking.

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I'm seeing this quite a bit and saw Niners fans wanting him as well. Is it because of how well he did as the HC? Because in terms of DVOA, the Raiders special teams has been mainly below average as of late. So just curious why he was so sought over? 

I think he's pretty well regarded as a coach. His career in Dallas carried some pretty competent / above average units. 

I thought he had a good chance to come just because I know he and Shanny know each other from previous stops. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think he's pretty well regarded as a coach. His career in Dallas carried some pretty competent / above average units. 

I thought he had a good chance to come just because I know he and Shanny know each other from previous stops. 

I mean the results are completely MEH though lol. Why not go sign the assistant STs coach from a top level unit like the Ravens? Or even the Seahawks? Go get someone linked to the top STs units, not no damn coach who is well respected but always leads his units to being average to below average. Didn't we have that in Hightower?????

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean the results are completely MEH though lol. Why not go sign the assistant STs coach from a top level unit like the Ravens? Or even the Seahawks? Go get someone linked to the top STs units, not no damn coach who is well respected but always leads his units to being average to below average. Didn't we have that in Hightower?????

He was there for five years and I believe put together a top 10 unit in three of those years. He also had top 10 units in Tampa and San Diego during brief stints. He's a guy that's had a lot of fairly consistent success. At worst he knows what he's doing, and that's a big get for any awful team with awful special teams last year. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

He was there for five years and I believe put together a top 10 unit in three of those years. He also had top 10 units in Tampa and San Diego during brief stints. He's a guy that's had a lot of fairly consistent success. At worst he knows what he's doing, and that's a big get for any awful team with awful special teams last year. 

Raiders ranks in STs per DVOA:

2021 - 21st

2020 - 13th

2019 - 25th

2018 - 22nd

He was only with the Raiders the last four years I believe. I'm sorry, but that's a terrible resume right there. Dude had ONE year of being average and three below average seasons. 

In Dallas his unit ranked 8th, 13th, 11th, 9th and 7th. Far better and above average every single season. But you cannot then have four seasons he had with the Raiders and be the best option out there.

Come on Kyle, figure this out please!!!! Go after the best STs coordinator in college and offer a big bag to get this done. 

The Ravens have ranked 1st, 2nd, 9th, 6th and 1st in the last five years. Clearly they have it figured out better than anyone else. Go get someone from that staff....PLEASE! 

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Raiders ranks in STs per DVOA:

2021 - 21st

2020 - 13th

2019 - 25th

2018 - 22nd

He was only with the Raiders the last four years I believe. I'm sorry, but that's a terrible resume right there. Dude had ONE year of being average and three below average seasons. 

In Dallas his unit ranked 8th, 13th, 11th, 9th and 7th. Far better and above average every single season. But you cannot then have four seasons he had with the Raiders and be the best option out there.

Come on Kyle, figure this out please!!!! Go after the best STs coordinator in college and offer a big bag to get this done. 

The Ravens have ranked 1st, 2nd, 9th, 6th and 1st in the last five years. Clearly they have it figured out better than anyone else. Go get someone from that staff....PLEASE! 

Those teams also weren't very good and some of it is simply a personnel issue. In 18/19, they were really undone by some poor punting and in 2019 some poor kicking. 2018 was just bad all the way around though. That team was awful. Being 22nd on that team would be an accomplishment, but it was mainly their return game, so I wouldn't credit him overly much. I don't really see anything wrong with what he has done historically. 

One of the reasons that Baltimore ranks so highly is the existence of Justin Tucker and Sam Koch. Tucker in particular gives them an insane advantage statistically (the gap between  Baltimore and #2 with regards to FG / Xp this season is the difference between #2 and #10 and he's consistently keeping them in the top 3 in this regard, which consistently boosts the overall dvoa of the team)

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Those teams also weren't very good and some of it is simply a personnel issue. In 18/19, they were really undone by some poor punting and in 2019 some poor kicking. 2018 was just bad all the way around though. That team was awful. Being 22nd on that team would be an accomplishment, but it was mainly their return game, so I wouldn't credit him overly much. I don't really see anything wrong with what he has done historically. 

One of the reasons that Baltimore ranks so highly is the existence of Justin Tucker and Sam Koch. Tucker in particular gives them an insane advantage statistically (the gap between  Baltimore and #2 with regards to FG / Xp is the difference between #2 and #10)

But how are the actual coverage units? Sure they have an all time kicker but their coverage units must be very good as well. 

NE has always been big on STs as well and I know they ranked high at least in 2019. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But how are the actual coverage units? Sure they have an all time kicker but their coverage units must be very good as well. 

NE has always been big on STs as well and I know they ranked high at least in 2019. 

2018 was pretty much a disaster, as you would expect. 

2019 they were solid in kick coverage, but really bad in punt coverage. I'm not sure the reasoning there because I don't know that there is enough data. Could be a byproduct of having a rookie punter. No idea. I tend to hover on crap coverage though...Cole wasn't awful (side note - hang time should be tracked), but their returns were. I can't say for sure that Cole wasn't just blasting line drives, but this seems likely to be a coverage issues to me. In 2020 they were pretty average in coverage of both. 

**edit**

Just realized you meant Baltimore. 

Well, Baltimore was bottom 10 in kickoff coverage this year. Top 10 in punt coverage. The problem is, you don't really know how to assign a value as I mentioned earlier. 

IN 2020 they were amazing at both, but in 2019 they were mediocre in kickoffs and one of the worst in football in punt coverage. In 2018 they were middle of the pack in kickoffs, bottom 10 in punt coverage. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

2018 was pretty much a disaster, as you would expect. 

2019 they were solid in kick coverage, but really bad in punt coverage. I'm not sure the reasoning there because I don't know that there is enough data. Could be a byproduct of having a rookie punter. No idea. I tend to hover on crap coverage though...Cole wasn't awful (side note - hang time should be tracked), but their returns were. I can't say for sure that Cole wasn't just blasting line drives, but this seems likely to be a coverage issues to me. In 2020 they were pretty average in coverage of both. 

No, referring to the Ravens coverage units.........

If i had to choose someone like Matt Daniels who has worked under Fassel the past three years would be on my list. Give me someone with some creativeness(never know if he has the same as his boss offcourse) over the plain ST we had under Hightower. 

Alltough i think a lot of our conservativeness on that side comes from Kyle.

Edited by Justone2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

If i had to choose someone like Matt Daniels who has worked under Fassel the past three years would be on my list. Give me someone with some creativeness(never know if he has the same as his boss offcourse) over the plain ST we had under Hightower. 

Alltough i think a lot of our conservativeness on that side comes from Kyle.

I feel like it's Kyle's thing to maybe try and take on up and comers as well. Wouldn't be at all shocked if we went that route of grabbing someone who hadn't done it before. I think Kyle takes a lot of pride in that stuff.