Week 14 GDT - New Orleans Saints vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

50 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Tartt needs to come back though, because Harris ain't cutting it. Maybe he gets more rest though, because it's Atlanta. 

Tartt has broken ribs. I don't think a week off is sufficient enough. Rather just be smart about it and see where he is the week heading into the Rams game. Those last two games will be playoff-like as the Rams are fighting to make the playoffs and we're still battling Seattle for home-field.

As a guy who backed Harris and his play against B-More, he was absolutely abysmal against the Saints. He just was not sound at all and did not tackle worth a damn. Alot of missed tackle yesterday from pretty much everyone in the back seven, which was very uncharacteristic. 

I'd be down to see how Moore and Ward look together. Though I feel the run defense will probably suffer and I'm absolutely worried about Ward getting injured, playing more in the box, yesterday was not acceptable pass defense. I know alot of it was Peyton and Brees but I alot of it was also missed assignments and bad technique. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Though I feel the run defense will probably suffer and I'm absolutely worried about Ward getting injured, playing more in the box, yesterday was not acceptable pass defense. I know alot of it was Peyton and Brees but I alot of it was also missed assignments and bad technique. 

On the bright side, its like the law of diminishing returns. It's kind of hard for the run defense to be much worse (considering the players we have in the front 7) 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Thats a big risk to take when you need them to secure the bye. If they can play, they are playing. No doubt in my mind with regards to that. Sherman probably won't be able to though with that kind of injury. 

Every time Ford plays, he leaves the game with a hamstring injury. Sit him for two weeks and let him heal more than he normally would, then let him play week 17. Assuming this isn't a serious injury. 

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

LOL Stephen A still not that impressed. 

Didn't watch the entire video, just the open, but I don't have a major issue with what he is saying. Gave him credit for a great game, gave him credit for a very good season. He's just not going to crown him as something great yet, which I don't have a problem with. 

Honestly, my bigger complaint is the host acting like the Saints got jobbed by officiating. They did not get jobbed. The biggest calls were called correctly. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Every time Ford plays, he leaves the game with a hamstring injury. Sit him for two weeks and let him heal more than he normally would, then let him play week 17. Assuming this isn't a serious injury. 

He had 2 weeks off prior to this game and still left lol. Doesn't seem like this is something that is going to heal over a week, 2 weeks, etc. He probably just needs the off season. This has been going on since training camp. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

He had 2 weeks off prior to this game and still left lol. Doesn't seem like this is something that is going to heal over a week, 2 weeks, etc. He probably just needs the off season. This has been going on since training camp. 

Honestly 2 weeks is a really short time for a hamstring to heal. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Didn't watch the entire video, just the open, but I don't have a major issue with what he is saying. Gave him credit for a great game, gave him credit for a very good season. He's just not going to crown him as something great yet, which I don't have a problem with. 

Honestly, my bigger complaint is the host asking like the Saints got jobbed by officiating. They did not get jobbed. The biggest calls were called correctly. 

I don't think it's too much to say at this point that he's a good quarterback though. Smith is individualizing games when he plays well as an aberration, when in reality he is playing well in most of the games. Also, and this is my biggest gripe with his analysis, he's essentially detracting from Jimmy's accomplishments due to having quality players and a quality head coach. So, Jimmy isn't really playing well, because he has "help". With that kind of logic, it's like saying Montana was overrated due to having a great coaching staff, great players on offense, and a great defense most of his career. It just sets a nutty precedent where you'd have to go back in NFL history and essentially mark down every QB that was on a good team. And then I guess guys that didn't have help like Archie Manning were better than they actually were. Stephen A is essentially shifting the goal posts, because his pride is getting in the way of his objectivity. 

Edited by PapaShogun

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

So, have him play through it on less rest or try the two-week break again and see where he is? I think I'd go the 2-week break route.

It's one of these two, shut him down for 3 weeks, or put him on IR.

Edited by NinerNation21

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

So, have him play through it on less rest or try the two-week break again and see where he is? I think I'd go the 2-week break route.

It's one of these two, shut him down for 3 weeks, or put him on IR.

I mean, if he can go, he will. I have no doubt about that. Is that the right call? I don't know. I mean, its not going to get better this year, I think. Is there a risk associated with playing him through that and potentially exacerbating it further? Absolutely. But he's been playing through this issue all year, and at times has been very successful playing through it in his limited snaps. 

I don't know...it's just kind of a random grab bag of what to do / what results you get / etc 

23 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly 2 weeks is a really short time for a hamstring to heal. 

That's why I Think he just needs the off season. I don't think that it'll get better at all this year, and these guys want to be out there. They want to compete. Sometimes its hard to keep them off the field. 

My guess is that at this point in time, they will take it week by week. If he can go, he will, and if he can't, he won't. But I don't think that there's any other real long term plan going on with this situation. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

LOL Stephen A still not that impressed. 

I find it hilarious haha. Like does he realize how hard it is to going NO and win? let alone put up the numbers that Jimmy did? Also I get that he has KS as his coach but having a good coach is half the battle for most players. Also, don't start saying that the NO def is bad when up until yesterday everyone was talking about just how good their def is/was. Kyle said hold my beer!

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's why I Think he just needs the off season. I don't think that it'll get better at all this year, and these guys want to be out there. They want to compete. Sometimes its hard to keep them off the field. 

My guess is that at this point in time, they will take it week by week. If he can go, he will, and if he can't, he won't. But I don't think that there's any other real long term plan going on with this situation. 

Yeah sure for a guy that needs the explosiveness a hamstring has a high chance of keep getting injured. He probably will play if it isn't too bad but for him to be 100% he really needs to have more time off which there simply is no room for.

• Like 1