Week 14 GDT - New Orleans Saints vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

8 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Getting guys healthy would be my first priority over securing a bye

Get what you're saying here, but history says that this would be a bad idea. Over 80% of your super bowl participants come from the teams with a first round bye since the current playoff format started. 46 / 58.

Teams that play a home game on wild card weekend have an 8% chance of reaching the super bowl (9/116), whereas if you play on the road in wild card weekend, you have less than 3% of making it (3/116). 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Forge said:

And Person is still a competent guard, for all his warts. He's fine. Can you upgrade? Sure. Can you do much worse? For sure.  I don't know why this is an issue for Brunskill, especially when that was the original intention. They obviously saw enough there to like him. 

The thought on Brunskill was originally guard, and I'd argue that a center has to do less heavy lifting in that regard than guard, and he did line up at center in camp, so the team obviously thought about it. He will match up every now and again from that position, but will do so far less than a guard.

None of our interior line drive blocks particularly well except for Tomlinson. That's why we can struggle in short yardage. That's actually very common for most ZBS teams because they tend to go with lighter offensive linemen. 

When was he a guard?? He was a walk-on TE in college and eventually morphed into into a RT. He didn't play guard in the AAF, to my knowledge. So did he actually play meaniful football lined-up inside or was there some report from OTAs saying he took snaps there, because that's totally different. We tend to move ppl around in the off-season just to see how they look in certain positions. But I wouldn't say that proves he's capable of playing effectly along the interior. I don't recall him playing inside during pre-season but I could be wrong there. 

Edited by 757-NINER

4 hours ago, Forge said:

The last time I heard from him, I thought his comments were fair (just that Jimmy basically wasn't the straw that stirred the drink if this team). Curious if Ryan Clark still thinks the 49ers would still be in the same position with Mason Rudolph though 😂😂

All Stephen does is either look at box scores or watch highlight clips. At least with some of the takes I heard him say, it seemed like he didn't have context for some of the criticism he had.

I was actually watching the game then we got down 21-7. Like I've done this whole year when we start to lose during a game, I turn it off and strictly keep up with it on twitter. 

I was outside doing yardwork during the last drive when we won, I didn't know how to react. I ran inside to tell my wife and went back to doing yardwork.

9 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was actually watching the game then we got down 21-7. Like I've done this whole year when we start to lose during a game, I turn it off and strictly keep up with it on twitter. 

I was outside doing yardwork during the last drive when we won, I didn't know how to react. I ran inside to tell my wife and went back to doing yardwork.

21-7 isn't insurmountable for our team that early on. Breaks my heart to hear you bounce like that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

21-7 isn't insurmountable for our team that early on. Breaks my heart to hear you bounce like that.

Meh, different ppl have different rituals or things they do when they feel they're team isn't playing good. I have little quirky superstitions that I do during the game or have been doing throughout the season leading up to the game that I feel makes a difference. Though in reality, it has no real indicator of our on-field success but in my mind, it makes total sense lol. So I see where he's coming from...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, different ppl have different rituals or things they do when they feel they're team isn't playing good. I have little quirky superstitions that I do during the game or have been doing throughout the season leading up to the game that I feel makes a difference. In though in reality, it has no real indicator of our on-field success but in my mind, it makes total sense lol. So I see where he's coming from...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

lol. Technically I didn't bounce. I still kept up with the game. like 757 said, its been my ritual all year long when we start to lose, I jump over to twitter.

Thoughts from the Game

• Jimmy G looked elite and is continuing to put together a Pro Bowl-type season. His passes were on point and he lead a great game-winning drive. 

• George Kittle shows on a weekly basis that he is the catalyst of the offense and the lifeblood of the team. I'm constantly in awe of him.

• Kendrick Bourne deserves a ton of praise. Not just for his performance yesterday, but really for the entire season. Yes, the Seahawks game was bad, but outside of that game, he's been extremely reliable. This season, 25 of his 27 catches have either resulted in a 1st down or a TD. This just moves the chains or hauls in TDs.

• Raheem Mostert is now 2nd in the NFL in YPC at 6.0. He's only behind Lamar Jackson, which makes him #1 among all RBs this season. Mostert is continuing to come up with chunk plays each week and is pushing Coleman further down the depth chart. 

• I thought Ben Garland filled in pretty well and I'm interested to see what he can do for the rest of the season. If he plays well, that takes C/G off of the needs list for the draft or at least pushes it down the list.

• Manny Sanders is exactly what this team needed. Several weeks ago when I was a guest on Y2 and Forge's podcast (If you haven't listened to the pod yet, shame on you, here's the latest episode), I said that Sanders wasn't needed because he's pretty similar to Samuel. I was flat out wrong, we needed him and I'm so happy he's on the 49ers. This dude is a leader on the offense and makes big plays almost weekly. I also feel like Samuel's play has improved after Sanders came on board.

• Shanahan called a masterful game, with the exception of one notable play. While the 49ers were trying to burn clock toward the end of the game, he called a bone-headed play-action pass rather than a run play on 2 & 5. Instead of a very manageable 3rd down, it turned into a 3rd and long, which allowed Brees to have the ball back with 2:30 left on the clock. That one play made it much harder to win the than it needed to be.

• Gould has given me a little more reason to start to trust him again. I feel like he's getting past his early season demons and is becoming more consistent. We absolutely NEED him if the 49ers want to make it to the Super Bowl. 

• The defense was trash. But playing in the dome, against Brees, against Peyton, and down a few key guys, doesn't make me think this defense isn't one of the best in the NFL. It absolutely still is and things will still be fine. 

• Props to Juscyzk for taking two nasty hits on two key plays. Without them, the 49ers might've lost this game. He's been worth every cent of his contract this season.

• Bosa didn't get home often, but he was still making impact plays. He made Armstead look like a practice squad guy. Even when he's not getting to the QB, he's still disrupting plays. This is a sign of a truly elite EDGE rusher. 
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

When was he a guard?? He was a walk-on TE in college and eventually morphed into into a RT. He didn't play guard in the AAF, to my knowledge. So did he actually play meaniful football lined-up inside or was there some report from OTAs saying he took snaps there, because that's totally different. We tend to move ppl around in the off-season just to see how they look in certain positions. But I wouldn't say that proves he's capable of playing effectly along the interior. I don't recall him playing inside during pre-season but I could be wrong there. 

He was on the interior all preseason, which included time in game at center. I know for sure against the chargers, would have to check the others. Lis, he didn't make this roster as a tackle, I'm pretty sure, but rather as an interior guy who could play everywhere, as @N4L said

• Like 1