An Early Look at 2020 Free Agency

Brit Pack

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think you have to gamble and let him go .. too much dough for a guy with his injury history.  Just ink Veldheer for way cheaper and then draft a good young prospect in the first few rounds.

Veldheer is older than Bulaga, and has arthritic hips (I could be wrong on this, but I think hips are why he retired). He won't last a whole season. Your strategy would require using #1 pick for a T. That would be...disappointing with so many good WRs. Maybe Gute is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat, though. I can hardly wait to see how it all breaks out!

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Veldheer is older than Bulaga, and has arthritic hips (I could be wrong on this, but I think hips are why he retired). He won't last a whole season. Your strategy would require using #1 pick for a T. That would be...disappointing with so many good WRs. Maybe Gute is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat, though. I can hardly wait to see how it all breaks out!

No it wouldn't require a 1st round OT .. you can find quality tackles outside of round one.  The Packers have done it several times before.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

No it wouldn't require a 1st round OT .. you can find quality tackles outside of round one.  The Packers have done it several times before.

Literally 90% of people here didn't want us to extend Bakhtiari since everyone here thought he was just okay.  The later in the draft, the longer it takes to develop (exceptions apply obviously). 

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Literally 90% of people here didn't want us to extend Bakhtiari since everyone here thought he was just okay.  The later in the draft, the longer it takes to develop (exceptions apply obviously). 

This statement is 100% true, but at 30 all the first round grade T's are likely to be gone. Austin Jackson might be there and close to a 1st round grade. Seeing him in the bowl game against Iowa, I don't think he's ready in his rookie year. 

Just now, Golfman said:

This statement is 100% true, but at 30 all the first round grade T's are likely to be gone. Austin Jackson might be there and close to a 1st round grade. Seeing him in the bowl game against Iowa, I don't think he's ready in his rookie year. 

Bulaga was supposed to be a top 10 pick his year if I’m not mistaken.  

There are probably 30 top ten talents in this draft it feels like.  Someone’s gonna be there.  Could be OT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Are there any good younger FA tackles available?  Maybe Gute will try for one of those guys if he likes one.  The only one I'm even remotely familiar with is Conklin.

Not really. The only guy who might be worth a punt is Dennis Kelly who played last season in Tennessee. He had 4 starts and pff rating of 69.3. He has never been a starter but has been around the league for a while, he is 30 now. MLF will be familiar with him.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Bulaga was supposed to be a top 10 pick his year if I’m not mistaken.  

There are probably 30 top ten talents in this draft it feels like.  Someone’s gonna be there.  Could be OT.

You are correct, I believe on Kiper's board he was the 6th ranked player if memory serves me correctly. 

You are right there could be an offensive tackle there at 30, but it seems there are a lot of teams in front of us who are fairly desperate for one too. Now a few of those may 'solve' that in free agency. It's too early to make a definitive statement either way. 

7 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You are correct, I believe on Kiper's board he was the 6th ranked player if memory serves me correctly. 

You are right there could be an offensive tackle there at 30, but it seems there are a lot of teams in front of us who are fairly desperate for one too. Now a few of those may 'solve' that in free agency. It's too early to make a definitive statement either way. 

I hoping that Josh Jones will be there at 30. He looked real good at the Senior Bowl 

17 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Are there any good younger FA tackles available?  Maybe Gute will try for one of those guys if he likes one.  The only one I'm even remotely familiar with is Conklin.

Conklin might get tagged.