An Early Look at 2020 Free Agency

Brit Pack

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I watched the Packers-Panthers game last night with an eye on DL Gerald McCoy. Dude made some plays, both in the run game and in the pass game.
He would have had a sack for a Safety but the Refs ruled ( incorrectly) that he landed on AR. Then at the end of the first half, the Packers went for it from the 2 yard line with 2 seconds left, eschewing the gimme FG. GB tried a hand-off and Gerald McCoy beat Bakh inside for a stuff and a 3 yard loss....end of half.

I think he'd fit what GB is after on the DL and his cost will be below the top tier DLs in FA

He's a little long in the tooth at 32, but you have to figure the Packers brass saw him making some plays that day.  He'd make some sense if the money is right.

22 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I have not. However, I do have a buddy who is a Bills fan and this is what he told me when I asked "Phillips is a very energetic player but a good portion of his sacks didnt come from him beating his guy and getting to the QB rather then right place, Right time when a quarterback took off and practically ran into him. The sack total is inflated. For a big hes not the guy you want in there to stop the run. Downhill is not his strong suit period."

He then basically went on to say $9-10 mil a year would be too rich for them. Everything he said pretty much lines up, the pressure rate and sack total flat out isnt sustainable. Not to mention, he's doing a fine job on twitter of trying to convince everyone hes a top 3 DT based off last years stats. I think he's the type of Free Agent who is gonna price himself out of the market and be waiting awhile fir reality to set in for him or find one team willing to be a sucker and buy into his sack total. 

I will say that he did say Phillips seemed to be a great teammate and really provided a level of energy to their DL and teammates. 

Hard pass then...

I like seeing Kirksey added to the ILB's in free agency.  Whitehead out there, too.

The more guys there are at a position, the more likely it is that someone doesn't get paid what they think they are worth.

Now we need more WR's to be added to free agency.

I think the Packers should go after Nick Kwiatkoski to fill that middle backer role.  I think that kid can play and would be an upgrade over Martinez, plus he may be much cheaper.  I don't want to spend a high pick on Queen or Murray to fill that role .. just not sold that either of those guys would make the impact to justify the high pick.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers should go after Nick Kwiatkoski to fill that middle backer role.  I think that kid can play and would be an upgrade over Martinez, plus he may be much cheaper.  I don't want to spend a high pick on Queen or Murray to fill that role .. just not sold that either of those guys would make the impact to justify the high pick.

What do you see in Kwitkoski that makes you feel that he would be an upgrade to Martinez?

To me, he's tough to evaluate due to the nature and make up of that Chicago defense.

About the best thing I can say about Kwitkoski is that he may be just like Blake but cost a little less on the open market.

42 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

What do you see in Kwitkoski that makes you feel that he would be an upgrade to Martinez?

To me, he's tough to evaluate due to the nature and make up of that Chicago defense.

About the best thing I can say about Kwitkoski is that he may be just like Blake but cost a little less on the open market.

He can cover better for sure .. gets deeper in his drops and just seems to have a better feel for that part of the game.

What sucks is the minute we sign Kwiatkoski he gets 5 MPH slower.  Same with Littleton.  The reason is twofold:

1. They’re only faster when you don’t watch them.

2. Packers pads weigh 30 pounds more than league average.

I know science is crazy sometimes, but it’s the only way to explain how players who test nearly identically are so much faster on other teams.  The eye test is reality.  Trust me, my uncle is an eye doctor.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I like seeing Kirksey added to the ILB's in free agency.  Whitehead out there, too.

The more guys there are at a position, the more likely it is that someone doesn't get paid what they think they are worth.

Now we need more WR's to be added to free agency.

Kirksey had a PFF score of 48.3; hence the reason he was released nevermind his contract numbers as well. Same with Whitehead only his score was a bit higher.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

49 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He can cover better for sure .. gets deeper in his drops and just seems to have a better feel for that part of the game.

Kwiatkoski was recruited as a Safety and moved to ILB at WVU. If the cap allows us, we should pursue him. Littleton will be out of our price range. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Can he, though?  Bears play a lot of zone.  And had a very disruptive DL in front of him.

I have to feel like Martinez would look better in that Bear scheme than he did in our scheme.

That's why I feel like if Kwik comes over...the best case scenario is that he looks like Blake, and maybe costs a little bit less.

Now...get another quality DL on the GB line?  That's where he can look better...as would Blake...etc.

I'm really not sold on the idea that any ILB in free agency is going to look better than Blake did last year unless more talent is added to the DL.

• Like 1

Kwiatkoski is a big hitter and he's average, if not below average, in coverage. I think Martinez might be the slightly better player, but Kwiatkoski did ascend after Trevathan was lost for the year. A lot of us anticipate him getting in the 6-8M a year range if he does hit free agency.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I didn't think it was ever realistic to think Bulaga would be stuck down around 10m. 12-14 is still a fine price for him. I'd pay up to that anyways, we'll be worse without him and a better 2nd WR. Bet.

I think you have to gamble and let him go .. too much dough for a guy with his injury history.  Just ink Veldheer for way cheaper and then draft a good young prospect in the first few rounds.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Kwiatkoski is a big hitter and he's average, if not below average, in coverage. I think Martinez might be the slightly better player, but Kwiatkoski did ascend after Trevathan was lost for the year. A lot of us anticipate him getting in the 6-8M a year range if he does hit free agency.

Martinez is supposed to command around 10 mil per, and he can't cover worth a lick.  I actually think Kwiatkowski is a better player, but I'm sure it's debatable.