Week 15: VIKINGS (9-4) at Chargers (5-8)

swede700

All eight of the Chargers’ losses this season are by seven points are less, while they’ve won multiple games by big margins: In addition to beating the Jaguars by 35, the Chargers also beat the Dolphins by 20 and beat the Packers by 15.

In total, the Chargers have outscored their opponents 289-251 over the course of the season. Their +38 point differential is far better than normal for a 5-8 team. It’s the 12th-best point differential in the NFL, something we’d expect to see for a playoff team. It’s a better point differential than the 10-3 Seahawks, 8-5 Steelers and 8-5 Texans have.

Does all this matter? It does, when assessing where the Chargers are and where they’re likely to be going forward. A team’s point differential is a better reflection of its overall quality, and a better predictor of how it will play in the future, than its won-loss record. The Chargers are a better team than their 5-8 record suggests, and they’re more likely to rebound in 2020 and have a winning record.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/09/blowout-wins-close-losses-show-chargers-are-better-than-their-record/

• Like 1

This game scares me for a couple of reasons

1. The Chargers haven't lost a game this season by more than 7 points this season and have the expected win/loss of about an 8-5 team, thus far. I remember before the game at Detroit every agreed the game would be tough because the Lions were better than their record of 2-2-1 at the time, but this is most assuredly the team that is WAY better than their record would indicate.
  2. This screams trap game. Coming off a good, divisional win and the biggest game of the season against Green Bay looms on Monday night.

Also interesting statistic I believe I have uncovered: I don't think the Vikings have ever beaten the Chargers on the road. Granted, all of those games were in San Diego.

Edit:

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

All eight of the Chargers’ losses this season are by seven points are less, while they’ve won multiple games by big margins: In addition to beating the Jaguars by 35, the Chargers also beat the Dolphins by 20 and beat the Packers by 15.

In total, the Chargers have outscored their opponents 289-251 over the course of the season. Their +38 point differential is far better than normal for a 5-8 team. It’s the 12th-best point differential in the NFL, something we’d expect to see for a playoff team. It’s a better point differential than the 10-3 Seahawks, 8-5 Steelers and 8-5 Texans have.

Does all this matter? It does, when assessing where the Chargers are and where they’re likely to be going forward. A team’s point differential is a better reflection of its overall quality, and a better predictor of how it will play in the future, than its won-loss record. The Chargers are a better team than their 5-8 record suggests, and they’re more likely to rebound in 2020 and have a winning record.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/09/blowout-wins-close-losses-show-chargers-are-better-than-their-record/

Bang on. Brett Kollmann likened them to the 2018 Vikings in his preseason predictions, saying they had all the talent but would disappoint. Mostly due to the injury to Derwin James, who is easily the key to their defense that allows them to run the schemes they employ.

Edited by Nozizaki
Save a double post

The Vikings did win at San Diego in the Dan Fouts days, back in '81.  What's more interesting though is that this will only be the 5th game ever on the road vs. the Chargers (out of what will be 13 games).  And in those previous 12 games, they've split 6-6  with no team ever winning 2 in a row.  It's always been L-W-L-W...etc.  Hopefully that streak will be broken, as the Vikings won the last matchup in 2015.

Edited by swede700

I'm hoping the Chargers players have packed it in for the season and most of them have checked out mentally. 

Our pass rush combined with Phillip Rivers' lack of mobility and recent propensity to throw INTs should give us a chance to make this a convincing win. 

Vikings - 28
Chargers - 13

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I'm hoping the Chargers players have packed it in for the season and most of them have checked out mentally. 

Our pass rush combined with Phillip Rivers' lack of mobility and recent propensity to throw INTs should give us a chance to make this a convincing win. 

Vikings - 28
Chargers - 13

Based on their win last week, I don’t think you should count on them packing it in.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Based on their win last week, I don’t think you should count on them packing it in.

One thing that could help is if a lot of Vikings fans show up in the Chargers' 'semi-home" stadium.  You are probably right about them not packing it in for the year, but a guy can dream anyway.  :)

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

One thing that could help is if a lot of Vikings fans show up in the Chargers' 'semi-home" stadium.  You are probably right about them not packing it in for the year, but a guy can dream anyway.  :)

I’m more concerned about the Chargers game than the Packers or Bears to be honest. I still don’t trust a Zimmer team to respond well in less than ideal circumstances. A later game on the west coast, guess will see how well prepared they are to show up. 

I expect a close game. the defense will need to force Rivers into turning the ball over. If he plays efficient and doesn’t turn the ball over, the Vikes probably lose.

• Like 1

Chargers are definitely an unpredictable team. I expect Zimmer to harp on that all week.  Letting the team know how close they are to a division title (I personally believe that Green Bay will lose your Chicago this Sunday. Chicago is sneaky right now). 

29 - 13 Vikings win.  

Edited by Torchezim
  • Like 1

As the Chargers fight for the hearts and minds of the fans in the LA market they might be wise to do their part to keep the Rams out of the playoffs. The best thing they can do towards that goal is laying down for the Vikings this week.

Fortunately, high level competitors do not think like that. It will be a good game.

With purple shades: 24-17 Vikings win

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Torchezim said:

Chargers are definitely an unpredictable team. I expect Zimmer to harp on that all week.  Letting the team know how close they are to a division title (I personally believe that Green Bay will lose your Chicago this Sunday. Chicago is sneaky right now). 

29 - 13 Vikings win.  

Honestly Chicago winning makes me almost more worried in a way right now. Them winning and us losing really puts us in a bad spot. Playing at home, but against a hot team. But more than likely Packers will just pack it in week 17.