Tom Brady is Not the Problem

BayRaider

1 minute ago, lolsurebro said:

On the contrary, I have seen that Brady averages 2-2.5 seconds before protection breaks down and he has to throw.

Someone on Reddit did a breakdown of every pass from a recent (Texans?) game and found that Brady whiffed 3 that he was responsible for. One missed opportunity where he wasn't looking at an open option (though I can't remember who it was. I wanna say Doresett?) and the rest was essentially on the receiving corp in some fashion.

A lot of the blame falls on McDaniels as well. Something that a lot of playcaller-fans are starting to point out and explain. Recent press conference he essentially admits to not scheming things for Harry.

Agreed on utilizing Harry more. Though I don’t blame either Brady or JMD for that too much as he's new and just returned. But the offense struggled before all that.

In terms of the time to throw. He’s had more in recent games. The next gen graphic they pulled up against the Chiefs said since Wynn has returned he’s averaged something like 3.2 seconds or something like that.

I never said he was the biggest problem. But he’s definitely apart of the problem IMO. He’s not displaying the pocket toughness to get hit if it means a big play comes... as you see with the younger QBs. That would give him an additional half second to throw. He gets it out before that and thus the options opening up at 3-3.5 seconds aren’t getting targets because the ball is already thrown into the ground or out of bounds.

I know I have hate blinders on, but this is what I’ve seen. 🤷🏽‍♀️ 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

Lol now I see how you’d respond if someone criticizes your QB 

If youre going to attack almost every QB in the league, better be ready to defend yours.  

Your argument would’ve been more sound without the middle school insults

If you honest to God think Jarrett Stidham, a guy that had to be pulled in garbage time because he threw a pick six, is an upgrade over Tom brady, then you are indeed mentally ill.

5 hours ago, Malik said:

Brady's definitely part of the problem even though he's not the problem. There are maybe a half dozen QBs you could switch into that Patriots offense that would perform better than Tom has played this season. People are being a tad hyperbolic about the lack of talent on offense. There's maybe 1/4 of the league that was worst options.

How is he part of the problem? I keep asking and no one seems to be able to answer. What should he do differently?

And the idea there are 8 worse offensive groupings in the league is laughable. They have non-entities at TE (23 TE catches all year), a terrible run game, are starting a third string center and have no dynamic players at WR. They have no speed. Do you know why they keep using trick plays to score? Because they're WRs just can't get open otherwise. Nobody but Edelman can win 1v1, and he's always doubled.

As someone who has watched every offensive snap of every game this year, I can see Brady avoiding sacks and throwing passes that the receivers are either dropping, or missing.

Brady was the same player at the start of the season, when Gordon (and then Brown) were on the roster and Dorsett was relegated to a fourth string guy. Guys got open, he hit them.

James White is solid player, with a big-game mentality, but if he's the most dynamic offensive weapon on your roster...then you have a problem.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Agreed on utilizing Harry more. Though I don’t blame either Brady or JMD for that too much as he's new and just returned. But the offense struggled before all that.

In terms of the time to throw. He’s had more in recent games. The next gen graphic they pulled up against the Chiefs said since Wynn has returned he’s averaged something like 3.2 seconds or something like that.

I never said he was the biggest problem. But he’s definitely apart of the problem IMO. He’s not displaying the pocket toughness to get hit if it means a big play comes... as you see with the younger QBs. That would give him an additional half second to throw. He gets it out before that and thus the options opening up at 3-3.5 seconds aren’t getting targets because the ball is already thrown into the ground or out of bounds.

I know I have hate blinders on, but this is what I’ve seen. 🤷🏽‍♀️ 🤷‍♂️ 

Wynn being back over Newhouse was a needed improvement. Likely why it was a talking point at the time.

I will admit that as a Patriots-Belichick fan, first and foremost, that I am not seeing much fire in Tom at this point in the season. I don't think that's because of mental deterioration or that he is physically breaking down as much as it's broadcasted and implied. He just doesn't trust the receivers. The Patriots offense has always operated as a system. This is why there is emphasis on "do your job" because if you do your job, you aren't relying on talent, but discipline. Of course, talent helps too, but that's the idea as I understand it.

Tom is justifiably frustrated. McDaniels isn't scheming to our strengths, receivers aren't doing their job and getting open, or running correct routes. If it was me -- and this is entirely my opinion -- and I was 42 years old and this frustrated with everything, I wouldn't be taking many hits for my team either. Why bother if they don't seem to care to get it right?

Edited by lolsurebro

28 minutes ago, Elky said:

If you honest to God think Jarrett Stidham, a guy that had to be pulled in garbage time because he threw a pick six, is an upgrade over Tom brady, then you are indeed mentally ill.

Take it easy killer. TB12 is my all time fav football player. 

But just like you can dish it, be ready to receive it about your QB. just lighten up on the insults. It’s a forum 

1 hour ago, lolsurebro said:

Wynn being back over Newhouse was a needed improvement. Likely why it was a talking point at the time.

I will admit that as a Patriots-Belichick fan, first and foremost, that I am not seeing much fire in Tom at this point in the season. I don't think that's because of mental deterioration or that he is physically breaking down as much as it's broadcasted and implied. He just doesn't trust the receivers. The Patriots offense has always operated as a system. This is why there is emphasis on "do your job" because if you do your job, you aren't relying on talent, but discipline. Of course, talent helps too, but that's the idea as I understand it.

Tom is justifiably frustrated. McDaniels isn't scheming to our strengths, receivers aren't doing their job and getting open, or running correct routes. If it was me -- and this is entirely my opinion -- and I was 42 years old and this frustrated with everything, I wouldn't be taking many hits for my team either. Why bother if they don't seem to care to get it right?

Though from McDaniels perspective I think it’s fair to say... he has these WRs and have to scheme to their strengths as well. He can only do so much. Which is why I think Tom is part of the problem. If he displayed more pocket grit that he used to have a bit more of a few years ago, I don’t think he’s as frustrated because the offense would perform better. Makes sense in the beginning of the season when you could ride an elite defense. But it makes a lot less sense when you’ve got the line to buy you the time. We all thought he would improve with Wynn but he’s still making similar rushed passes as before. Which I compare to Baker Mayfield early in the season when he was rushing passes even when he had the time. Now obviously Tom isn’t Baker, but I’ve seen Tom in a clean enough pocket on a few throws seem to throw it into the dirt or out of bounds before he had to. Almost as if he told himself he had by 3 seconds to get the ball out and when 3 seconds came he had more time, but he had already made his decision. Like when you’re playing Madden and you say, “x” will probably be open so you make up in your mind what you’re going to do when “y” was open the entire time but because you read cover 3 and not cover 2, you throw it anyway to the wrong guy. Probably a bad analogy but I think there’s been some of that with Brady. Not in terms of where he’s throwing it but with regard to how much time he’s giving himself to get the ball out.

8 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

How is he part of the problem? I keep asking and no one seems to be able to answer. What should he do differently?

And the idea there are 8 worse offensive groupings in the league is laughable. They have non-entities at TE (23 TE catches all year), a terrible run game, are starting a third string center and have no dynamic players at WR. They have no speed. Do you know why they keep using trick plays to score? Because they're WRs just can't get open otherwise. Nobody but Edelman can win 1v1, and he's always doubled.

As someone who has watched every offensive snap of every game this year, I can see Brady avoiding sacks and throwing passes that the receivers are either dropping, or missing.

Brady was the same player at the start of the season, when Gordon (and then Brown) were on the roster and Dorsett was relegated to a fourth string guy. Guys got open, he hit them.

James White is solid player, with a big-game mentality, but if he's the most dynamic offensive weapon on your roster...then you have a problem.

He's part of the problem because he has been playing poorly in several games. He's had significantly more errant passes this season. The Jets, Dolphins, Bengals, Giants, Eagles, and Cardinals all have comparable to worse offensive situations.

Edited by Malik

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Which is why I think Tom is part of the problem. If he displayed more pocket grit that he used to have a bit more of a few years ago, I don’t think he’s as frustrated because the offense would perform better.

Brady has missed some easy throws particularly to the flat. He hasnt been as good as normal. But this part I disagree with. His pocket movement and ability to evade sacks is probably as good as it has ever been. He often has a rusher in his face as soon as he drops back, and he has been able to get away from it a lot.

• Like 2

Brady is never the problem. He’s been so good for so long that he covered many deficiencies on the team. 

Now that he’s playing a little less than Goat level, everyone suddenly decides to turn on him

he’s a victim of his own success. The offense around him needs to step up. 

Brady has spent the better part of two decades defying the odds and rising to the occasion.

The only thing that matters is winning, which nobody is better at than him.

As mentioned previously, this same discussion happened last year. “Brady is falling off a cliff. He’s too old!” And he lead the Patriots to a Super Bowl victory.

New here so slap me if I’m violating a rule, but I’ll leave this here: 

8 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

If he didn't have the defense he has, there's no way he'd get close to the Super Bowl with the likes of Baltimore and San Francisco.  

.....So? And isn't that exactly what the dude you quoted said? I freaking wish the Packers had a great defense that afforded Aaron the luxury of just having to manage the offense and play within what the defense is giving them.