Injuries

Pandomonium

these injuries just keep piling up and we have two very tough must-win games coming up

has anyone heard anything recent about our injured defensive players? I feel like if Sherman, Ford, Williams, and Tartt would have played Sunday we would have won that game going away.

Tartt, Sherman, and Williams are self explanatory because they are in the secondary 

but Dee Ford's presence on the edge is sorely missed. We only got to Ryan like twice the whole game without blitzing and we never sacked Brees
Bosa is still playing his heart out but if pressure is only coming from that one side, smart QB's just slide over or step up to avoid Bosa and deliver the ball.

I honestly think if we cannot generate better coverage and/or a less anemic pass rush we could drop these last two games. and limp into the playoffs.

has anyone heard about any of these guys coming back before playoffs?

9 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

these injuries just keep piling up and we have two very tough must-win games coming up

has anyone heard anything recent about our injured defensive players? I feel like if Sherman, Ford, Williams, and Tartt would have played Sunday we would have won that game going away.

Tartt, Sherman, and Williams are self explanatory because they are in the secondary 

but Dee Ford's presence on the edge is sorely missed. We only got to Ryan like twice the whole game without blitzing and we never sacked Brees
Bosa is still playing his heart out but if pressure is only coming from that one side, smart QB's just slide over or step up to avoid Bosa and deliver the ball.

I honestly think if we cannot generate better coverage and/or a less anemic pass rush we could drop these last two games. and limp into the playoffs.

Williams - no word. Still in concussion protocol, which can take an indeterminate amount of time. The fact that he already missed a game despite no major history of concussions suggests that this was not a mild one. Could still possibly return this week. 

Tartt - Nearing return. Could possibly return as early as this week. 

Sherman - Initially was supposed to miss multiple games, then said he felt fine enough to have played last week if needed. Sounds like a signal he might give it a go this week. 

Ford - Out until the playoffs. Not sure if they would risk him against the Seahawks, but he should definitely miss this week. 

45 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

There is a balance that has to happen here. They are in the playoffs, so they need to be healthy for that so they have to balance getting guys healthy for that run.

in my opinion we need to have a "this is the playoffs now" mentality because of the ramifications on seeding if we drop these games

we lost to a highly depleted falcons team Sunday and could easily finish 0-3 over the last 3 games if we don't get our butts in gear and get healthy
going on the road for three straight weeks to get to the superbowl is not ideal. we seriously need to fight for that 1 or 2 seed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pandomonium said:

in my opinion we need to have a "this is the playoffs now" mentality because of the ramifications on seeding if we drop these games

we lost to a highly depleted falcons team Sunday and could easily finish 0-3 over the last 3 games if we don't get our butts in gear and get healthy
going on the road for three straight weeks to get to the superbowl is not ideal. we seriously need to fight for that 1 or 2 seed 

I agree, but not at the expense of rushing someone back and having them re injure themselves, in turn costing them a chance to be ready for the playoffs. By all accounts, Sherman should be back barring a setback, same for Julian Taylor. K'Waun and Tartt are the ones that need to be right before returning due to the overall impact they have on the scheme. Ford wont see action until the playoffs.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

What's the latest on Tartt? I saw yesterday that he didn't practice. Is there news that he could return this week?

Seems possible, but if to judge by smell, I'd say he will miss another game. Just a feeling (wild guess based on tweets).

We will see if he gets in any practice over the next couple days, however limited. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so who got injured yesterday? I feel like we were mostly injury-free. There was a Jimmie-scare in the 4th, and every time Jimmie Ward is on the ground, I always feel like his season is over, but he returned. So, who else?

And who do we have returning after the bye week? Garland has done a good job replacing Richburg so far, I think. I'm not counting on Kwon returning. Getting Tartt back will be HUGE. And Ford obviously. We've had our share of injuries, but every team does, and I feel like we're in a good place. We can make a run with these guys.

10 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Okay, so who got injured yesterday? I feel like we were mostly injury-free. There was a Jimmie-scare in the 4th, and every time Jimmie Ward is on the ground, I always feel like his season is over, but he returned. So, who else?

And who do we have returning after the bye week? Garland has done a good job replacing Richburg so far, I think. I'm not counting on Kwon returning. Getting Tartt back will be HUGE. And Ford obviously. We've had our share of injuries, but every team does, and I feel like we're in a good place. We can make a run with these guys.

No injuries of note yesterday, I'm pretty sure. 

Getting Tartt and Ford back is HUGE, especially if Ford can stay relatively healthy throughout the playoffs. I'm not expecting Kwon to come back, but if he's somehow able to make it back for the NFCCG if we were to win our divisional game, that may put the team over the edge to win it all. 

Edited by mw2noobbuster

45 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Getting Tartt and Ford back is HUGE, especially if Ford can stay relatively healthy throughout the playoffs. I'm not expecting Kwon to come back, but if he's somehow able to make it back for the NFCCG if we were to win our divisional game, that may put the team over the edge to win it all. 

Tartt should certainly be back. There is apparently still some doubt on whether or not Ford will even be back to start the playoffs. According to MM, from what J posted in the other thread, he hasn't even started rehab work yet. Long break with the two weeks certainly works in our favor, but will definitely have to pay attention to the practice reports. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I disagree on Garland, though I will say I had no problem with him against the Seahawks. If he can play like that with consistency, I'll be okay with it. But he was brutal enough previously to be concerned. 

Dee Ford is the wildcard in there. The assumption is he will return. The question is if his return has an effect on the pass rush, or has the pass rush just hit a wall late in the year. Big question going into the playoffs. If he has a positive effect, we have a real chance.