2020 - TCMD GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

6 minutes ago, winitall said:

It’s mostly about positional value and his soon to be free agency for me. Is it worth it to extend him for a 4 year 64 million deal that he would probably want?  Especially when realistically I’m not truly competing until 2 or 3 years into that deal. I would say that Golladay is a borderline top 10 WR but I’m not entirely sure he warrants the contract he will get. He’s consistently been one of the lower catch percentage players given his high level of targets and I’m not sure I see the value. He makes a lot of stunning plays but I think the value from the deal was where I get 2 immediate starters, a rotational player, and 2 very solid draft picks. With Engram and Hockenson, I think they compliment each other extremely well. Hockenson is a better blocker and can spend more time in-line but both are very good flexed out and would give a lot of formation versatility. 

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with Stafford and what direction you plan on taking the team.

But to me, I guess I don't see how those two trades you just made work together. So if you are in rebuilding mode, you should be looking to move on from Stafford and you are in a prime position at #3 to take a replacement in a good QB draft. If you are trading down to build depth and keeping an aging QB, why are you trading his best weapon? 

Again, this is all for fun but just wondering what the logic is from an outsider's perspective. 

Edited by EaglesPeteC

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with Stafford and what direction you plan on taking the team.

But to me, I guess I don't see how those two trades you just made work together. So if you are in rebuilding mode, you should be looking to move on from Stafford and you are in a prime position at #3 to take a replacement in a good QB draft. If you are trading down to build depth and keeping an aging QB, why are you trading his best weapon? 

Again, this is all for fun but just wondering what the logic is from an outsider's perspective. 

I’m in rebuilding mode. I think the question is really, how do you approach a rebuild? Do you try to build the team up around them first or do you take the QB and build around them later?  I am a huge fan of Tua but I don’t think he is a sure thing. I also think that I like Lawrence and potentially Fields in next years draft more. It makes more sense to me to build up the team this year and then do what it takes next year to get the QB in place in the future. If my team is not bad enough to secure one of them, I will still have 2 1sts and 2 2nds to move up and make it happen. 

8 minutes ago, winitall said:

I’m in rebuilding mode. I think the question is really, how do you approach a rebuild? Do you try to build the team up around them first or do you take the QB and build around them later?  I am a huge fan of Tua but I don’t think he is a sure thing. I also think that I like Lawrence and potentially Fields in next years draft more. It makes more sense to me to build up the team this year and then do what it takes next year to get the QB in place in the future. If my team is not bad enough to secure one of them, I will still have 2 1sts and 2 2nds to move up and make it happen. 

Didn't realize you acquired that much capital for next year. Not terrible logic (like I said I wasn't criticizing as much as asking). To me it is always a risky proposition to look at next year's QB's because so much can change, but you are right that you have built up enough draft capital to swing for the fences for a QB next season. 

edit: look at this year's Dolphins as an example. They punted on QB last year and traded away guys to go in tank mode for Tua. They won more games then they expected, Tua gets hurt which clouds things as well. Burrow came out of nowhere but now they have all this draft capital and cant even  get to #1 to get their QB because why would the Bengals give up the right to draft the QB? 

Edited by EaglesPeteC

Woah just when I thought it would get a bit boring for a few days, those trades came out of nowhere. Really like the trades by the Lions, not a huge fan from the Pats perspective. They must really love either Tua or Herbert to give up nearly all their roster... Not sure how i would feel about an offseason, where I lose so many starters, but they might get some of them back via FA.

The Lions on the other side might just got as many as 6 starters and a lot of amount to trade up for Lawrence next year, looks great for me...

Well I have a few reasons for the trade and shipping out the package I did for Kenny Golladay. The package begins with Evan Engram. He is one of the top ten receiving threats at TE in the league when healthy. Key phrase, when healthy. He has yet to play an entire season in his NFL Career, and due to his size, and the punishment he takes you can expect that trend to continue throughout his career. I thought dealing Engram would not hurt too bad, especially he will command an extension next season that will hit at around 7-10 million a season. Tomlinson is a player at a position of strength for us and was due an extension next offseason, another expendable piece for us. Carter is a player who has done a bit of everything on D for us, but never truly excelled at anything. He will also need an extension in two seasons, like Engram (post 5th Year Option). I didn't want to move the picks, but I guess this is the price you pay to deal. Adding a third earlier in the offseason for Sterling Shepard, the Giants still have a few picks to work with in the NFL draft. We gave up both Shepard & Engram this offseason, but the two players combined have not been as effective as Golladay has the past two seasons. The Dead Cap is combined at less than 2.5 mil so that wasn't going to stop me. I feel much more comfortable giving Golladay and extension over Engram. I believe that I will be able find a TE that can be a lower level option for DJ. With Barkley, Tate III, Slayton, and now Golladay, the Giants have good cache of weapons to for DJ to use on Sundays.

2 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i've had like six discussions and one of the six has had an actual response to engage in some form of negotiation lol 

To be fair I posted I wanted to trade out of wanting something to do but when the idea actually came up I’m kind of like meh I’m actually not interested in trading. Which for me is a big thing. I’m close to death or something.