Who would win right now on a neutral field? Chiefs or Saints

mdonnelly21

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which team would right now?

• Kansas City Chiefs
    • New Orleans Saints

This would be a fun game. I'd give the nod to the Chiefs, because, and this sounds weird coming out of my mouth, but I think that I may trust the defense more? The injuries have depleted the Saints front a little bit, and I don't know where I'm quite at with them right now. They gave up a ton to the 49ers at home, hammered the Colts and gave up nothing, then had some struggles with the Titans on the road. So I'm kind of nervous there. 

The Chiefs have had some very nice defensive performances lately, though most of the competition during that stretch has been questionable, so I'm not sure I'm completely buying in at this point, but yeah, I think I may give them the benefit here. 

So I'd say the Chiefs, something like 38-34. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

This would be a fun game. I'd give the nod to the Chiefs, because, and this sounds weird coming out of my mouth, but I think that I may trust the defense more? The injuries have depleted the Saints front a little bit, and I don't know where I'm quite at with them right now. They gave up a ton to the 49ers at home, hammered the Colts and gave up nothing, then had some struggles with the Titans on the road. So I'm kind of nervous there. 

The Chiefs have had some very nice defensive performances lately, though most of the competition during that stretch has been questionable, so I'm not sure I'm completely buying in at this point, but yeah, I think I may give them the benefit here. 

So I'd say the Chiefs, something like 38-34. 

I would just note that the Titans have been scoring a ton of points against everyone for the past 2 months, Points scored: 23, 27, 30, 35 (against Chiefs), 42, 31, 42, 21, and 28. The Saints got off to a poor start early in the 1st quarter going down 14 nothing, but seemed to have gotten things under control after that on the road in the rain against Tennessee. There are undoubtedly some concerns with the Saints defense, but more than anything they have been their own worst enemy committing sloppy avoidable penalties at an alarming rate at times this season. When they have avoided sloppy penalties, they have been pretty good defensively (Still give up some big plays, but overall pretty solid). Our biggest culprit has undoubtedly been Eli Apple, and he appears to have been replaced by Janoris Jenkins/Patrick Robinson, which seems to be a substantial upgrade at the moment. I'd also mention it has hurt us not having Kiko Alonso the past few weeks. He has been pretty solid for us compared to his replacements at LB on the Saints. Sounds like he should be ready to go hopefully this week for us. 

Edited by tyler735

Right now...Chiefs. But the Saints have lots of talent in the secondary and could definitely get healthy soon. Bell, Williams, and Apple have all been hurt recently. Gardner-Johnson is a stud, Lattimore is still really good, and I’m sure Jenkins will be caught up to speed soon. Not as worried about the secondary as much as the front four. The loss of Davenport and Rankins was huge...the Saints still have very good depth, but it’s just difficult to lose guys as talented as those two survive a drop off.  

47 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Right now...Chiefs. But the Saints have lots of talent in the secondary and could definitely get healthy soon. Bell, Williams, and Apple have all been hurt recently. Gardner-Johnson is a stud, Lattimore is still really good, and I’m sure Jenkins will be caught up to speed soon. Not as worried about the secondary as much as the front four. The loss of Davenport and Rankins was huge...the Saints still have very good depth, but it’s just difficult to lose guys as talented as those two survive a drop off.  

I'm not as concerned about the front 4 as some are. We still have solid depth on the DL. The emergence of guys like Shy Tuttle this year has also been helpful. I think we had like 5 sacks last game, and as long as Cameron Jordan stays healthy we should be able to generate some solid pressure as he commands a ton of attention from opposing OL's.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I'm not as concerned about the front 4 as some are. We still have solid depth on the DL. The emergence of guys like Shy Tuttle this year has also been helpful. I think we had like 5 sacks last game, and as long as Cameron Jordan stays healthy we should be able to generate some solid pressure as he commands a ton of attention from opposing OL's.

Fairley wasn't very explosive this year coming off of his achilles injury. But he did provide good depth and run defense. 

The Saints pass rush has not been as good the past few week since Davenport went down. He's also stronger against the run than Hendrickson. He's the guy we miss more than any other right now.

I tend to agree Fairley wasn't nearly the same force that he was last season, and Davenport will be missed, but I think Hendrickson surprises some people in Davenport's absence. Hendrickson was getting great reviews early on this year from training camp into the first couple weeks of the season where he had 3 sacks in the first 2 games. He lost snaps to Davenport as the year has gone on, but I think he could be a solid replacement. Not saying he is as good as Davenport, but I think he is still capable of generating pressure for us.

Saints seem like they'd match-up better. Chiefs would have to have an incredible game-plan to take away MT, Kamara, and Cooks. Mathieu will help but I hate the Chiefs LBs in space. Kamara should be able to feast. The Chiefs path to victory in that game would be a shoot-out. I don't think their defense slows down Brees and co.

16 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Saints seem like they'd match-up better. Chiefs would have to have an incredible game-plan to take away MT, Kamara, and Cooks. Mathieu will help but I hate the Chiefs LBs in space. Kamara should be able to feast. The Chiefs path to victory in that game would be a shoot-out. I don't think their defense slows down Brees and co.

Our defense has been playing much better than theirs. I get your point though if you think Kamara is an x factor. Dude is a beast. I'd just make this point. His YPC is 4.7 and LeSean McCoy's is 4.6. And we've already sat McCoy twice as a healthy scratch in games to keep him fresh for the superbowl run. I think our offense is more dynamic than theirs because Kelce is the best TE of the past 5 years, in his prime and playing better than ever, Sammy Watkins is a big step above Ted Ginn, and Mecole Hardman is one of the most productive WR's in the league anytime he touches the ball because he's the 2nd fastest guy in the league after Tyreek Hill.

Edited by Kirill

3 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Saints have that destiny feel this year to me - I don't think they lose again this season

Odds are against them if they don't get the bye, but they are definitely a talented enough team to be one of the few who plays on wild card weekend to make it to the super bowl