You decide: Do we move on from Carr this offseason?

RaidersAreOne

Should we move on from Carr this offseason  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move on from Carr this offseason?

• Yes. We know what we have and it's time to move on.
    • No. Give him one more chance.

Just now, Geezy said:

Legit question, has a team ever moved on from a QB entering his prime coming off a season in which he had a 100+ passer rating, or is half of Raider Nation off their meds? 

Stop looking at stats. So easy to have good stats these days. If you look at stats then Jacoby and Minshew look like good QBs on paper when both are terrible. Any Colt fan will tell you how bad Jacoby is.

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Stop looking at stats. So easy to have good stats these days. If you look at stats then Jacoby and Minshew look like good QBs on paper when both are terrible. Any Colt fan will tell you how bad Jacoby is.

Passer rating is a legit QB metric. 

3 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

I see what you are trying to say. Carr is essentially improving in areas of weakness due to being in a more traditional offense. He is learning to be a more traditional QB. Sadly, It's not getting us more wins.

I agree that Carr isn't processing the field as quickly as he should. And part of that is being comfortable with the offense. But once comfortable, processing should become 2nd nature. But if he can only play at a high level in a shotgun offense, then Gruden would have to adapt Carr's college offense for the pros. Can you see Gruden doing that?

Well I wouldn't even call it a college offense. Carr threw under center less than any other starting quarterback with at least 15 starts not named Kirk Cousins or Lamar Jackson in 2019 (the latter had 112 less attempts).

I actually think Carr generally processes the field fine. He sometimes swallows throws he should rip but it's nothing I'd call egregious and nothing you don't routinely see around the league even by better quarterbacks. I just think he looks far more comfortable when he's in a more passer friendly scheme (surprising, I know). Honestly, I think Gruden's offense stunts his and most quarterback's potential.

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

if its so easy why did only 4 afc qbs have passes ratings above 100?

29 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carr has played this ultra conservative way across five coaching staffs dating back to college. Saying this is on Gruden is another long list of never ending Carr excuses.

2016 he did not play ultra conservative. Wrong again bucko

31 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Dude.... You can't be that dense....

The team was a hot mess last year. With the IMPROVED ROSTER, this year's team had a chance for the playoffs. Carr's numbers were almost identical from last year to this year. So his improvement didn't do squat.

This years team was just a mild mess

31 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Dude.... You can't be that dense....

The team was a hot mess last year. With the IMPROVED ROSTER, this year's team had a chance for the playoffs. Carr's numbers were almost identical from last year to this year. So his improvement didn't do squat.

The roster is improved slightly due to 8 rookies and Trent Brown. 

Puhlease. We are a 4 win team again without Carr. 

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

This years team was just a mild mess

I wonder how hard it is to go through free agency, the draft, training camp, and preseason with the best WR in football. Then lose him 6 days before the opening game. Its almost like losing the best pass rusher in the league a week before opening night. 

3 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

The roster is improved slightly due to 8 rookies and Trent Brown. 

Puhlease. We are a 4 win team again without Carr. 

This is the last time I will respond to you.

The team had 4 wins last year WITH Carr.... So.... IMPROVED ROSTER

Honestly, I don't know why I responded in the 1st place. You are the guy that thinks Carr is better than Mahomes......

9 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

This is the last time I will respond to you.

The team had 4 wins last year WITH Carr.... So.... IMPROVED ROSTER

Honestly, I don't know why I responded in the 1st place. You are the guy that knows Carr is better than Mahomes......

Fixed that for you. 

They switch places, let Carr sit behind Alex Smith for and then give him Andy Reid and those weapons, and DC is finishing up back to back MVP seasons. 

Edited by OG_C2X

31 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Well I wouldn't even call it a college offense. Carr threw under center less than any other starting quarterback with at least 15 starts not named Kirk Cousins or Lamar Jackson in 2019 (the latter had 112 less attempts).

I actually think Carr generally processes the field fine. He sometimes swallows throws he should rip but it's nothing I'd call egregious and nothing you don't routinely see around the league even by better quarterbacks. I just think he looks far more comfortable when he's in a more passer friendly scheme (surprising, I know). Honestly, I think Gruden's offense stunts his and most quarterback's potential.

Well, we are stuck with Gruden for a decade unless there is an out clause. Just curious, who's offense would you put Carr in?

14 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Well, we are stuck with Gruden for a decade unless there is an out clause. Just curious, who's offense would you put Carr in?

I think he would be better almost anywhere else. Ideally a vertical passing offense like Kansas City; so, wherever Eric Bienemy ends up if that team already does not have a quarterback.

By the way, my post should read: "Carr through from shotgun less. . ."

14 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think he would be better almost anywhere else. Ideally a vertical passing offense like Kansas City; so, wherever Eric Bienemy ends up if that team already does not have a quarterback.

By the way, my post should read: "Carr through from shotgun less. . ."

Tampa runs a vertical offense (Arians). Has 2 VERY good WRs. Wouldn't want Jameis though. Maybe trade Carr for one of the WRs. Then we could get a stop gap QB in FA....

Carr Can't throw the deep ball. He is athletic, but he is not good at extending plays nor does he give you any yards with his feet. His passer rating is a mirage of 2 yard completions. He hasn't been the same since his back injury. He has had one winning season, and if he doesn't get hurt maybe he is a top QB. But, he isn't that guy anymore. He can win you games. If you surround him with elite talent and a great defense he can win, but he won't be the reason for the winning.

Its unfortunate. He really seemed to have it a few years back. All you have to do is watch him play to see the fear that exudes from his game. Fear of making mistakes, fear of throwing picks, fear of being hit. He is maybe the best in the league at throwing it inside 10 yards. But, he rarely lets it travel beyond that distance. I would love to see how many attempts he had over 20 yards through the air compared to other starters. 

Carr might get another year because Gruden wants to build the rest of the team, and we do need a WR, LB, CB in the worst way. Gruden might be comfortable with the idea that with a healthier roster and a few more key additions we have enough to get to the playoffs. That coupled with the reality that unless Tua falls to us there wont be a marque prospect available might just get Carr another year. But, it will be make or break. With this oline, TE, RB, and a shiny new WR1 even the most fervent Carr apologist will have nothing to defend. Especially, if the defense is top 15 or better which could be very possible with some better health and 2 or three key additions. One other thing to consider is Gruden might be very comfortable with a veteran. Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson were his guys. He likes vets, so I could see him bring in one of those kind of guys. Andy Dalton, Philip Rivers, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have either as competition to Carr.  

I hope we resign Karl Joseph. Abrams, Joseph, and Mullens are a good nucleus in the secondary. Joyner is serviceable, Isaiah Johnson is a ? Worley has the advantage of being flexible in terms of position. Erik harris  is a good backup and special teams contributor. The rest can be cut. I would let Worley walk if we cant get a good deal done. Karl Joseph I would pay. The LBs are a start over. 

• Like 2