You decide: Do we move on from Carr this offseason?

RaidersAreOne

Should we move on from Carr this offseason  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move on from Carr this offseason?

• Yes. We know what we have and it's time to move on.
    • No. Give him one more chance.

11 hours ago, Totty said:

No.

Two reasons:

1) There is currently no better option via trade, FA or draft.

2) He had the worst WR core in the NFL.

Not because I liked what I saw.  At the beginning of the year, I was 100% on board with Carr.  As the season progressed, it got worse.  I'm not above moving on from Carr, but at least make the argument fair.  Can't piss in a coffee pot and get tasters choice.  

Pretty much where I am at tbh. Don’t think anyone can say Carr is a top 10 qb at this point which is what everyone wants. Equally he isn’t a bottom tier QB imo. He’s been badly hampered by the surrounding talent (or lack of) which he needs to thrive. Grudens 2nd half play calling needs questioning also.

It was only 5 weeks ago that Carra biggest detractors were saying he was a top 15 QB, that we shouldn’t be looking to replace him and that he was having a great season. Since then Renfrow was injured, Jacobs has been out, Brown and Incognito injures and Moreau lost for the season. All of a sudden he is trash and we need to move on. 

If there is an upgrade available at the right price then you have to look at it but I wouldn’t have a problem riding Carr for another season whilst building the roster. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Probably because guys don’t want to be crucified for supporting Carr. 

I think it's funny people 'can't believe' we don't think Carr is the complete issue.  Ray Charles can see there's more going on than just him.  I voted no.  So funny the poll isn't going the way some wanted it too.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

On offense Doss, Rico, Richards, Smith and Washington 

On defense All LB, most S

You have to remember most of these players were signed during the season because of injuries.

I disagree on washinton and Richards and doss. Even if I agreed with you on all the players it wouldnt come close to half the roster. Its was a hyperbole comment. Just face it. 

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Pretty much where I am at tbh. Don’t think anyone can say Carr is a top 10 qb at this point which is what everyone wants. Equally he isn’t a bottom tier QB imo. He’s been badly hampered by the surrounding talent (or lack of) which he needs to thrive. Grudens 2nd half play calling needs questioning also.

It was only 5 weeks ago that Carra biggest detractors were saying he was a top 15 QB, that we shouldn’t be looking to replace him and that he was having a great season. Since then Renfrow was injured, Jacobs has been out, Brown and Incognito injures and Moreau lost for the season. All of a sudden he is trash and we need to move on. 

If there is an upgrade available at the right price then you have to look at it but I wouldn’t have a problem riding Carr for another season whilst building the roster. 

Serious question. How would we ever get a clear upgrade at the right price. Carr is never bad enough to get us a top 3 pick. Good qbs rarely ever hit the market. I mean bucs are considering signing winston back for that very reason. So at this point. We would need a Mariota/ Tannehill situation to happen. Or draft a 3rd or 4th round guy and hope he becomes something. Or peterman shocks the world. 

But this clear upgrade stuff rarely ever happens in the nfl. Teams just have to roll the dice and hope the  late draft pick or the reclamation project works. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Serious question. How would we ever get a clear upgrade at the right price. Carr is never bad enough to get us a top 3 pick. Good qbs rarely ever hit the market. I mean bucs are considering signing winston back for that very reason. So at this point. We would need a Mariota/ Tannehill situation to happen. Or draft a 3rd or 4th round guy and hope he becomes something. Or peterman shocks the world. 

But this clear upgrade stuff rarely ever happens in the nfl. Teams just have to roll the dice and hope the  late draft pick or the reclamation project works. 

I agree with this, my biggest fear with Carr is that he is QB Purgatory. . good enough to win but not to overcome adversity. 

when the raiders play well and disciplined the raiders are efficient and effective. But Carrs, live for the next play mentality, essentially means as soon as there is a drop or penalty, he isnt going to force anything, but instead punt and try again next time. It really angers me, but apparently, not as much as some here xD

I honestly believe this goes back to Todd Downing, who really forced this concept into Carr. We had Mack who was a causing turnovers, so it was fine to just punt and see what he could make happen lol.
For as frustrating as the games are to watch, Carrs, conservative approach will keep games close to the end (i know weve been blown out, but those games spiral).. and I do think that is something Gruden likes. 

I am tired of this play not to lose, instead of play to win mentality. 
This is something only Gruden Mayock and Carr truly know. 
If Gruden is actually getting on Carr to take more shots, but Carr refuses too, than we have to move on.
If Gruden is telling Carr to play for the next play, than, our mentality is play to not lose, and Carr will be back.

I really hope Gruden has been holding back some of the play book for Vegas/ Year 3/ and a young roster he built.  

I agree with all of this. The giants got two ridiculously lucky rings out of Eli, but he was pretty mediocre otherwise plus their defense was legit. They were stuck in qb purgatory for a long time but couldn't move on from a super bowl winning qb. People acted like McAdoo was the worst person in the world for benching Eli when he had been below average for years. Even if the roster is improved and Carr stays, the team will at best be a fringe playoff team.

I agree 100 per cent on Gruden's playcalling. We have seen some glimpses of innovation but he knows this is a rebuilding process and might not want to put his best stuff on tape with this roster.  Look at McVay with the Rams. They've been figured out. Additionally, I'm not sure the personnel we currently have will fit with all that he wants to do. I'm thinking and hoping that we have only scratched the surface of this offensive scheme.

Side note: When both coaches were hired, Vic Cotto ( who has fallen off the face of the Earth) said that Shurmur would coach circles around Gruden. Guess not. Haha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Probably because guys don’t want to be crucified for supporting Carr. 

17 in favor to keep him 13 to drop. I thought there wouldn't have been more than 5 to keep. Sometimes I get shocked here but I think you're right about people not wanting the heat. LOL

2 hours ago, dante9876 said:

I disagree on washinton and Richards and doss. Even if I agreed with you on all the players it wouldnt come close to half the roster. Its was a hyperbole comment. Just face it. 

You’re right but we’re still going to see massive turn over.

So out of curiosity and going back to my point about available FAs, how similar do you think the Gruden Duo's offenses are? 

Whether or not we bring Jay on, what would you guys say about kicking tires on Alex Smith if he's given the green light health wise? 

He seems like a QB Chucky would've liked but is guaranteed to be less mobile. If we do seek out a cheap option to push Carr (and possibly act as a bridge), Smith wouldn't be a terrible option would he? 

2 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Seriously?  The flavors of the week were all taken mid to late first. Mahommes, Jackson, Allen, etc. You can find a franchise QB in literally any round based on historical fact.  It's finding the right guy with the right supporting cast that is where the success comes in. 

Build the team up and go get your guy if the QB you have isn't getting it done.  That's what every winning franchise in the league is doing.  Then once you get that guy, you don't stop drafting QBs and developing them, even if they go on to have good careers with other teams.