Best Defense ever?

Bolts223

9 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I would put the 2015 Broncos over the 2013/2014 Seahawks. You have to look at the context of those entire teams: the Seahawks during those years had a Pro-Bowl QB in Russell Wilson and a power running game with Marshawn Lynch. An offense that was good and could control the game and grind out steady drives.

The 2015 Broncos had the corpse of Peyton Manning, one of the leagues worst O-lines and an offense that was good for maybe one drive a game. That defense single handedly won games for them that season. QB's like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady looked like they had PTSD after playing them. To me they just seemed to strike fear in a way that the Seahawks defenses didn't.

I think you're underselling Manning's importance in the postseason, Denver doesn't win the AFC without him. Unlike the SB versus Seattle, and other postseason games, Manning didn't lose his composure, and kept delivering key plays to move the chains. The numbers weren't great, but that's not the issue. Whether it was getting the Broncos off to a good start, or coming back to beat the Steelers in the opening round, Manning just delivered when Denver needed him to. Especially in the postseason, it's not about fantasy football, it's win or go home. Clearly, Manning realized he was on his last legs as a QB, but still had enough to go out a champion. The game stats don't reflect the checking down to different plays which was huge versus Pittsburgh, or helping Denver grab the important early lead against Carolina in the SB. The stage was too big for Cam Newton that evening.  

15 hours ago, Danger said:

I'm going with the 2000 Ravens. I don't think players of 1985 would be able to perform as well in today's NFL as a more modern team based on athleticism.

Neither would the 2000 Ravens. Which is why it's silly to try to compare (and place) either of them to today's game. It's better to judge them against their own peers during their respective years.

And on that note. '85 Bears.

On 9/15/2017 at 0:32 AM, Ragnarok said:

00 Ravens.  

I mean...they dominated all year and won a SB with arguably the worst SB-winning QB ever.  Even 2nd year Big Ben and the corpse of Peyton were better than Dilfer.  

I don't think that's even arguable.  Dilfer is head and shoulders above (or is it below) all other bad SB-winning QB's.  He is the worst.  You have to give that beastly 2000 Ravens D a lot of credit for what they did.  I personally like the '85 Bears the best, but that Ravens unit was incredible.  As a Vikings fan, I can also attest to the fact that the Steel Curtain defense was really nasty back in the 70's too.  The Purple People Eaters of that era were good, but the Steel Curtain was even better.

On 9/16/2017 at 4:24 PM, Buddyboy said:

1966 Packers had 6 future hall of fame players on defense.-_-

They still wouldn't be all that amazing in today's game though. "Different Era" yeah but the game has come a long way since then, in general the players have ALL gotten better by huge leaps and bounds. 

Lol, 2000 Ravens were ridiculous.  Their opposing QB ratings in the postseason:

Gus Ferrotte  -  44.3

Steve McNair-  52.4

Rich Gannon- 22

Kerry Collins -7.1

They didn't exactly play any Mannings or Bradys, but it's still hilarious to look at.

Kerry Collins stat line in that superbowl:

15/39, 112 yards, 2.9 y/a, 0 Tds, 4 INTs, sacked 4 times, 7.1 passer rating.

Just now, Danger said:

They still wouldn't be all that amazing in today's game though. "Different Era" yeah but the game has come a long way since then, in general the players have ALL gotten better by huge leaps and bounds. 

They probably wouldn't even be an NFL caliber defense in today's game.  The game has changed drastically since then.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

They probably wouldn't even be an NFL caliber defense in today's game.  The game has changed drastically since then.

I mean. Lets look at Joe Montana for example. People still rate him at #3 all time but he wouldn't even be a top 5 guy today. (probably) 

Archived