Dorsey officially fired

hornbybrown

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

So Dorsey was a problem now? 

Part of it, yes, imo.

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

In 2017 this was the worst roster in the NFL (maybe ever).

True.  But it was hound, with lots of young pieces and the most absurd war chest of assets the league has seen.

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

In two years a GM changes the team so much people expect them to go deep in the playoffs and now he’s a big problem? 

Using up those assets will do that.  

That was the plan, right? Lots of FA, use all the high picks and defer nothing for subsequent years, trade picks and young players for star WR’s on second contracts, etc.. 

Those are win now moves and we won 13 games in 2 seasons.

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

This team is so frustrating, I need to just follow the Buckeyes.  

I can’t in good conscience talk you out of that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

The nerd lovers will tell you that he was horrible with the cap (even though we are still well under) 

Due to carryover, not actual annual salaries.

thanks to Sashi of course.

Correct.

He didn't hit on as many picks as we think, and wasted the draft capital....thanks to Sashi of course

He didn’t hit on picks.  Just like Sashi. Just like other GM’s. 

I still believe he did well draft wise, I won’t knock him there.

And he alone was the one that hand picked Freddie...even though Dee and Jimmy sat in on all the interviews too.

He had final say, and it contradicted the nerd’s who wanted Stefanski, which looks like a smarter pick with hindsight.

He was in a tough spot, I’ll readily acknowledge that, but at the end of the day he chose a guy who was in over his head.  He owns that.

Now if he was so pissed that Freddie was fired, then that tells me he wanted a coach that wouldn't create a power struggle, and truly was worried about himself, and not the team....for sure a fireable offense

I think he wants some level of continuity, consistency and an actual attempt at building a program/culture, which is entirely correct, but Freddie wasn’t that guy.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Part of it, yes, imo.

True.  But it was hound, with lots of young pieces and the most absurd war chest of assets the league has seen.

Using up those assets will do that.  

That was the plan, right? Lots of FA, use all the high picks and defer nothing for subsequent years, trade picks and young players for star WR’s on second contracts, etc.. 

Those are win now moves and we won 13 games in 2 seasons.

I can’t in good conscience talk you out of that.

So he should have traded away the Chubb pick? Or the Ward pick? Or was there some GM willing to trade 4th round picks for 1st round picks? 

Again this team was terrible. You draft players and flip the roster.  He did that. 

This team has a lot of young talent. The trenches need improved, but the WR, RB, CB, and QB are set.  

This is literally a circle conversation so it won’t go anywhere.  Haslem’s suck and I hope they have to sell the team. How they were able to create a huge business is amazing to me.  They suck as leaders and finding new leaders.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

The nerd lovers will tell you that he was horrible with the cap (even though we are still well under)  thanks to Sashi of course.

He didn't hit on as many picks as we think, and wasted the draft capital....thanks to Sashi of course

And he alone was the one that hand picked Freddie...even though Dee and Jimmy sat in on all the interviews too.

Now if he was so pissed that Freddie was fired, then that tells me he wanted a coach that wouldn't create a power struggle, and truly was worried about himself, and not the team....for sure a fireable offense

He was really good at stripping this roster and getting draft capital. 

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

So he should have traded away the Chubb pick? Or the Ward pick? Or was there some GM willing to trade 4th round picks for 1st round picks? 

I said it then and I stand by it now with hindsight, I’d have traded down. Buffalo reportedly wanted to trade up for Allen, I would have taken that deal.

I liked Edmunds and James who would have been available in addition to picks 53 and 56 (assuming we didn’t get a better offer than the team 3 picks behind us).

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

Again this team was terrible. You draft players and flip the roster.  He did that. 

Eh, some parts were sure, some position groups were arguably better.

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

This team has a lot of young talent. The trenches need improved, but the WR, RB, CB, and QB are set.  

Completely agree, and Dorsey is to thank for a lot of that.

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

This is literally a circle conversation so it won’t go anywhere.  Haslem’s suck and I hope they have to sell the team. How they were able to create a huge business is amazing to me.  They suck as leaders and finding new leaders.  

Yes, completely agree.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JDD said:

He was really good at stripping this roster and getting draft capital. 

He’s drafted our 3/4 core defensive pieces in Garrett, Larry, and Schobert.  Potentially another in Peppers.

2018 was clearly going to be a QB regardless of the coach and analytics hugely favored Baker.

The 4th pick in 2018 was borderline idiot proof.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I said it then and I stand by it now with hindsight, I’d have traded down. Buffalo reportedly wanted to trade up for Allen, I would have taken that deal.

I liked Edmunds and James who would have been available in addition to picks 53 and 56 (assuming we didn’t get a better offer than the team 3 picks behind us).

Eh, some parts were sure, some position groups were arguably better.

Completely agree, and Dorsey is to thank for a lot of that.

Yes, completely agree.

I would rather a GM pick a player they value very high than gain more picks. If your rankings are not there for the pick go for the trade. But they really valued Ward as a great player and didn’t want to lose him.  

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s drafted our 3/4 core defensive pieces in Garrett, Larry, and Schobert.  Potentially another in Peppers.

2018 was clearly going to be a QB regardless of the coach and analytics hugely favored Baker.

The 4th pick in 2018 was borderline idiot proof.

I agree about the 4th pick. Why trade it if your guy is there? 

2 minutes ago, JDD said:

I would rather a GM pick a player they value very high than gain more picks. If your rankings are not there for the pick go for the trade. But they really valued Ward as a great player and didn’t want to lose him.  

Every GM believes in their top pick, and they still bust frequently.

Multiple picks is nothing more than more ping pong balls.  There are limits obviously, I’m not trading a 1 for the whole 7th round or anything crazy, but I’d rather have 12, 53, and 56 than 4.

2 minutes ago, JDD said:

I agree about the 4th pick. Why trade it if your guy is there? 

Because I love too many guys for there to be just one 😂 

Seriously though, Ward, Chubb, Smith, Edmonds, Minkah, James, and Nelson we’re all guys I liked a lot that year.