(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yes, the 4-2-5 under a now fired DC sucked. I’m not advocating we run his scheme.

When you don't have any capable safeties, aside from a sub-par 2019 Randall, and you don't have the ability to move that slot guy around as a hybrid LB/SS or even a slot corner value guy, running a 4-2-5 is just not a good idea. Perhaps it would have looked MARGINALLY better if Kirksey stays healthy, because then you have 2 bigger veterans as ILB's inside, but our LB got decimated at the point of attack as well against the run.

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

All 4 man fronts aren’t the same.

Wholeheartedly agree.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

When you don't have any capable safeties, aside from a sub-par 2019 Randall, and you don't have the ability to move that slot guy around as a hybrid LB/SS or even a slot corner value guy, running a 4-2-5 is just not a good idea. Perhaps it would have looked MARGINALLY better if Kirksey stays healthy, because then you have 2 bigger veterans as ILB's inside, but our LB got decimated at the point of attack as well against the run.

Wholeheartedly agree.

We definitely ran a scheme that didn’t maximize our talent, much like switching to a 3-4 would do.

We need another LB and a pair of safeties regardless of scheme, but in general our front is much better suited to a 4-3 imo.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We definitely ran a scheme that didn’t maximize our talent, much like switching to a 3-4 would do.

I'm not opposed to running a hybrid odd/even scheme were you have 3 down linemen as a change-up look situationally, as you can mix in odd vs. even fronts and have that 4th down as a "Rushman" hybrid (See: TJ Watt) that can rush or drop in coverage, while bringing various LB and secondary looks (blitzes, stunts, slot coverage looks, 1 high safety vs. 2 high, etc.) without really changing the run fits from the front 7 guys, but changing the entire scheme/identity to go exclusively that way would be a disaster IMO.

For example, you could have something like this:

Wilson Schobert   SLB                   Myles (as the Rushman...standup, only 1-2 yards off the LOS or in a Wide 9)

Richardson    DT       Ogunjobi

or

Wilson                Schobert                   SLB

DE Richardson Ogunjobi Myles (as the DE hand in the dirt)

We need another LB and a pair of safeties regardless of scheme, but in general our front is much better suited to a 4-3 imo.

We need a true SAM LB, as I think Wilson is built for a WLB. He's rangy, instinctive, solid in coverage, and good sideline to sideline, but gets absolutely crushed at the point of attack. Schobert is actually an ideal MLB. Our safety situation is one of the worst in the league, and we still need another disruptive/rotational athletic DT type, and I'm confident we can get a replacement level 1 Tech 2 down DT in free agency.

I would not be opposed to a hybrid SS/LB as that 3rd LB/extra SS if he can hold up at the point of attack...but that extra hat up top is just not ideal. A Vonn Bell type in free agency would be a nice get.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Was he any good at it?  Don’t specifically recall. Though the depths of my memory tell me people weren’t happy with him there. 

If he was? Great we still need to account for %66 of our dline. 

Yeah, he was. Richardson was looking like he could be elite during his time with the Jets.

With that said, I'd rather stick with a 4-3. We just need a coordinator who will play to our players' strengths.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Anyone got any clues as to why randall didnt get near the ball this year after being a ball most of his career? I thought he was going to male his way to being over payed.

We ran a lot of Cover 3, with him as a single high S, meaning we were hoping to concede a lot of underneath routes and have more of our LB make plays in the seams, while he was stressed vertically in two areas. Aside from him being hurt a lot, he really struggled in the seams from slots/TE, and to be fair, that's a tough ask of many S types. He didn't have the same freedom to be a roaming/cap on those deep routes like last year.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

We ran a lot of Cover 3, with him as a single high S, meaning we were hoping to concede a lot of underneath routes and have more of our LB make plays in the seams, while he was stressed vertically in two areas. Aside from him being hurt a lot, he really struggled in the seams from slots/TE, and to be fair, that's a tough ask of many S types. He didn't have the same freedom to be a roaming/cap on those deep routes like last year.

So he did his job relatively quietly. 

I always like havig a free ssfety that goes for qb ober throws, we have dkne well with it in the past with tashaun gipson. 

Id like to see us man up with ward and greedy and the  have a fs go agter the ball on over throws.

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

So he did his job relatively quietly. 

Yes/No. I'm not a Randall fan, but he was asked to do a lot/we didn't maximize what he's good at. He's not a single high safety that can run the alley. He's actually a terrible tackler in those areas. He's a roaming/ball hawk and instinctive player downfield. Asking him to cover seam routes was difficult for him.

I always like havig a free ssfety that goes for qb ober throws, we have dkne well with it in the past with tashaun gipson. 

That's more of his type. Ball Hawk.

Id like to see us man up with ward and greedy and the  have a fs go agter the ball on over throws.

I 100% agree. Ward and Greedy were drafted/made for man/press man coverage. Running soft zone with them is a waste, especially because you're asking Greedy, who is a GARBAGE TACKLER, to tackle a lot of hitches, slants, and underneath routes that he's conceding. It doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm not opposed to running a hybrid odd/even scheme were you have 3 down linemen as a change-up look situationally, as you can mix in odd vs. even fronts and have that 4th down as a "Rushman" hybrid (See: TJ Watt) that can rush or drop in coverage, while bringing various LB and secondary looks (blitzes, stunts, slot coverage looks, 1 high safety vs. 2 high, etc.) without really changing the run fits from the front 7 guys, but changing the entire scheme/identity to go exclusively that way would be a disaster IMO.

For example, you could have something like this:

Wilson Schobert   SLB                   Myles (as the Rushman...standup, only 1-2 yards off the LOS or in a Wide 9)

Richardson    DT       Ogunjobi

or

Wilson                Schobert                   SLB

DE Richardson Ogunjobi Myles (as the DE hand in the dirt)

We need a true SAM LB, as I think Wilson is built for a WLB. He's rangy, instinctive, solid in coverage, and good sideline to sideline, but gets absolutely crushed at the point of attack. Schobert is actually an ideal MLB. Our safety situation is one of the worst in the league, and we still need another disruptive/rotational athletic DT type, and I'm confident we can get a replacement level 1 Tech 2 down DT in free agency.

I would not be opposed to a hybrid SS/LB as that 3rd LB/extra SS if he can hold up at the point of attack...but that extra hat up top is just not ideal. A Vonn Bell type in free agency would be a nice get.

I don’t mind mixing fronts to keep offenses guessing, every team should be doing that.

Our LB’s and S are not good and we need an infusion of both talented rookies and vets.

• Like 1

I don’t mind mixing fronts to keep offenses guessing, every team should be doing that.

Our LB’s and S are not good and we need an infusion of both talented rookies and vets.

If i could flip the obj/vernon trade i would. 

Our defense was depleted and not bolstered because of it. And our ofense didnt spark with obj. 

We would also be able to add a 1st and 3rd rounder 

Yes/No. I'm not a Randall fan, but he was asked to do a lot/we didn't maximize what he's good at. He's not a single high safety that can run the alley. He's actually a terrible tackler in those areas. He's a roaming/ball hawk and instinctive player downfield. Asking him to cover seam routes was difficult for him.

He is an exclusive free safety and his second position is corner, for decades we havent been able to figure out how to tight ends

I 100% agree. Ward and Greedy were drafted/made for man/press man coverage. Running soft zone with them is a waste, especially because you're asking Greedy, who is a GARBAGE TACKLER, to tackle a lot of hitches, slants, and underneath routes that he's conceding. It doesn't make any sense.

It reeks of the general incoherence of our organization. Dorsey likes man cover people. We hire a zone guy. The zone guy cant adapt anything. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He is an exclusive free safety and his second position is corner, for decades we havent been able to figure out how to tight ends

This fact also coincided with the fact we generally don’t invest in off ball linebackers.

14 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It reeks of the general incoherence of our organization. Dorsey likes man cover people. We hire a zone guy. The zone guy cant adapt anything. 

Yep

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Yeah, he was. Richardson was looking like he could be elite during his time with the Jets.

With that said, I'd rather stick with a 4-3. We just need a coordinator who will play to our players' strengths.

Ahh thanks for the info, I really couldn’t remember. 

17 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

This I can get onboard with. I’ve been saying this for just about 20 years. What a novel concept, designing offense or defense to your players strengths. Unfortunately most coaches are too pig headed to change their philosophies.

That's why I'm intrigued by Greg Roman as HC candidate.

I'm also on board with the hell no to the 3-4 sentiment here. We've been drafting for the 4-3 and Wilk's 5-2 or whatever scheme for the bast handful of years, with the way things go here, the minute we start drafting for the 3-4 the organization gets shook up again and some of those pieces are obsolete for the new regime's scheme.